PGT: Gold Medal Game - May 21 - Canada (1) vs Sweden (2) (SO) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finland is actually producing some great young D's at the moment, it won't take long we are close :)

Plus we got better star forwards and goalies coming :)

We also missed a guy eg. Joni Pitkanen who got injured for lifetime etc.

Name them.

Sweden have Hedman, Lindholm, Larsson, Klefbom, Karlsson, Ekholm, Brodin, OEL, Klingberg, Hjalmarsson, Forsling, Dahlin, Liljegren, Brännström, G.Carlsson, J.Larsson, and many more. You really think Finland will surpass this? I would be shocked.

Forwards: Aho, Rantanen, Laine, Pulju and who more? Sweden have Silfverberg, Rakell, Nylander, Arvidsson, Forsberg, Wennberg etc....I dont see how Finland will be better.

Goalies? Saros? What about Markström, Lehner, Sandström, Söderström etc.

Haha, you lost Pitkanen when he was 29 mate. We lost Kim Johnsson at the same age.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I like MacKinnon too, he looks bigger on the ice than he actually is?

MacKinnon is only 183cm but a pretty heavy dude (about 93kg) with great balance, strength and very difficult stopping when he is cruising through the middle.

No wonder Landeskog enjoys playing with him.

Probably one of the very best players in the world on big ice, he's obviously very good in the NHL as well. But what in the world has happened to Duchene? Been a treat watching him play almost every year at the WC but I barely noticed him this tournament.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Congrats to Team Sweden. Once the game was going to the Shootout- i knew Sweden was going to win, since it came down to Pickard vs. King Henrik.
With the roster that was constructed this year- i thought Canada would have a very hard time reaching the Gold Medal Game, especially relying on Johnson/Pickard in net. However- this team surpassed my expectations.

In the end- the Shootouts are a joke. It is like a baseball playoff game decided by a Home Run contest, a NFL playoff game decided by a field goal competition, and a NBA playoff game decided by a 3 Point contest. Shootouts are fine for the Round Robin Games, but they are a joke to decide a Gold Medal Game. I would have said the same thing if Canada had won. I have said the same thing in the past- when watching other games. The IIHF needs to change this stupid rule. Just like in the NHL Playoffs- you play until one team scores.

I prefer the IIHF overtime over the Stanley Cup version because at the WC, you will see 4 consecutive period of blow it all out hockey. In the SC, you have to play more conservative and hold back a bit in order to retain energy for 2, 3, or 4 OT periods. Get 4 blowout periods on ice, and then settle it with a skill contest is the best way.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Probably one of the very best players in the world on big ice, he's obviously very good in the NHL as well. But what in the world has happened to Duchene? Been a treat watching him play almost every year at the WC but I barely noticed him this tournament.

I haven't been that high on Duchene as everybody else. In Colorado the fans has loved him for years but now I believe they are starting to slowly realize that he is not the second coming of Forsberg? Duchene if for sure better than this past catastrophy season though, lots of trade rumours as well. Not sure why Duchene isn't one of my favorites, maybe I think he is lacking some defensive awareness and physical play, tons of skill and talent though.

It's cool that MacKinnon is from the same small town in Canada as Sidney Crosby (Cole Harbour in Nova Scotia). They are friends and do some off season training together as well.

Good videos in this article as well. MacKinnon is a super explosive skater.
http://milehighsticking.com/2016/06...athan-mackinnon-can-learn-from-sidney-crosby/

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Finland is actually producing some great young D's at the moment, it won't take long we are close :)

Help is definitely on the way but c'mon it won't be close anytime soon. Not to mention that the Swedes keep on pumping even more elite potential defensemen like Dahlin to the scene. Finland cannot match that in any way.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/yAnBa/hemligheten-bakom-nylanders-superkropp/promo

"Secret behind Nylander's suber body!" :laugh:

Even we in Finland don't stoop this low in celebrations, and we have a habit of stooping *low*. :)

The article is from the 16th of May, so it doesn't really have anything to do with Sweden celebrating their win. More like swedish media doing their usual bs, which is creating pointless clickbaity articles. Aftonbladet especially are notorious for this. You see fitness articles like this one all the time over there.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Name them.

Sweden have Hedman, Lindholm, Larsson, Klefbom, Karlsson, Ekholm, Brodin, OEL, Klingberg, Hjalmarsson, Forsling, Dahlin, Liljegren, Brännström, G.Carlsson, J.Larsson, and many more. You really think Finland will surpass this? I would be shocked.

Forwards: Aho, Rantanen, Laine, Pulju and who more? Sweden have Silfverberg, Rakell, Nylander, Arvidsson, Forsberg, Wennberg etc....I dont see how Finland will be better.

Goalies? Saros? What about Markström, Lehner, Sandström, Söderström etc.

Haha, you lost Pitkanen when he was 29 mate. We lost Kim Johnsson at the same age.
Yeah Sweden is way more talented than Finland in every position. They're the third best country after Canada and the US at producing talent as of late. Finland is still pretty far behind

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Yeah Sweden is way more talented than Finland in every position. They're the third best country after Canada and the US at producing talent as of late. Finland is still pretty far behind
Since 2013 there has been Barkov, Ristolainen, Laine, Aho, Rantanen, Saros, Puljujärvi and many more in this year's draft.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
The article is from the 16th of May, so it doesn't really have anything to do with Sweden celebrating their win. More like swedish media doing their usual bs, which is creating pointless clickbaity articles. Aftonbladet especially are notorious for this. You see fitness articles like this one all the time over there.

Af, rats, didn't look the date. So, it's just us and our paperdolls, then. :laugh:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Sweden cares about its hockey, and that deserves a lot of respect. No A vs A nonsense, that was some pretty good hockey yesterday and it was a treat to follow Canada this year.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Good for you Sweden, it would be pretty boring if Canada won every competition. Hockey is what binds us together as brothers and sisters of the game. I hope the NHL allows all thier players to compete in the Olympics in South Korea; I want to see Canada send all of our best players. This was Canada's B-team, or at least some of the players were. I think everyone knows this. I'm not sure about Sweden, but I assume they had the majority of thier best players there.

Canada couldn't send all thier best players, many declined due to injury, needed​ rest from the NHL season and train for next season, or are still competing for the hardest trophy in all of team sports - The Stanley Cup.

I would have preferred no shootouts for the gold medal game. It's a lame way to end a team competition and turn it into a an individual skills game. This isn't soccer, no offence to soccer but hockey is all about the team, not the individual. Sweden had the better goalie that day, and I knew that would be what made difference.

Enjoy the win Sweden, but don't forget what could happen if you face Canada's best players next time around we meet
https://youtu.be/MB-5_bgqRZU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad