Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would like him to have at least goal 3, arguably goal 4 definitely goal 3.

A 792 save% is never going to be good enough regardless of how the goals were scored.

They stole him one last night and that's OK, that will happen over 82 games.

But now he owes them one.
He doesn't owe them a damned thing. The skaters were collectively garbage last night, and were just as responsible. It's amazing you can watch a game and come to such a conclusion. Maybe go back and watch the highlights again. Goal three was screened and tipped. He never saw it. Goal four, was screened and tipped, he never saw it. You blame him for goals he didn't see, that were tipped??? Really... Like Really? I mean, to me, it was the last goal that he had the best chance on... but the chance was still due to the skaters errors. They gave away the game last night, with terrible defensive play, and then had the grit to come back, and for this team, that's a very positive thing. But to look blindly at a 0.792 and conclude it's the goalie, without reviewing the context as to how it happen, is peak reactionary behaviour again.

Here is the recap.. go look at the goals again.

If you come away with the conclusion that we gave up five goals, because the it was the goalie, after scrutinizing how they happened.... well, it will be very telling, that much is for certain.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He doesn't owe them a damned thing. The skaters were collectively garbage last night, and were just as responsible. It's amazing you can watch a game and come to such a conclusion. Maybe go back and watch the highlights again. Goal three was screened and tipped. He never saw it. Goal four, was screened and tipped, he never saw it. You blame him for goals he didn't see, that were tipped??? Really... Like Really? I mean, to me, it was the last goal that he had the best chance on... but the chance was still due to the skaters errors. They gave away the game last night, with terrible defensive play, and then had the grit to come back, and for this team, that's a very positive thing. But to look blindly at a 0.792 and conclude it's the goalie, without reviewing the context as to how it happen, is peak reactionary behaviour again.

Here is the recap.. go look at the goals again.

If you come away with the conclusion that we gave up five goals, because the it was the goalie, after scrutinizing how they happened.... well, it will be very telling, that much is for certain.

He wasn't even paying attention on goal 3.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ya, for sure... he was having a nap. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's your conclusion? I mean seriously... LOL

He wasn't paying attention on goal 3.

I will NEVER blame the defense when they get a 792 save% that's NEVER going to happen.

sometimes you need the save you shouldn't get.

They didn't get that but still won.

He owes them a game

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I will NEVER blame the defense when they get a 792 save% that's NEVER going to happen.

He owes them a game
Remember last year, when you repeatedly created threads about how desperately the Leafs needed to trade for a goalie? Good times.

Suffice to say, your analysis of the whole goaltending position is so far off, on a repeated basis, that it isn't worth pursuing this conversation further.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
History shows us that 90% of the time (past 20 yrs). Drafted goalies win the cup with the team they are drafted to. That means Woll better be damn good and start playing for us or else we scuttle 90% of the probability we have to win.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
You don't lose the starting job because of 1 game, no matter how ugly that game was especially when you win it, and as ugly as that game was he did win it.
I don't think Samsonov is the clear cut, runaway starting goalie.

Or let's put it this way: I don't think the team sees Joseph Woll as a backup goalie.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021

He owes them a game
Have you ever played hockey and made a mistake that ended up in the back of your net? I guaranteeeee you that Brodie and Liljegren weren't looking at Samsonov like wtf bro you should've had that. They were 100% thinking they dropped the ball and nothing else.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Teams like Vegas and Carolina have a great system and defence. That's how you win.

We have comparable goaltenders with them in Sammy and Woll.

This system and defence and forwards like Domi need to work on their awareness.

I think we know what type of goalies we have, and the skaters shouldn't escape responsibility behind supposed goaltending issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunItBackAgain

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
holy shit guys...

goal 1 - Brodie blows a tire and a breakaway ensues
goal 2- three on one defensive breakdown
goal 3 - complete fluke tip in
goal 4- completely screened.
goal 5- Lily gifts a great scoring chance.

And Sammy is garbage..... wtf.
The D didn’t have a good game, that’s for sure……..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Have they said how they are going to run the Goalies? Alternate or Samsonov's net unless it's a back to back?

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
You don't need a worldbeater in today's NHL, and I'm willing to cut everyone last night some slack, including the goaltender. First game of the regular season, they needed a game to loosen up and by the end of regulation I thought they looked much looser.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

He owes them a game
The puck deflected twice and floated over his head, not sure what you want him to do there

I will say though if Woll has a good showing Saturday if he gets in then you ride him and see if the short sample size from the last year is the real deal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The puck deflected twice and floated over his head, not sure what you want him to do there

I will say though if Woll has a good showing Saturday if he gets in then you ride him and see if the short sample size from the last year is the real deal

I'm not sure Woll gets in on Saturday it seems to early I think Samsonov plays Saturday and I think he should.

I don't think you can lose the starting job after one bad game especially if you win it, and as ugly as that game was he did win it.

I'd hold off until game 4, which I think is Florida

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah I’d give Samsonov Saturday, a chance for him to have a good game and get the vibes going.

Then id split the games in Florida. Important to get Woll in and going too

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I'm not sure Woll gets in on Saturday it seems to early I think Samsonov plays Saturday and I think he should.

I don't think you can lose the starting job after one bad game especially if you win it, and as ugly as that game was he did win it.

I'd hold off until game 4, which I think is Florida
My only reasoning to get Woll in would be to get him going early. His work load needs to get bigger if we have any real plans for him in the future. I’d love if we could alternate between the 2 and balance out the workload

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
holy shit guys...

goal 1 - Brodie blows a tire and a breakaway ensues
goal 2- three on one defensive breakdown
goal 3 - complete fluke tip in
goal 4- completely screened.
goal 5- Lily gifts a great scoring chance.

And Sammy is garbage..... wtf.
OMG Sammy did what he could .. was he outstanding no .. did he make all the normal saves he should have made yes .. the 2 breakaways were both top shelf within 2 inches of where mom keeps da peanut butter on dekes maybe Vasi saves one of those maybe .. the 3 on 1 da D Kilnberg does NOTHING i mean NOTHING does not take shooter does not take passing lane away and does not take away the scorer it could not have been played worse as a D man .. goals 3 and 4 were flukes but no one in league making either save unless it hits you by accident .. if you were there live at game at Scotia like I was then you know we had 3 absolutely useless defensive D man in that game 2 of which made house league plays equivalent of shooting puck into ur own net .. to read this utter garbage on here makes me LOL .. clearly too many on here who never stepped ice and played a competitive game of hockey

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He had a garbage game, 5 goals on 24 shots, 792 save% but that doesn't make him garbage.

It's 1 game, granted a very VERY bad game but a game he still won.

He does owe them though because they did bail him out.
AGREED, he did not look confident.
And the added concern is he was garbage in preseason too. How many more garbage games will the team need to navigate before he finds his way?

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Samsonov was rubbish last night. Fortunately he seems to mentally never get too rattled by the bad performances. He acknowledges them and moves on

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think Sammy should start Saturday with Woll on Monday vs Chicago I think you start the year on a 2 and 1 schedule. Sammy for 2 games then give Woll one. and then by mid November re-evaluate unless one of them is playing terribly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad