Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Be prepared to be disappointed. One can hope but when I heard Shanny say he wanted to bring the dummy back, expect another early exit next year and the Dubasites to blame Tre and tell us we should not have fired the stick boy.
Tre has no say. Him playing along with the same old song is the reason he was hired in the first place. Blame Shanahan if you want to point the finger at the appropriate party. Which finger you point and which direction is up to you...

Reactions: Roadhog and ToneDog

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
We have to trade a core piece to get multiple prospects that we can flip to teams that are rebuilding like Winnipeg

Reactions: ToneDog

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I dont really like the duo, as I’m very skeptical is Samsonov. He was the same Washington goalie behind a better defence. When he’s not going he is Swimming, letting in weird angle goals. In the playoffs, we didn’t get great goaltending. He had a .898, that’s pretty poor. He also let in a ton of weird/bad goals.

Woll is super untested, I hope he isn’t just kallgren 2.0

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I dont really like the duo, as I’m very skeptical is Samsonov. He was the same Washington goalie behind a better defence. When he’s not going he is Swimming, letting in weird angle goals. In the playoffs, we didn’t get great goaltending. He had a .898, that’s pretty poor. He also let in a ton of weird/bad goals.

Woll is super untested, I hope he isn’t just kallgren 2.0

I like Sammy and Woll enough for what they are. They’re both cheap, young and talented with upside. But with a new set of eyes I don’t mind if we make a big investment in a bluechip goalie either…

The strongest Maple Leafs teams in my lifetime had Potvin, Cujo and Belfour. The previous era didn’t trust investing in goalies so they got these stop gaps. We don’t have to hold onto those beliefs anymore. Drawing on personal fan experience, a rockstar goalie allowed the 1999 Leafs to flourish offensively and make a deep run.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not a fan of Sammy. For 1 game he has 2 other bad games
But unfortunately the market is dry for goalies.

We need a stronger goalie prospect or a potential. I know Minny won't part with Wellested but he has making of a great goalie

Would be nice to get a young goalie for future with some upside

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Helle sounds good on paper, but, he is 1 playoff series win in 5 seasons, and is coming off a .886 last year... playing behind a better structure could help, but, there is still risk there in the playoffs.
mentally, he may not be as good a playoff goalie, as a regular season goalie.
some great regular season goalies have had really poor playoffs.

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Demko would be a fantastic score for a new GM. Hellebuyck quite likely has a few good years left in him, and it would be interesting to see how Hart performs with a decent team in front of him.

Demko, though, would be the pick if we could get one of those 3.

Having said that, Woll and Sammy seem like they could do the job, if everyone else would do theirs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Helle sounds good on paper, but, he is 1 playoff series win in 5 seasons, and is coming off a .886 last year... playing behind a better structure could help, but, there is still risk there in the playoffs.
mentally, he may not be as good a playoff goalie, as a regular season goalie.
some great regular season goalies have had really poor playoffs.
So we are buying low ?? I'd roll the dice on Helly before Murray or Mrazek.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So we are buying low ?? I'd roll the dice on Helly before Murray or Mrazek.
well, yes... Jarry is another injury prone wildcard too.
Gibson is another high risk/reward goalie on the block, but, asking price vs value is unreasonable.
his contract is yucky, and his stats the last 4-5 seasons have been poor. you can blame the team all you want, but, he lets in more than his fair share of stinkers, and he may have given up on the team, which is a bad look for a goalie.
Helle/Gibson would require Murray to be moved, and likely Samsonov going back in either situation.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
i'm tired of getting goalie'd. It would be nice if we did the goaling for once

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Gibson is another high risk/reward goalie on the block, but, asking price vs value is unreasonable.
his contract is yucky, and his stats the last 4-5 seasons have been poor. you can blame the team all you want, but, he lets in more than his fair share of stinkers, and he may have given up on the team, which is a bad look for a goalie.
Helle/Gibson would require Murray to be moved, and likely Samsonov going back in either situation.

Gibson hasn't been good for about 5 years now. He's at best average and doesn't solve our need

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Gibson is a non starter for me. Jarry is a good option if Sammy wants too much money or you move him and sign Jarry. As for Murray, LTIR would be great, buyout next. I can't see anybody trading for him unless you add something significant. He also has a partial NMC which makes it tougher to find a dance partner.

Well Hellebyuck is available and it sounds like Hart might be too.
Yes, hence why they were on my list. With Bob playing lights out, I wonder if Spencer Knight could be had.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Gibson is a non starter for me. Jarry is a good option if Sammy wants too much money or you move him and sign Jarry. As for Murray, LTIR would be great, buyout next. I can't see anybody trading for him unless you add something significant. He also has a partial NMC which makes it tougher to find a dance partner.

Yes, hence why they were on my list. With Bob playing lights out, I wonder if Spencer Knight could be had.
10 team no-trade ...but, if he's told, AHL or Arizona, he may opt for the NHL
the long break may have broken Bobby... cant see Fla move Knight though

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think Woll is going to turn into a very good goalie. Sure, he's young, but his numbers have been very good everywhere. I'm fine with a Samsonov and Woll combo as well. Sammy should be fairly cheap.

Until our core learn how to score in the playoffs... spending big assets on a older goalie doesn't make sense to me.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Spencer Knight is, or was in the player assistance program, Toronto is not fit for players with issues.

As for Hart turns out he was on team Canada in 2018, he might be very VERY f***ed

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is Samsonov a long term tandem/backup option?
I think they can do better so I wouldn’t spend a lot of cap space on him

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Samsonov did win some games for us in the Tampa series. He also had a terrible game, gave up one horrendous goal and got injured. Plus he was injured off and on during the season. I'm not saying he can't be the guy in some future playoff run but there's some built in uncertainty to him as your starter. The good news is that uncertainty should mean he isn't as expensive as he could be. I'd be wary of going through the whole process of qualifying him as an RFA risking arbitration rather than finding a number before the extension deadline. Undoubtedly the way arbitration leverage works with regards to number comparisons, he could get far too much than the organization should invest in an uncertain 1A/1B type of starter. This is the exact reason he wasn't qualified by Washington last summer.

I'm not convinced about Woll. I see holes in his game and also fragile confidence. Absolutely keep him and continue to work on his game. He's got the perfect contract if the team has to temporarily go with 3 goalies next season.

If the opportunity (and the means) to acquire a genuine number 1 starter isn't possible (this might happen), squeeze the contract on Samsonov, keep Woll and sign a vet.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think we can safely assume that Murray will be removed in some manner which leaves a platoon of Woll and Samsonov.

I get the need for a big time netminder, I've been saying that for years(since Belfour left) but the problem is obviously the cost in assets and fitting in the cap hit.
For that reason I am good with running back the current duo. I think Woll can be a starter in this league.

Anyone else on board or is a goalie one of the top priorities?

I agree. While I see the appeal of chasing after a Hellebuyck level goalie, the Leafs have been done in in recent playoffs because they fail to score enough. I'd rather use the assets and cap space an established upper echelon goalie would require on a defenseman or forward.

I also have faith in either one of Samsonov or Woll turning out into the starter we need going forward. Both guys are relatively young for goalies and have shown high-level play in their short careers. They're also cheap and cost-controlled for the next couple years so that's a big bonus.

My last reason for being against big-game hunting a goalie is just how volatile and unpredictable the position is nowadays. The most of the best goalies statistically this season were out in round 1, if not round 2. Only Oettinger made it past round 2 among top ten goalies who played at least 20 games. The two goalies dueling in the Finals now is Bobrovsky who was mediocre before this run, and an unknown Hill, who hasn't started more than 25 games in a season in his career.

Having an elite goalie would help, but it's no guarantee the Leafs would go far with him, just look at the Rangers these playoffs. The cost-benefit plus the potential I see in Sammy and Woll makes me against prioritizing a goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaFe and socko

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If we keep Woll we had better make sure we have the best type of coach for him. Historically we have NOT had good goaltending coaches, or at least none who had a positive effect.
Other teams seem to have far better rates of development.

For Samsonov, we get a psychiatrist.

As for Helly....there is not one player from Winnipeg that I would want.
We have a great fiddle coach now, Sanford is the real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad