PGT: Gold Medal Game - May 21 - Canada (1) vs Sweden (2) (SO) Part II

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Poor Karlsson, most likely going to lose to the Penguins and just missed out on gold. Thanks for eliminating Lundqvist and sending him to us lol.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Congrats, Sweden, on pulling out the win in the SO. Since Sochi it has been a rare achievement for any other nation to defeat Canada's Men's team at any level.

For Canada this is literally a case of the expression - you can't win them all.

This tournament will always be kind of meh in North America until it draws from all the top talent all nations have to offer. I think that is why there is so much emphasis on the Olympic here and Word Cup. Not sending your very best will not get you the media attention moving forwarded. It's nice to win any trophy I suppose so even if a team of bobcats brought back a championship banner I'd be happy. But congrats to Sweden. Definitely the better team in the shootout.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats to Team Sweden. Once the game was going to the Shootout- i knew Sweden was going to win, since it came down to Pickard vs. King Henrik.
With the roster that was constructed this year- i thought Canada would have a very hard time reaching the Gold Medal Game, especially relying on Johnson/Pickard in net. However- this team surpassed my expectations.

In the end- the Shootouts are a joke. It is like a baseball playoff game decided by a Home Run contest, a NFL playoff game decided by a field goal competition, and a NBA playoff game decided by a 3 Point contest. Shootouts are fine for the Round Robin Games, but they are a joke to decide a Gold Medal Game. I would have said the same thing if Canada had won. I have said the same thing in the past- when watching other games. The IIHF needs to change this stupid rule. Just like in the NHL Playoffs- you play until one team scores.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Also have to laugh at all the "Canada played it's D team and Sweden had their best players"

Sweden could've shored up their D rather significantly with Karlsson, Lindholm, Ekholm, etc. even if Canada would obviously benefit even more because that was their weakest position this tournament. You wouldn't get much more than what Pickard gave you this tournament even with your best three goalies available, and an injured Lundqvist is still up there, especially as determined as he was to bring home a gold. Then your forward corps was already much better than Sweden's, so they'd probably benefit about as much from getting guys like Forsberg, Silfverberg, Rakell, Sedins etc. instead of Nordström, Söderberg, Lundqvist et al. than you would by replacing guys like Giroux with a Seguin, even though your top guys are obviously more impressive.

Such deflection is pretty embarrassing, especially when coupled with "Congrats on your tainted, insignificant, skill competition win in this tournament we don't care about", but no less expected.

Good game, good championship. Majority of fans are classy, which is nice!

ciderfylla

Dec 28, 2015
This tournament will always be kind of meh in North America until it draws from all the top talent all nations have to offer. I think that is why there is so much emphasis on the Olympic here and Word Cup. Not sending your very best will not get you the media attention moving forwarded. It's nice to win any trophy I suppose so even if a team of bobcats brought back a championship banner I'd be happy. But congrats to Sweden. Definitely the better team in the shootout.

It's not just North America, mate. The tournament has a similar status in Sweden. It's not just because a lot of the major talent is missing, but also because the tournament is held every damn year. There'd be more prestige involved if it wasn't held as often.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Congrats to Sweden, well deserved win. All this A/B/C team talk is BS, the same argument s could be made for both teams.

One thing this tournament has proved to me is how much I love watching international hockey -- really hope the NHL gets their heads out of their ***** and gets the NHL to PyeongChang.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Also have to laugh at all the "Canada played it's D team and Sweden had their best players"

Sweden could've shored up their D rather significantly with Karlsson, Lindholm, Ekholm, etc. even if Canada would obviously benefit even more because that was their weakest position this tournament. You wouldn't get much more than what Pickard gave you this tournament even with your best three goalies available, and an injured Lundqvist is still up there, especially as determined as he was to bring home a gold. Then your forward corps was already much better than Sweden's, so they'd probably benefit about as much from getting guys like Forsberg, Silfverberg, Rakell, Sedins etc. instead of Nordström, Söderberg, Lundqvist et al. than you would by replacing guys like Giroux with a Seguin, even though your top guys are obviously more impressive.

Such deflection is pretty embarrassing, especially when coupled with "Congrats on your tainted, insignificant, skill competition win in this tournament we don't care about", but no less expected.

:laugh: That's such sincere congratulations.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Poor Karlsson, most likely going to lose to the Penguins and just missed out on gold. Thanks for eliminating Lundqvist and sending him to us lol.

Karlsson wasn't going to join team Sweden anyways even if his team got knocked out early. He has been playing with a broken.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Good game. Who cares that it ended in a shootout, that's how International play as always been.

The entire tournament marvelled over Marner and Nylander, the scariest part is, the biggest head of that three headed monster was at home in Scottsdale Arizona.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Good game. Who cares that it ended in a shootout, that's how International play as always been.

The entire tournament marvelled over Marner and Nylander, the scariest part is, the biggest head of that three headed monster was at home in Scottsdale Arizona.
Toronto is so lucky. I love McDavid, but Nylander + Marner + Matthews > McDavid.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
905 SV% vs Sens. below league avg. stats are your friend

Lundqvist gave up a couple of bad goals in the Sens series, but people seem to forget that Staal, Holden, Girardi (and even Skjei and McDonaugh were shaky at times) 1) turning the puck over left and right 2) not covering players in front of the net or 3) getting beat in front of the net. They're also very good at screening their goalie and deflecting pucks into their own net.

Stats alone don't include the gimp factor on defense.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto

I don't think any Canadian fans are discrediting the win by Sweden, good job! :handclap: but the tournament's clout and prominence in the hockey world maybe? You obviously skipped over my earlier comments so I'll be glad to repeat them. This tournament will never get the notoriety in North America because is not a best on best, period! I said the same thing the last two years when Canada won. Meh!!

So don't be gloat so much. If you want we can arrange a game against Canada's Olympic Gold Medal team vs Sweden if you prefer to settle this? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad