Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
sounds like I've been missing out in the sandy department.............
1686085247288.png

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
so... Hart looks to be on the move, maybe today also

From a Leafs perspective, Hart was a majorly hyped goalie prospect... But so was Samsanov. Frankly a year or two after being drafted, they would have been pretty comparable top goalie prospects.

At the NHL level, Hart is a question mark. He hasn't topped a 0.910 save % in any of the past 3 seasons, and his goals saved above expected stats aren't crazy good either, yet his trade value is going to reflect at least partially what his reputation was ~4-5 years ago.

I think it's pretty debatable whether he's even better than Samsanov. I could see the argument for it, but it's certainly not a slam dunk that he's better. So I'd rather just keep Samsanov in that case, instead of trading a bunch of assets for Hart. I'd consider a trade for a slam dunk upgrade like Saros or Hellebuyck, but not for Hart.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Call me crazy but I don't think the Leafs bring back Samsonov next season.

Leaf won't need him with Carter Hart on his way from Philly in trade.

Sammy might even be on that southbound train to the city of brotherly love as an RFA in part of the exchange.

Leafs are going to Woll up the net and play with miles and miles of Hart next year.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Unfortunately beside Helly there are no good goalies in the market
He'll be the best we can do but will have to dish out premium

Frankly speaking my confidence with Samsonov is utter low. Dude is another mental midget
He absolutely was trash in playoffs with the exception of maybe 2 games

I am ok giving him 1 year contract. But if you lock him up for long, you are goign to have another Jack Campbell in our case

There just has to be another option.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Around some terrible moments in the Tampa series, Samsonov still largely won the team that 1st round series. He's quite the rollercoaster ride. He does have that vibe like he'll suddenly "get it" and become a brick wall. I might be inclined to roll the dice on him again in lieu of nothing better if he were provably durable (he isn't.) What I don't want to see is him qualified. That would commit the team to an expensive short term contract for an inconsistent injury prone goalie. You may say the team can just walk away from a big arbitration ruling. First thing walking away would leave the team without a goalie after everyone else in the league has already sorted out their goaltending. Second thing the Leafs "winning" an arbitration ruling against Samsonov would still be a substantial monetary commitment exceeding what he was paid last season.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Spencer Knight is, or was in the player assistance program, Toronto is not fit for players with issues.

As for Hart turns out he was on team Canada in 2018, he might be very VERY f***ed
Yikes! I didn’t think about that. I’m on board the Hellebuyck train, but I was just about to post how Hart might be an even better fit.

Imagine if we traded for him, and then it comes out that he was involved?!? That would be just our luck.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be fine to extend him for something like 2 years at 3.75M to buy Woll time but if they were truly looking to upgrade goaltending, Saros seems like the better bet than Hart.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think this years playoffs have proven you don't need a true #1 goalie to have success.
Last years Cup winner was the same.

Lets not forget both Cup goalies this year started the Stanley Cup playoffs as backups.

Not saying having a great goalie doesn't hide a lot of warts but so does having a big defense unit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think this years playoffs have proven you don't need a true #1 goalie to have success.
Last years Cup winner was the same.

Lets not forget both Cup goalies this year started the Stanley Cup playoffs as backups.

Not saying having a great goalie doesn't hide a lot of warts but so does having a big defense unit.

I made a post in another thread where I listed every cup winning goalie from 1980-2022

You do need a true #1 for the amount of times a team without a true #1 goalie Adin Hill winning would change nothing.

Not because it hasn't been done, it has but it's so rare that Adin Hill winning would change nothing, it would be seen as a one off, because it would be and it will be another 10-20 years before it happens again.

And yes Dracy Kuempeur is a legitimate #1 goalie, he had a poor playoffs but he's put up #1 numbers before

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yikes! I didn’t think about that. I’m on board the Hellebuyck train, but I was just about to post how Hart might be an even better fit.

Imagine if we traded for him, and then it comes out that he was involved?!? That would be just our luck.

You have to think whoever trades for him knows he's in the clear why else would they do it?

They'd have to know something we don't.

Reactions: Peace Frog

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Sammy is a decent goaltender and very talented but his style is outdated. He let in about a soft goal a game in the playoffs (poor career record). I wouldn't be confident with him through a full run. Woll is very promising but not fully battle tested.

I dont think we're desperate but if a top flight goalie becomes available you go for it. Even if we're allowing for a one year adjustment period they aren't available every year.

Probably we run back the same duo.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sammy is decent but I wouldn't sign until Jarry does. It will definitely cap the contract and I bet the projections for him are too high. Helle really doesn't look like a money playoff goalie so the upside given the contract is tenuous at best

Reactions: hockeywiz542

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Call me crazy but I don't think the Leafs bring back Samsonov next season.

They could trade his rights. That’s an option but in the meantime they will qualify him.

trading him only happens if they acquire another top goaltender.

of course that does nothing to make the core 4 actually give a damn in elimination games.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Leaf won't need him with Carter Hart on his way from Philly in trade.

Sammy might even be on that southbound train to the city of brotherly love as an RFA in part of the exchange.

Leafs are going to Woll up the net and play with miles and miles of Hart next year.
Yay! Let’s do this!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad