Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I disagree. While I see the appeal of chasing after a Hellebuyck level goalie, the Leafs have been done in in recent playoffs because they fail to score enough. I'd rather use the assets and cap space an established upper echelon goalie would require on a defenseman or forward.

I also have faith in either one of Samsonov or Woll turning out into the starter we need going forward. Both guys are relatively young for goalies and have shown high-level play in their short careers. They're also cheap and cost-controlled for the next couple years so that's a big bonus.

My last reason for being against big-game hunting a goalie is just how volatile and unpredictable the position is nowadays. The most of the best goalies statistically this season were out in round 1, if not round 2. Only Oettinger made it past round 2 among top ten goalies who played at least 20 games. The two goalies dueling in the Finals now is Bobrovsky who was mediocre before this run, and an unknown Hill, who hasn't started more than 25 games in a season in his career.

Having an elite goalie would help, but it's no guarantee the Leafs would go far with him, just look at the Rangers these playoffs. The cost-benefit plus the potential I see in Sammy and Woll makes me against prioritizing a goalie.
Sounds like you agree? :huh:

If not, well I agree with you. :thumbu:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hart is a career .906 goaltender.
His first 2 seasons he was .917 and .914
Is he trending badly, injured, or just not a true #1?

Lots of questions and maybe similar not better than Samsonov who is a career .907 coming off a .919

Reactions: CuuuJooo

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don’t think they resign Samsonov. I think they move in a different direction.
Unless the contract ask is stupid I can't see them letting him walk. The goaltending is for sure a gamble but thanks to Murray and the general cap issues I don't see how they could invest in a more proven option. A possible add at D will drink up whatever money and resources they can spare.

Samy is far from proven but it is certainly possible that he is as good as he looked in the regular season, and had a bad playoff. The Woll sample is dinky but it is also possible that in a full season he will be close to what he looked like in 22-23. I don't see the club willingly throwing this potential away. With a much better cap situation and less of a hole in the D they could be daring but if they can find an extra few million I think spending it on an Ekholm type add is the likelier play..

Reactions: banks and ACC1224

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Another angle you have to look at with Hellebuyck is that he's played on a worse defensive team than Toronto the past few seasons so in theory, his play could even be more elevated seeing he wont be facing as many chances against and the quality of actual chance will be worse in Toronto vs Winnipeg.

Last 3 seasons 220 games played 5v5

High danger chances against
Screenshot (891).png

xGA

Screenshot (890).png

Pretty crazy to see just how much better defensively we've been than Winnipeg. I understand not wanting to pay top assets or top dollar for a goalie and it can certainly work out with a Samsonov/Woll tandem, but I think this is a move you have to strongly think about because top flight goalies are so rarely available and he could be even better on our team with improved team in front of him.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Unless the contract ask is stupid I can't see them letting him walk. The goaltending is for sure a gamble but thanks to Murray and the general cap issues I don't see how they could invest in a more proven option. A possible add at D will drink up whatever money and resources they can spare.

Samy is far from proven but it is certainly possible that he is as good as he looked in the regular season, and had a bad playoff. The Woll sample is dinky but it is also possible that in a full season he will be close to what he looked like in 22-23. I don't see the club willingly throwing this potential away. With a much better cap situation and less of a hole in the D they could be daring but if they can find an extra few million I think spending it on an Ekholm type add is the likelier play..

Sammy looks like he has made some big strides during the season. But he needs to calm tf down, too emotional. I would bring him back on a 2 year deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Another angle you have to look at with Hellebuyck is that he's played on a worse defensive team than Toronto the past few seasons so in theory, his play could even be more elevated seeing he wont be facing as many chances against and the quality of actual chance will be worse in Toronto vs Winnipeg.

Last 3 seasons 220 games played 5v5

High danger chances against
View attachment 715337

xGA

View attachment 715338

Pretty crazy to see just how much better defensively we've been than Winnipeg. I understand not wanting to pay top assets or top dollar for a goalie and it can certainly work out with a Samsonov/Woll tandem, but I think this is a move you have to strongly think about because top flight goalies are so rarely available and he could be even better on our team with improved team in front of him.

You raise a really interesting question. He's just at that worst age before getting a big contract.

Still potentially worth it though

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This makes most sense .. Sammy is good enough for regular season .. and he won us a playoff round against a great team .. Woll could use a year as a backup .. given CAP hell this is likely .. hopefully Murray can be unloaded without giving up 1st rounders .. not into losing anymore 1st rounders when we don't even have a Cup team yet
Trade Murray to Pittsburgh for futures. Does Dubas say no?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Samsonov and Woll. Easily IMO

We should be able to get Samsonov on a nice medium-term deal. Woll is cheap.

0 interest in paying the assets Winnipeg will ask for AND give a goalie that will be 31 when the contract starts a long-term, high money deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad