Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Mike McKenna thinks Woll can take over the #1G by the end of the season. Compares him to Ottinger. He might be bullish on Woll but if Woll can get close to as good as McKenna thinks, Hunter will have left us a gem.
Did he say this on a podcast? I like to listen to his insight

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Mike McKenna thinks Woll can take over the #1G by the end of the season. Compares him to Ottinger. He might be bullish on Woll but if Woll can get close to as good as McKenna thinks, Hunter will have left us a gem.
Did he say this on a podcast? I like to listen to his insight
McKenna on Woll’s enormous potential, Panthers hanging Bobrovsky out to dry and more - TSN.ca

SiriusXM Host Mike McKenna joins Leafs Lunch to discuss the performances of Sergei Bobrovsky and Adin Hill respectively during the Stanley Cup Final. McKenna shares his thoughts on why the Panthers have hung Bobrovsky out to dry in the Cup Final, why Joseph Woll has great potential ahead of him and more.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Reactions: hockeywiz542

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Dubas did a "thorough analysis" of the goaltending department last summer.

Decided it was goaltending's fault they kept losing in the playoffs. Fired the long time goalie coach and gutted the entire back end. Doubled down on stupid and brought in Murray to replace Mrazek and this is the results.

Obviously nobody could possibly have predicted Murray getting injured.

Not after only one game anyway.

Murray is as durable as single ply wipe. It was only a matter of when, not if, he would get hurt. He was able to put that matter to rest just one game into the season

He lasted 20 minutes longer than Mrazek in that regard.

Now they are eyeing a Samsonov/Woll tandem. They're gonna make Woll an NHL goaltender whether he wants to, likes it, or is even ready. Although, truth be told, if you're over six feet tall and can do the splits with goalie pads on, you're probably capable of being an NHL goalie.

Maybe not a good one.

But that's never mattered to this management group. They just sign whatever injured and sucky player off the scrapheap they can find. Doesn't matter if they are good, hurt, or have any experience.

Goalies are voodoo and all that jazz.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
I think we may be better off using the assets for a defense upgrade. I think going by the regular season, Samsonov was good enough. Woll is just young but if he doesnt work out, finding a backup goalie mid season is probabaly easier than finding a top 4 defenseman.

Looking at potential goalie upgrades, beside assets to aquire, they will take a lot of cap space which we dont really have. I dont see how we can allocate $5-6 million to a starting goalie right now knowing the 3 stooges are going to go for the jugular come contract time.

horner

May 22, 2007
We have bigger needs than trading for a goaltender.

Sammy 4 mil * 3 yrs.
Woll
We need to see if we have a future #1 in woll give him 35 games

Wanted to improve our defence
Trade
Brodie last yr wasn't a great year for him
Sign
Schenn 2 mil × 3 yrs
Orlov 6 mil
Trade or buyout
Murray
LTIR
MUZZIN

We have
Morgan Schenn
Lilly Orlov
Timmons McCabe
Gio

McCabe didn't have a great playoff -7 would you trade him and sign Soucy 3 mil

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Really depends on what the cost for Hart would be.

We really don’t have any draft capital to use so the next option would be prospects and young NHL ready players. I can see Philly having more interest in young NHL players.

Woll and Robertson are two names that come to mind that Philly would probably have interest in.

It would be tough to give up on Woll but if you can add a young goalie like Hart, you do it IMO.

Then you focus on moving Samsonov to recoup some assets and get a backup goaltender.

If a new GM who likes building from the net out wants to come in and make his mark on the team, what better way than to go out and acquire a 24 year old starting NHL goaltender with unlimited potential.

This is also no knock on either Samsonov or Woll. I’d be perfectly fine with heading into next season with those two but if you can acquire someone like Hart, IMO you go and do it.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really depends on what the cost for Hart would be.

We really don’t have any draft capital to use so the next option would be prospects and young NHL ready players. I can see Philly having more interest in young NHL players.

Woll and Robertson are two names that come to mind that Philly would probably have interest in.

It would be tough to give up on Woll but if you can add a young goalie like Hart, you do it IMO.

Then you focus on moving Samsonov to recoup some assets and get a backup goaltender.

If a new GM who likes building from the net out wants to come in and make his mark on the team, what better way than to go out and acquire a 24 year old starting NHL goaltender with unlimited potential.

This is also no knock on either Samsonov or Woll. I’d be perfectly fine with heading into next season with those two but if you can acquire someone like Hart, IMO you go and do it.
You’d move both goalies if you brought in Hart?
That seems like a very risky proposition.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Acquiring Carter Hart would represent an enormous upgrade for the Maple Leafs and would give them the best goaltender they've had in ages.

People looking at his stats and pretending that he is somehow comparable to Samsonov are out to lunch.

If the Leafs pull off a trade for Hart, they are improving their team in a big way.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If you are a Leafs' fan, and you know how the Leafs role, you'd invest all your goalie faith in a player from the 2018 WJC team?

Unless he was out of the country at the time ...
Bettman has already mention the investigation is completed on the NHL’s end. Do you really think if one of the players in the NHL was guilty they’d still be playing with no consequences laid out to them?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You’d move both goalies if you brought in Hart?
That seems like a very risky proposition.
Hart is a pretty big upgrade on our current goaltenders so yes I definitely would. You’d get a decent package of picks (helps recover some draft capital) for Samsonov as well. Then you can look at someone like Raanta in free agency to be your backup.

Not sure about you but I’d feel a lot more confident going into next season with a tandem of Hart - Raanta than Samsonov - Woll.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bettman has already mention the investigation is completed on the NHL’s end. Do you really think if one of the players in the NHL was guilty they’d still be playing with no consequences laid out to them?
Could be legal issues to consider before the NHL does something, they aren't playing now anyway.

I'm sure though if a deal were to be made the Leafs could find out before hand if the NHL is planning any type of punishment.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Acquiring Carter Hart would represent an enormous upgrade for the Maple Leafs and would give them the best goaltender they've had in ages.

People looking at his stats and pretending that he is somehow comparable to Samsonov are out to lunch.

If the Leafs pull off a trade for Hart, they are improving their team in a big way.
Andersen played for the Leafs in 20-21. Hart is an okay goalie, but for now he's more Steve Mason than Hellebuyck.

Going from one bounceback project to the next is hardly a substantial upgrade. And for the love of god, spare us from the "bad defense" argument, Andersen gave us three years of .918 behind Zaitsev and Gardiner, and Hellebuyck put up .920 in Winnipeg this year. Bad defense arguments is what the Copium for Murray was.

If we want a serious upgrade in net that's not based on shoestrings and hope, it means getting an established star, not the next guy in line to try and rehab their reputation. That's literally what we've done with Campbell, Murray, Samsonov, and now supposedly Hart. Hart had the biggest hype train when he was a prospect, but struggling goalies are still struggling goalies, no matter what lipstick you put on them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No harm giving Woll the job and seeing if he can develop into 1A. If it cost a significant resource to get rid of Murray, I’d just keep him, LTIR him when he gets hurt, and let his contract expire.
They can always sign a cheap backup, Kallgren, for example.
Samsonov - Woll is a fine platoon for me.
We’ve already seen Samsonov in the regular season, he can do the job allowing Woll time to ease into different situations.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Samsonov - Woll is a fine platoon for me.
We’ve already seen Samsonov in the regular season, he can do the job allowing Woll time to ease into different situations.
McKenna said he'd take Sammy over Aiden Hill because Sammy is an RFA and Woll will take over the job by the end of the season. Sounds bullish on Woll. I'd roll with Sammy at 3x3 and Woll, but I would beef up the D.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
McKenna said he'd take Sammy over Aiden Hill because Sammy is an RFA and Woll will take over the job by the end of the season. Sounds bullish on Woll. I'd roll with Sammy at 3x3 and Woll, but I would beef up the D.
I think dumpster diving has become the norm around here because that’s all Dubas did for the last five years, how about obtaining a real goalie, and running one of the many scrubs mentioned as a backup? Trade one of the core for a goalie and another piece/pieces. Trade another for a quality D man. That would be a good start to fixing this team imo…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad