Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Phew man, the goaltending, it stinks.

Last year the Leafs went with two backups in net. This year they don't even have that. They went from shitty to shittier.

What a load of crap.

The most important position in the game. And the Leafs cheap out on it every time. I guess fans are expected to be bursting with joy over a Samsonov/Woll tandem in a contention year.

I wish I was so irrationally exhuberant.

They doubled down on stupid. Two guys with both performance and injury concerns. Along with Jones, the worst goalie in the league last year, for relief.

Rather than going with the "best goalie not in the NHL", Treliving went with the "worst goalie already in the NHL" instead.

Once again the goaltending doesn't pass the sniff test. A steaming hot pile. It reeks worse than PePe's ass.

Smelly, smelly, smelly.

Pee-yew.

So quotable. This one is going to be funny.

Woll was a .933 with the Leafs last year, and 0.927 with the Marlies.... Ok... now for anyone paying actual attention, the 0.927 with the Marlies is more impressive than the 0.933 with the Leafs. Marlies were a tire fire defensively last year. While Woll was a 0.927 with the Marlies, the rest of the goalies averaged 0.894 SV%. He had a 24-5-1 record overall last year.

Samsonov was tied for the 7th best SV% in the NHL last year, at 0.919... a whole .001 behind Hellebuyck... a more expensive and older goalie.

Samsonov was also tied for second highest number of points by a goalie last year... I mean, what more could you ask for, a goalie who's solid, and puts up some offensive numbers too!!!

But seriously, if you think this doesn't pass the sniff test, you aren't paying attention, or maybe just trolling?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Woll was a .933 with the Leafs last year, and 0.927 with the Marlies.... Ok... now for anyone paying actual attention, the 0.927 with the Marlies is more impressive than the 0.933 with the Leafs. Marlies were a tire fire defensively last year. While Woll was a 0.927 with the Marlies, the rest of the goalies averaged 0.894 SV%. He had a 24-5-1 record overall last year.

Samsonov was tied for the 7th best SV% in the NHL last year, at 0.919... a whole .001 behind Hellebuyck... a more expensive and older goalie.

Samsonov was also tied for second highest number of points by a goalie last year... I mean, what more could you ask for, a goalie who's solid, and puts up some offensive numbers too!!!

But seriously, if you think this doesn't pass the sniff test, you aren't paying attention, or maybe just trolling?
Yeah, I have no idea how someone could say our goaltending is worse going into this year than it was last year :laugh:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

I believe this is the cheapest tandem of any contending team.

Neither one of these guys is proven. Small sample sizes and injury concerns for both. Not to mention their playoffs pedigree is still basically nil.

Woll is interesting.

Take a look at this chart and see where he's at. If he plays like that the whole year they win the cup. That's if he stays healthy.

Who knows really?

Goalies are voodoo and all that jazz.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yeah, I have no idea how someone could say our goaltending is worse going into this year than it was last year :laugh:

Well, for one thing, Samsonov is gonna have to play a lot more road games than last year.

And once either of them gets hurt, Jones will be backup. At least with Jones he has enough games you know what you're getting. It stinks.

But there's no guessing involved.

Nobody, not even the Leafs themselves, have a clue what's ahead with Samsonov and Woll in net.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I believe this is the cheapest tandem of any contending team.

Goalies are voodoo and all that jazz.

Goalies are indeed voodoo. Jacob Markstrom is considered by many to be an elite goalie. He finished 2nd in Vezina voting two years ago. Last year he had a 0.892 SV%, and was the biggest reason Calgary bombed out. He was paid $8 mil last year for this. Vegas won the cup with a guy at a $2.175 mil cap hit. Hill had played 74 NHL games before last year.

Nice chart, Samsonov is near the top too.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Goalies are indeed voodoo. Jacob Markstrom is considered by many to be an elite goalie. He finished 2nd in Vezina voting two years ago. Last year he had a 0.892 SV%, and was the biggest reason Calgary bombed out. He was paid $8 mil last year for this. Vegas won the cup with a guy at a $2.175 mil cap hit. Hill had played 74 NHL games before last year.

Nice chart, Samsonov is near the top too.

I can't wait for this season to start.

There's soooo many things to keep an eye on. Keefe, Nylander, Shanahan. The playoffs.

Not to mention the actual games themselves and how well the players do as individuals.

Will they win any major awards? Will Matthews wrist hold up? Who do we bring in at the deadline?

Good Lord.

I'm gonna have to take magnesium for my beating heart.

Go Leafs Go

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Well, for one thing, Samsonov is gonna have to play a lot more road games than last year.

And once either of them gets hurt, Jones will be backup. At least with Jones he has enough games you know what you're getting. It stinks.

But there's no guessing involved.

Nobody, not even the Leafs themselves, have a clue what's ahead with Samsonov and Woll in net.
Can you name a team that has a better third option than Jones? I know there are some, but every team has a big drop from #2 to #3 and those that don't either face waiver issues (let's see how that goes) their #2 is not very strong.

Also, are you COMPLAINING that our goalies don't get paid more or are you suggesting that because they are not paid more that they must be weak? No chance that we have just been shrewd? Efficient with cap? Woll making less than $800K is a big factor in this no? Do you consider our core four forwards to be strong simply because they get paid so much?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ok so an expiring goalie who wants to play in the US and wants like 9M going into his 30s.

Meh, I don't worry about that with goalies, 30 for a goalie isn't the same as 30 for a forward or a D.

Goalies play at a higher level for longer.

Case in point Brodeur, Belfour, Cujo. Hasek, Roy, Lou, MAF seems to only be falling off now.

30 for a goalie isn't the same

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Meh, I don't worry about that with goalies, 30 for a goalie isn't the same as 30 for a forward or a D.

Case in point Brodeur, Belfour, Cujo. Hasek, Roy, Lou, MAF seems to only be falling off now.

You named several guys that played in a much different era. The game is way faster now. You don't see starting goalies playing 65 games anymore for a reason. Even Fleury is an outlier.

Rask just retired at the age of 35 due to injuries. Price is all but retired now at the age of 36 and hasn't been able to play a starters workload in 3 years due to injuries. Andersen has huge troubles staying healthy. Vasi is showing signs of decline already at 29. Guys like Bobrovsky, Gibson have big ticket contracts and have declined hard for several seasons.

It is not a good idea to waste assets on goalies in general. Their prime usually only lasts about 5 yrs and you would be gambling on wasting assets on a guy in his 30s and like I said, he wants like 9M and doesn't even want to be in Canada. Remember how it went after Florida gave Bobrovsky that big contract? Other than 2.5 stellar playoff rounds this year, he's been utter garbage since he signed that contract and they likely won't ever be able to move him.

Reactions: Peasy

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think anyone would be opposed to bringing in a H.O.F goalie like those.
Who are you thinking of?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tending will be fine this year .. scoring as always will be fine .. but same old same old problems on D .. this is close to an AHL shutdown D and you won't see issues until later in season as league is all about scoring til XMAS .. without major fixes that D won't win anything .. we can't have 1 guy Rielly as a 1 man gang and he has serious issues in his own end

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tending will be fine this year .. scoring as always will be fine .. but same old same old problems on D .. this is close to an AHL shutdown D and you won't see issues until later in season as league is all about scoring til XMAS .. without major fixes that D won't win anything .. we can't have 1 guy Rielly as a 1 man gang and he has serious issues in his own end
Yeah I can't agree with this at all. Our D has been more than fine, main reason we keep losing in the playoffs is because our highly touted offence keeps coming up short in critical games. Also, Rielly was great in the last playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah I can't agree with this at all. Our D has been more than fine, main reason we keep losing in the playoffs is because our highly touted offence keeps coming up short in critical games. Also, Rielly was great in the last playoffs.
Our D has sucked since 1967 except for a couple seasons in 92/93 .. it is very very well known across da hockey world that our Leafs are da worst team in league on drafting and developing D

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Our D has sucked since 1967 except for a couple seasons in 92/93 .. it is very very well known across da hockey world that our Leafs are da worst team in league on drafting and developing D
Last season we were 9th in goals scored per game and 7th in goals against per game despite being only 10th in SV%.

You narrative that scoring is good, goaltending is good but defence sucks isn't supported by da facts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Last season we were 9th in goals scored per game and 7th in goals against per game despite being only 10th in SV%.

You narrative that scoring is good, goaltending is good but defence sucks isn't supported by da facts.
Stats in hockey have a pretty limited value .. you have to assess core skills of each player on how they perform when it counts in playoffs .. no one really gives a rats *ss about regular season with exception that they make playoffs .. da right players do what it takes to make playoffs but not much more so they can be physically ready for game 1 series 1 .. especially ones who already have good contracts

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Stats in hockey have a pretty limited value .. you have to assess core skills of each player on how they perform when it counts in playoffs .. no one really gives a rats *ss about regular season with exception that they make playoffs .. da right players do what it takes to make playoffs but not much more so they can be physically ready for game 1 series 1 .. especially ones who already have good contracts
They paint an accurate picture in this case - our team D has been more than fine for several years now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sad to say but you young pups really have never seen great D in Leafland .. it is understandable
Oh spare me the condescending arrogance buddy, it's not a good look. I remember Baun, Horton, Salming among others but that has nothing to do with the team today.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
1694627053116.png

new bucket for sammy

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sad to say but you young pups really have never seen great D in Leafland .. it is understandable

There have been a lot of great D in Leafland, over the years that I've watched. Even Muzzin was a very good D man, decent size and physical. Kaberle, McCabe, Turnbull, Salming... Rielly too.

But, what we haven't had, is that guy everyone thinks of, that big, mobile, physical specimen, who can lay out bodies, and put up points too.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I guess i am now just starting to think about the goal tending which is arguably the single most important player on the ice.

Despite what the vocal critics will say, i think the goal tending is in a good spot especially with a guy like Joseph Woll. I can see him being the number one sooner rather than later. The question i have is what role does Keefe see him playing especially early on in the season? My guess is Samsonov is the starter, but i would hope Woll gets his share of the games early on.

The question is who will be the starter come playoff time?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not fully sold on our goaltending, and I don't think Treliving is either hence the 1 year deal for Samsonov.

But I am more confident in it this year than last year.

Samsonov
Woll
Jones

Is a good quality trio.

Reactions: Buds17

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I guess i am now just starting to think about the goal tending which is arguably the single most important player on the ice.

Despite what the vocal critics will say, i think the goal tending is in a good spot especially with a guy like Joseph Woll. I can see him being the number one sooner rather than later. The question i have is what role does Keefe see him playing especially early on in the season? My guess is Samsonov is the starter, but i would hope Woll gets his share of the games early on.

I think this all comes down to Woll. If he goes out there and plays really well, forcing Keefe's hand, the team will have no choice but to give him more starts. It's not like Samsonov is the goalie of the future, nor are they tied to him as he's on a 1-year deal. Woll needs to seize the opportunities given to him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not fully sold on our goaltending, and I don't think Treliving is either hence the 1 year deal for Samsonov.

But I am more confident in it this year than last year.

Samsonov
Woll
Jones

Is a good quality trio.
I'm not fully sold either as IMO Sammy and Woll are both big question marks. I have high hopes for both of them, but they're question marks all the same. But the question marks going into last season were bigger so I feel better going in than did last year as well.

Woll definitely needs to play IMO. We need to know if he's the goalie of the future, or a pumpkin.

Reactions: saltming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad