Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Holland has been a truly awful gm. I had to respond to the Holland thread in the main board.

Leon has to play with a rotating group of wingers like Mcleod who's a healthy scratch on any given day. Or 40 year old Corey Perry.

Compare this to the team Zito and Mehta have built.
Holland has made some bad decisions for sure but he has also made some good ones.
I mean he did start out (5 years ago) by losing 2 cheap top 4 dmen in Klefbom and Larsson so thats tough to recover from. Add in a 4/5/6 dman like Nurse using up +40% of the money allocated to the entire D core and that hurts too.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Everything pregame was saying you just won't beat Bobo low. The Oilers all day stuffing pucks into pads and when they went high missing net. FRustrating game.

We had 3 breakaways and stuffed pads everytime. Its like they didn't even study Bobo. they had all week.
In the Woody era there was definately a lot of goalie scouting going on. I hope the same emphasis is being put on it with Knob. We will need to do our homework to beat Bob most effectively.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Holland has been a truly awful gm. I had to respond to the Holland thread in the main board.

Leon has to play with a rotating group of wingers like Mcleod who's a healthy scratch on any given day. Or 40 year old Corey Perry.

Compare this to the team Zito and Mehta have built.
Give Draisaitl a top winger and every other forward drops down a spot and they all look a little better.

The same concept works on defense. Ceci isn't a horror show on the third pairing.
Yes, Lavoie would be fishing the puck out of the net and if you wonder how Gagner would look, consider how slow Perry looks lol

Speed is clearly our gameplan and Foegele and Mcleod on the wing with another center is the correct play on the 4rth line imo, Ryan specifically
I beginning to think Gagner could out worm the worm.

I don't see this frantic compete and composure in front of the net from Perry. That's what he's supposed to bring.

This is the very first time in the playoffs that I'm contemplating parachuting in Gagner.

Reactions: Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
1.000sv% vs .882sv%

Its as simple as that.

One team got elite goaltending. One team couldn't get a key save.

On to the next game. Hope you can solve Bobrovsky and hope Skinner can provide .900 goaltending. Overall not a poor game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think we should crowd the crease more in front of Bobrovsky, create havoc, and go for the greasy rebounds. When he's dialled in like that you are not going to beat him cleanly.
Its exactly what we were doing though. For instance 3rd period Kane bulling around net. Mcleod dishes a puck in front, it somehow doesn't go in. Foegele makes a wrap, sends puck through crease, with Kane there, and somehow the puck with eyes goes right through the crease bouncing off nothing. Panthers were getting these kinds of breaks tonight and when they weren't they were getting Bobo.

Oilers were doing everything they legitimately could escept burying pucks. Hockey can be a strange sport. Ask Dallas Stars.

Hockey luck giveth and taketh away. Really the story of our past couple games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Chances are already strong that Panthers won the series. What is it, 70+% of whoever wins game 1, wins the cup? Have to win the next game to have any chance.
Can dig deeper and see how often teams in that 70% controlled 90% of play. Probably not much. Probably the Game 1 in those series showed the stark difference in quality of those teams, lots of Cup finals have been one-sided, we saw nothing of that sort tonight. I bet if you dig into it, you can probably just throw that stat entirely away considering what we saw in Game 1.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Two breakaways no goal when goalies was down and entire net open up top 2 goals against on first 5 shots. Not winning like that. Outplayed then territorially but no finish bad Defense on the 2 goals

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Holland has made some bad decisions for sure but he has also made some good ones.
I mean he did start out (5 years ago) by losing 2 cheap top 4 dmen in Klefbom and Larsson so thats tough to recover from. Add in a 4/5/6 dman like Nurse using up +40% of the money allocated to the entire D core and that hurts too.
No GM is perfect . Look at fkn Chiarelli for that example. I'd give Holland a bit of a pass in that this team made the Stanley Cup Final and made the top 4 a couple of seasons ago. Overall, he's done a pretty good job. He also had to dig out of the mess Chiarelli left behind.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
1.000sv% vs .882sv%

Its as simple as that.

One team got elite goaltending. One team couldn't get a key save.

On to the next game. Hope you can solve Bobrovsky and hope Skinner can provide .900 goaltending. Overall not a poor game.
Skinner could have had a .980 tonight and we’d have still lost. But sure, it all comes down to that and not at all the zero goals we scored.

Reactions: McDoused and Ibanez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No GM is perfect . Look at fkn Chiarelli for that example. I'd give Holland a bit of a pass in that this team made the Stanley Cup Final and made the top 4 a couple of seasons ago. Overall, he's done a pretty good job. He also had to dig out of the mess Chiarelli left behind.
He has done some good things so he deserves credit but his mistakes are massive.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Swap goalies and who wins tonight?
Considering thay bar down goal that the Cats buried. They probably still win, cause that goal goes in on Bob too.

But why are we even talking about this complete fantasy. This is the team we have, we have way better top end talent than they do, they have the better goalie. Have to find a way to win with what you got like we have been all playoffs. Not fantasize about these hypotheticals.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Considering thay bar down goal that the Cats buried. They probably still win, cause that goal goes in on Bob too.

Keep making those excuses. You're never winning games when a team scores on every one of their grade A chances.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Skinner could have had a .980 tonight and we’d have still lost. But sure, it all comes down to that and not at all the zero goals we scored.
Yeah 100%.
To make the claim that Skinner is to blame suggests that the poster didnt watch the game and just read the box score.

Reactions: sepHF and Ibanez

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keep making those excuses. You're never winning games when a team scores on every one of their grade A chances.
You’re not winning games scoring zero goals either. Both goaltending and goal scoring needs to be considered if you are going to analyze wins and losses. Hockey isn’t just played in the blue paint, it’s a 200 ft game.

Reactions: Ibanez

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
They’re aware they need to shoot high. It’s well known Bobrovsky is good on the ice

RNH took a slash to the hand right before he shot and Henrique got forced to the backhand from pressure, he’d probably like that chance back

RNH / Hyman / Ekholm all missed grade As trying to pick the corner / top shelf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad