PGT: Gold Medal Game - May 21 - Canada (1) vs Sweden (2) (SO) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Yaay :)

attachment.php

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Classy Canadian and Finnish fans, thanks!

I will try to remember next time when Sweden loose. ;-)

Most definetely! They were really classy, the finns deserve special credit because it's always harder to accept a loss against your brother nation.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think most would agree not having Scheifele in the shootout with Mackinnon, ROR and Point keep it alive as the first 4 would be 2nd guessed. We lost, and that is fine in a shootout. But we are allowed on a main board to 2nd guess the selections. And IMO I would have shot Scheifele over Marner. You may disagree, but put down the over defensive team allegiances.

It's the ****ing shootout man. Marner had the primary assist on the only goal Canada scored. If Marner doesn't shoot on the PP, the rebound isn't there for ROR to get and guess what? There is no shootout to begin with. They get shut out.

If you're going to criticize Marner, you can't forget about the other three guys who also didn't score. It doesn't matter who goes, they are all talented enough to score but could not score on Lundqvist. End of discussion.

If he gave up the puck and it led to an OT goal you might have a point at criticism but right now you just sound you're yelling at a cloud.

Criticizing a player because of a shootout is just ridiculous. It's a gimmick. You can't coach a shootout.

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
Meh, Sweden basically had their A team, Canada had their F team.

Would have been nice if McDavid/Doughty/Weber/Price/Seguin/Tavares showed up.

Lol sweden did not have their A team. Basically all our goal scorers were missing. Rakell, steen, forsberg, arvidsson. Plus we were missing our best player: Erik Karlsson. Then we have a lot of players like Backlund, Zibanejad and Johansson who would make the A team as well. This was Sweden's B team but Lundqvist and Bäckström made all the difference

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Who is Sweden missing? Karlsson/Forsberg?

Canada is missing basically their entire Olympic team.

arvidsson, sedins, forsberg, zetterberg, rakell, silfverberg, steen, karlsson, ekholm, hjalmarsson, H.lindholm and others.

we are missing basically our entire olympic team ASWELL.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

No they aren't.

Why are you whining like this? Sweden was dressing a guy name Nordstrom and Lundqvists brother who we all have never heard of, and they won. Pretty impressive. Their defence corps was excellent, and Nylander/Backstrom combo was nasty.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

It doesn't really matter in the end. Canada could have won the game and the team that came is the team that came. I don't really see the point in under cutting the team that won just congratulate them and move on. Just my opinion.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Meh, Sweden basically had their A team, Canada had their F team.

Sweden minus 10 of its top 12 scoring forwards and a Norris candidate = Sweden's A team. Got you.

Everyone knows this isn't a best on best tournament, still prestigious to win.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I almost agree, although I think Marner should have been a healthy scratch this whole tournament.
Are you insane? Marner blew me away his with hands and imagination. He has become my favourite player right now.

Well Canada no gold in junior WC and no gold tonight...Russia/ CCCP still owns you for the most golds at tournament ( 27 )

And of course the only goal you get tonigt is a filming another easy penalties given to Canada ....we have seen it before many times

All hail Sweden and King Henrik :)

I have to say watching Canada tonight i really really cant belive how Russia with so much better offensive than Sweden could not crush them last night..oh they got from the end of the second and in the 3 periode 4 penalties against them thats right and Belov with a 2 x 10 min...

If Canada wins gold this year, it will tie Russia for the most all-time golds at this tournament (27), if you include the Soviet Union era and Olympics that counted as World Championship results.
Boy your tears must have been really salty :cry: when Russia lost to Canada :biglaugh:. Russia lost because it wasn't as good a team as Canada's and not as good as Sweden either. Sweden > Canada > Russia.

Have fun reminiscing the far away past, that's not sad at all :sarcasm:.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think the loss of Tyson Barrie hurt more than people understand for Canada. Parayko filled in well against weaker competition (which I understand is similar competition to what Barrie had) but Parayko struggled mightily when games mattered. Wasn't very good yesterday and was absolutely awful today.

Hell of a hockey game. OT in particular was a lot of fun to watch.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Well Canada no gold in junior WC and no gold tonight...Russia/ CCCP still owns you for the most golds at tournament ( 27 )

If Canada wins gold this year, it will tie Russia for the most all-time golds at this tournament (27), if you include the Soviet Union era and Olympics that counted as World Championship results.

Not really a big deal when you examine the history behind the World Hockey championship.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Love...this...tournament!!

Congratulations to the Tre Kronor and their fans on their 10th world championship, enjoy it.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
arvidsson, forsberg, zetterberg, rakell, silfverberg, steen, karlsson, ekholm, hjalmarsson and others.

we are missing bascally our entire olympic team ASWELL.

Sweden's defence is pretty close in terms of quality with Canada. OEL, Karlsson, Hedman, Stralman, Brodin, Klingberg, Ekholm. Pretty impressive.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
arvidsson, forsberg, zetterberg, rakell, silfverberg, steen, karlsson, ekholm, hjalmarsson and others.

we are missing bascally our entire olympic team ASWELL.

Versus:

Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Weber, Letang, Giordano, Subban, Burns, Price, Getzlaf...

I mean, there's a pretty big gap between the players Sweden was missing and Canada was missing.

Make a team out of the players Canada is missing, versus the players Sweden is missing, and Canada probably wins by 10+.

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
Versus:

Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Weber, Subban, Burns, Price, Getzlaf...

I mean, there's a pretty big gap between the players Sweden was missing and Canada was missing.

Make a team out of the players Canada is missing, versus the players Sweden is missing, and Canada probably wins by 10+.

Make a World Cup out of it. That's the kind of tournaments North Americans like.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Versus:

Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Weber, Letang, Subban, Burns, Price, Getzlaf...

Too bad. You don't get points for what you could have done with the players you're missing. What counts is what you do with the players you have. Sweden won and they deserved to. End of story

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Versus:

Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Weber, Subban, Burns, Price, Getzlaf...

Canada has 500 000 + registered hockey players.

Sweden have 60 000 + registered hockey players.

of course canada have more depth than sweden, my only point was that this is not team sweden A.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
lol what.

this was our b-team.

canada had the c-team.

Good win for you guys. Just ignore the sour grape comments. I hate talking about A teams, B teams, C teams, D teams etc. The fact is, Sweden's best team at this tournament beat Canada's best. That's it.

No excuses. Fun, close game that came down to luck in a shootout. Both teams missing lots of players but it was still a very close fought and exciting game with a ton of talent on both sides. Who cares about labels? Only label that matters is Sweden and Canada and Sweden beat us 2-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad