Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Kakko's ceiling looks like an decent defensive winger. Offensively he is useless on the rush, but I believe there's some more offensive ability in him if he finds a team that likes to play more cycle. Not anywhere close what he was drafted for though. His first step isn't quick enough to create seperation at NHL level, which kills the offensive game he was drafted for. Still young, but after so many years with no progress, it's unlikely to change.

Imo it wouldnt be a horrible add if the price is low and they trade for him with the specific idea of molding him into a long-term defensive 3RW.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Why add Kakko?? What does he bring that we don’t have already in spades on the wings??? I really think some people in the CBJ fanbase are enamored with the bright shiny toy.

1. We need an upgrade on the defense
2. We need a veteran/capable 2C that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
3. Strong veteran to the bottom 6 that has been a proven winner.
4. Goalie that does their job and stays relatively healthy.

Kakko fits none of that criteria. Necas possibly but he hasn’t played center for a while and if it doesn’t work out we have an unhappy winger.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
being fully transparent: i would worry a lot less about being bitten in the ass trading him to Columbus
Fully transparent
You’re a homer for NY
No harm in that
We love the Jackets on this end
But if you are going to propose a trade at least understand that if a player fits Carolina then propose your trade with them
Be realistic
A GM won’t propose a trade that is so one sided and expect a positive outcome

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Probably not worth the acquisition cost and ensuing long term cap requirement. Unless if he could be had for something unrealistic like Laine + Sillinger + next year’s 1st
The only reason I'm hesitant would be how does he perform away from McD and being THE main guy. And that's considering a "realistic" offer of something like 4oa(extremely valuable to a team who is about to be cash strapped), 25 1st(top 5 protected), KJ +

This is a guy who in his first full season in the NHL, would've finished the season 2nd on the Jackets in scoring this year. Which begs the question, is that remotely possible here. Can he drive play while being the main focus of opposing teams?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The only reason I'm hesitant would be how does he perform away from McD and being THE main guy. And that's considering a "realistic" offer of something like 4oa(extremely valuable to a team who is about to be cash strapped), 25 1st(top 5 protected), KJ +

This is a guy who in his first full season in the NHL, would've finished the season 2nd on the Jackets in scoring this year. Which begs the question, is that remotely possible here. Can he drive play while being the main focus of opposing teams?

I have the same reservations about him carrying a line, but to play devil’s advocate I’d imagine he would have better quality linemates here considering he’s playing with Holloway and Foegele

Reactions: MAHJ71 and CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Drai is a top 10 player in the league right now, he just happens to play on the team with the top 1.

There are two guys on the Jackets I wouldn’t include in whatever package it took. There are probably combinations of guys I wouldn’t want to trade.

I seriously doubt there’s any chance he gets here.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I have the same reservations about him carrying a line, but to play devil’s advocate I’d imagine he would have better quality linemates here considering he’s playing with Holloway and Foegele
Oh yeah, I can only imagine him centering Johnny. I think they'd mesh pretty well.
Drai is a top 10 player in the league right now, he just happens to play on the team with the top 1.

There are two guys on the Jackets I wouldn’t include in whatever package it took. There are probably combinations of guys I wouldn’t want to trade.

Yeah, I'm not making any illusions of grandure that he's realistically going to get moved here.

But I mean if I want to turn the franchise around as a new GM and one of the best centers in the league is potentially available, I'm at the very least kicking some tires.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm trying to think of who your 2nd guy is. Maybe I need to look up the lineup and I'm just forgetting someone.

Draisaitl just had a great playoff with a broken rib and broken finger. I don't have any obvious untouchables for him, maybe one, I'd have to think about it.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Why add Kakko?? What does he bring that we don’t have already in spades on the wings??? I really think some people in the CBJ fanbase are enamored with the bright shiny toy.

1. We need an upgrade on the defense
2. We need a veteran/capable 2C that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
3. Strong veteran to the bottom 6 that has been a proven winner.
4. Goalie that does their job and stays relatively healthy.

Kakko fits none of that criteria. Necas possibly but he hasn’t played center for a while and if it doesn’t work out we have an unhappy winger.
Defensive add to bottom 6 would be the reason to do it. He's not a veteran but he does have 5 seasons and +40 playoff games played. So veteran in CBJ scale, lol.

It's not in any way a major or important add, but I do think he'd improve the goals against of this team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Defensive add to bottom 6 would be the reason to do it. He's not a veteran but he does have 5 seasons and +40 playoff games played. So veteran in CBJ scale, lol.

It's not in any way a major or important add, but I do think he'd improve the goals against of this team.

I checked and Kakko does indeed have a good record at suppressing chances and goals against.

It's tricky though, you've got to subtract someone to make room. And I think our 4th liners are the least of our issues with goals against, it's more up lineup, where Kakko might not be a skill fit.

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
There is no trade list some players of Seattle Krakens (from one fan of Krakens, don't ask me his source, I don't know it). ⤵️

Bjorkstrand - 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo, Columbus, Los Angeles
Burakowski - 7 Canadian teams + Washington, Buffalo, Colorado
McCann - 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo, Florida, Pittsburgh
Tanev - Calgary, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Winnipeg + 6 the worst teams
Gourde - Montreal + 22 the best teams except Tampa

Oleksiak - 15 West teams + Pittsburgh
Larsson - 7 Canadian teams + Florida, Buffalo, New Jersey
Dumoulin - 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo, Carolina, Pittsburgh

Grubauer - 7 Canadian teams + Colorado, Washington, Buffalo

So, MacDavid doesn't help Edmonton to get players, 7 players don't want to play there. 😎

Btw, interesting, except Bjorkie, what is understandable, players don't have Columbus on their no-trade list, on the other side Buffalo 6x, Pittsburgh 4x, Colorado 2x, Florida 2x, Washington 2x, Carolina, New Jersey, Los Angeles and New Jersey 1x, if only American teams. 🤔
whoever originally posted this made it up. players don't have to submit their no-trade list until the team asks them to do so, and they typically don't ask unless they are about to trade them.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
whoever originally posted this made it up. players don't have to submit their no-trade list until the team asks them to do so, and they typically don't ask unless they are about to trade them.
I thought players needed to submit a list at the beginning of the NHL calendar each year. There was a timeline for the list to be submitted and that it's not fluid to where they submit when they want or are asked. I could be wrong, but I know I've read that somewhere.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I thought players needed to submit a list at the beginning of the NHL calendar each year. There was a timeline for the list to be submitted and that it's not fluid to where they submit when they want or are asked. I could be wrong, but I know I've read that somewhere.
players don't have to submit a list until the team asks them to do so, and there is no central registry of which teams are on each list. but iirc once they submit that list it is in effect until the end of the league year.

Reactions: Xoggz22

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

Can't help but think we're gonna be involved..
Have to pose this question. Under Jarmo and JD Boone has been untouchable. But with Waddell talking about culture and the locker room, could that impact the captain’s status?

Look, I’m not advocating Boone being traded as I like his contract, 100% on ice effort, and production. But I thought it a fair question to put in play.

Reactions: CBJx614

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Have to pose this question. Under Jarmo and JD Boone has been untouchable. But with Waddell talking about culture and the locker room, could that impact the captain’s status?

Look, I’m not advocating Boone being traded as I like his contract, 100% on ice effort, and production. But I thought it a fair question to put in play.
Waddell never moved Jordan Staal. Jenner is in the same position here imo.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

I think you have to consider it, especially if it means getting another first round pick or another value add for the team. But I'm also not Jenner's biggest fan here, so I won't miss him if he's gone.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

I think you have to consider it, especially if it means getting another first round pick or another value add for the team. But I'm also not Jenner's biggest fan here, so I won't miss him if he's gone.
unpopular opinion but i think the jackets are in prime position to move jenner for a pick in the 10-12 neighborhood (njd, buf, phi).

what would then be really fun is a galaxy-brain series of moves where they then flip laine + 10-12oa to utah for #6, then walk away with two of demidov/lindstrom/sennecke/buium/silayev.

could then backfill the 'intangibles' side of things by taking on another team's veteran cap dump, and save up to swing big the next time a true #1 center hits the trade market.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I have had two good friends move away after their wives had a late term miscarriage and a still birth. They couldn’t take living in Columbus anymore because everything they had planned for didn’t happen. I can’t imagine living in a house with the kid’s room already put together and then no kid.

I have been an advocate for trading Boone before but now I say leave it 100% to Boone and his wife. If they want to stay and try to build a family here because they feel like they have a great support system, let them. If they think it is time to move on, send him somewhere where they will feel supported — the return is secondary.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I checked and Kakko does indeed have a good record at suppressing chances and goals against.

It's tricky though, you've got to subtract someone to make room. And I think our 4th liners are the least of our issues with goals against, it's more up lineup, where Kakko might not be a skill fit.

He did show some signs of life 22-23, scoring 40 points in 82 games with 15:18 TOI per game and I don't think he was on the PP much. I think this season he had some injury and maybe covid (or maybe that was some other year?) and never looked very good after that.

From what I've seen of him, it's not that he seems to do anything wrong on ice, just usually nothing seems to happen at either end of the ice. Which for the Jackets might be a good thing... :D

I used to rate him really high, I thought he was as sure a bet a prospect can be for becoming a good middle-6 forward with top line upside, this based on how he played vs men as a teenager and his play style which I thought would translate well. For whatever reason seems like he hasn't realized that potential, at least in the Rangers. I haven't watched him enough in the NHL to have any educated idea why that might be, I guess partially lack of opportunity but also foot speed etc. have been brought up. He at least used to be good in tight and along the boards.

I'm not saying CBJ should necessarily be targeting him, but if NYR is shopping him around and the price is right, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, at worst case he's a pretty solid bottom-6er and his skill set is something CBJ could use more of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad