Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Samsonov had a bunch of brutal starts last year and was still .919% at years end. Tonight was just one of those games. Maybe he can be improved upon for an acceptable cost but its not a priority right now, especially when Woll might be that guy.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Coaches/management need to stop screwing around and deluding themselves. Woll is our best goalie . Full stop. ainec
For about a 5 game stretch at one point last year when Samsonov was openly playing through an injury, yes he was.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's one game

Samsonov was shaky but the entire team looked unfocused defensively

Woll was always going to get plenty of starts because those two are a bit of a tandem so let's give both guys a chance to bed in and worry if we need to a few months into the season rather than games

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
How many games has he played this season with the full team in front of him? Thank the coach for the players being rusty...he'd rather play AHLers than regulars in preseason. We should have dressed the full lineup for the last 4 preseason games.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Pulling for Sammy but I guessed last year that by the end of this year, it will be Wolls net and I'm sticking with it.

Reactions: BigBlu

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Meh, not really a great game to evaluate Sammy. He certainly wasn’t a star but it was a weird game. He would go stretches without any action and then get hit with either a brutal defensive breakdown or a random bounce/tip.

In the long run your goalie needs to cover some of those defensive breakdowns and get some of those bounces but none of the goals last night were overly concerning.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
How many games has he played this season with the full team in front of him? Thank the coach for the players being rusty...he'd rather play AHLers than regulars in preseason. We should have dressed the full lineup for the last 4 preseason games.
At least we didn’t pull everyone in 2 weeks early, tell everyone how ready we’d be to start the season, stress how good our D game was going to be, and then give up 8 :laugh:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Our team gave up 22 shots. That’s damn impressive. The goalies job is to battle and make saves. Don’t give a shit if that a breakaway or a screen. Make a f***ing save.

Reactions: rumman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You don't lose the starting job because of 1 game, no matter how ugly that game was especially when you win it, and as ugly as that game was he did win it.

I don't think he lost the starter job at all, just early in the season, get both their feet wet and go from there.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm thinking against Chicago in Game #3 or when opposing either of the Florida based teams following that for Woll's first start of this new season.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs have a chance with clean health to properly expose a young goalie to the rigours of the NHL.

Not throw him to the wolves, not to annoit him as a starter.
Play a limited number of games, and allow Woll to slowly be introduced as a successful backup goalie.

DO NOT GIVE HIM the Carter Hart treatment.

Reactions: PeE eL DuBoiS

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sam is the man until he proves he isn't up for it.

And given this team's habit of rough to mediocre starts to the season - and that was a very rough game last night all around - I'd give him the benefit of the doubt until at least this team finds its groove.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
holy shit guys...

goal 1 - Brodie blows a tire and a breakaway ensues
goal 2- three on one defensive breakdown
goal 3 - complete fluke tip in
goal 4- completely screened.
goal 5- Lily gifts a great scoring chance.

And Sammy is garbage..... wtf.

He had a garbage game, 5 goals on 24 shots, 792 save% but that doesn't make him garbage.

It's 1 game, granted a very VERY bad game but a game he still won.

He does owe them though because they did bail him out.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the only goalie who has won a playoff series for the franchise in almost two decades. Besides, it could be worse, he could be Jack Campbell or Stuart Skinner.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He had a garbage game, 5 goals on 24 shots, 792 save% but that doesn't make him garbage.

It's 1 game, granted a very VERY bad game but a game he still won.

He does owe them though because they did bail him out.
His team let him down... like didn't you just read how the goals were scored? Jeez.

holy shit guys...

goal 1 - Brodie blows a tire and a breakaway ensues
goal 2- three on one defensive breakdown
goal 3 - complete fluke tip in
goal 4- completely screened.
goal 5- Lily gifts a great scoring chance.

And Sammy is garbage..... wtf.
I just posted the same... I believe that Goal 4 was partially tipped as well... anyway, the team really put him in a bad spot multiple times... of course you'd like the goaltending to be better, but it's one game, we were a tire fire in front of him, and it's early in the season. In the end... we won, after a brutal defensive effort all around.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
His team let him down... like didn't you just read how the goals were scored? Jeez.

I would like him to have at least goal 3, arguably goal 4 definitely goal 3.

A 792 save% is never going to be good enough regardless of how the goals were scored.

They stole him one last night and that's OK, that will happen over 82 games.

But now he owes them one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad