Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryson03tml

Jul 26, 2022
Why give up assets again to fix problems? This team is not challenging for a cup next year, I would keep Murray and let him walk at the end of the season
This team is not a contender as currently structured so I would wait until it’s a championship level team before making these cap killing moves

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why give up assets again to fix problems? This team is not challenging for a cup next year, I would keep Murray and let him walk at the end of the season
This team is not a contender as currently structured so I would wait until it’s a championship level team before making these cap killing moves
He will probably play 10 and end up LTIR

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
13th overall to dump marleau 😂

Kings just paid a 2nd to dump basically 2 years of a 3m cap hit for Petersen.

Should be paying like a 3rd max to dump murray.
In theory one year of Murray should cost less than two years of Murray but if you can't find anybody willing to take Murray, it could cost you more.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Impossible. Dubas can do no wrong
6.25 is the cap hit and salary is 8 million

Remember when Dubas fans were like, well, Dubas cleaned up Marleau's contract ?
Poor Dubie, he was handcuffed

At least Marleau played for the Leafs in playoffs and was one of our better players
Murry got ousted by a rookie. he wasn't even our back up

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Impossible. Dubas can do no wrong
6.25 is the cap hit and salary is 8 million

Remember when Dubas fans were like, well, Dubas cleaned up Marleau's contract ?
Poor Dubie, he was handcuffed

At least Marleau played for the Leafs in playoffs and was one of our better players
Murry got ousted by a rookie. he wasn't even our back up
Sens are on the hook for 25% so we are trading 4.7m cap hit and $6m of the last year of the Murray deal.

And believe it or not, Shanny was ready to extend Dubas. SMH.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Year after year the offense dries up in the playoffs and somehow it's always the D's fault.

Florida's D was garbage and they made it to the finals on their goalie's back. That's not necessarily a great model to emulate, though! Just stop rewriting history, please.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With the expected arbitration signing of Samsonov and no other moves to date, it's safe to say that they will be running with Samsonov and Woll this year.

I'm good with that.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
With the expected arbitration signing of Samsonov and no other moves to date, it's safe to say that they will be running with Samsonov and Woll this year.

I'm good with that.
Probably no more than a 3.5MM hit for 1 yr and the team can reassess next year if Woll is ready to take over the net. Sammy will still be an RFA and can be traded

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Update on Murray

Maple Leafs Have Plan A and Plan B to Move On from Matt Murray​

Chris Johnston of NorthStar Bets says that trade discussions involving Murray are ongoing. That said, it seems unlikely with all of the goaltenders available that Murray would be more attractive of an option than someone like John Gibson or Connor Hellebuyck. Even at a highly-discounted rate (essentially free with a sweetener) there won’t be many, if any, takers for Murray’s contract.

Johnston notes the Maple Leafs’ backup plan if they fail to find a suitable deal is the second buyout window. He writes:

“They’re on the hunt for trade options, but they have a Plan B in their back pocket if something palatable fails to materialize. Teams that have a player go to salary arbitration gain a second buyout window following the hearing, and it appears likely that goaltender Ilya Samsonov will be taking Toronto to arb later this summer.”

When Could the Leafs Buy Out Murray?

According to PuckPedia, teams may receive an additional buyout window. They write,” If a team has a player go to arbitration and it is either settled or awarded, the team receives a new 48-hour buyout window beginning 3 days after the arbitration settlement or award.” It continues, “The only contracts that are eligible to be bought out in this window are for player with Cap Hits greater than $4M AND they were on the team’s roster at the last trade deadline.” Murray meets all the requirements necessary to be eligible within this window, as his $4.6 million cap hit and injury status during the trade deadline factor into the criteria.

Speculation has arisen regarding the potential placement of Murray on long-term injured reserve (LTIR), offering the Toronto Maple Leafs $4,687,500 of cap relief. However, it appears unlikely as Murray has been medically cleared. Not only that, but Murray’s particular contract allows the Leafs to take advantage of a reasonably manageable buyout scenario where the biggest savings come this season when the cap ceiling is the lowest.

With capologist Brandon Pridham on the case and working to find Treliving the best options, it sounds like a buyout is a direction the Leafs are leaning. As the offseason progresses, the Maple Leafs will continue exploring trade options but they remain prepared to benefit from the salary arbitration process with Samsonov. Ultimately, the team’s goal is to find the most effective and efficient solution while maintaining a competitive roster for the upcoming season.

It’s not ideal and it comes with a cost, but navigating the salary cap landscape is a delicate task for NHL teams, and for the Maple Leafs, who just added a few key pieces in free agency, the trouble might be worth the reward.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

For those interested, this is an episode that was on recently on the Rink Rat Report podcast featuring a guest who has a goalie science podcast. He talks about our 3 goalies, stat tracking data and NHL team scouting (or lack there of) and drafting of goaltenders

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think we can safely assume that Murray will be removed in some manner which leaves a platoon of Woll and Samsonov.

I get the need for a big time netminder, I've been saying that for years(since Belfour left) but the problem is obviously the cost in assets and fitting in the cap hit.
For that reason I am good with running back the current duo. I think Woll can be a starter in this league.

Anyone else on board or is a goalie one of the top priorities?
Woll has top 5 in league upside .. like i said when we drafted him he was our #1 prospect from day we drafted him .. there are very very very few tenders anywhere who have 1 on 1 game of Woll .. he is learning his angles day by day and his progressions on this front will determine if he will become a top 5 tender in world .. injuries slowed him down a bit early on .. but kid is very very very confident and he plays better da bigger da game .. if we had a tough nasty net front D he would already be there but we don't

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Phew man, the goaltending, it stinks.

Last year the Leafs went with two backups in net. This year they don't even have that. They went from shitty to shittier.

What a load of crap.

The most important position in the game. And the Leafs cheap out on it every time. I guess fans are expected to be bursting with joy over a Samsonov/Woll tandem in a contention year.

I wish I was so irrationally exhuberant.

They doubled down on stupid. Two guys with both performance and injury concerns. Along with Jones, the worst goalie in the league last year, for relief.

Rather than going with the "best goalie not in the NHL", Treliving went with the "worst goalie already in the NHL" instead.

Once again the goaltending doesn't pass the sniff test. A steaming hot pile. It reeks worse than PePe's ass.

Smelly, smelly, smelly.

Pee-yew.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Phew man, the goaltending, it stinks.

Last year the Leafs went with two backups in net. This year they don't even have that. They went from shitty to shittier.

What a load of crap.

The most important position in the game. And the Leafs cheap out on it every time. I guess fans are expected to be bursting with joy over a Samsonov/Woll tandem in a contention year.

I wish I was so irrationally exhuberant.

They doubled down on stupid. Two guys with both performance and injury concerns. Along with Jones, the worst goalie in the league last year, for relief.

Rather than going with the "best goalie not in the NHL", Treliving went with the "worst goalie already in the NHL" instead.

Once again the goaltending doesn't pass the sniff test. A steaming hot pile. It reeks worse than PePe's ass.

Smelly, smelly, smelly.

Pee-yew.
And who would you have pursued to be that upgrade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad