Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We have new ownership, let’s see what they do first?
no we don't...its the same group and we don't even know if they are keeping the team.

Lets see what happens. If they were defacto keeping the team they would have put out a statement. They don't know yet and has been confirmed by Freidman who said the girls will be seeing their options come May

Reactions: Loach

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We have new ownership, let’s see what they do first?
I would think the association doesn't lend itself to confidence, nor have we heard anything from anyone, so there's no face to even associate ownership with. They'll have to prove themselves, but beyond looking up a few google images, many of which are from when they were children, we only know the Senators owners in name, don't know if they intend to stay, and are told the club is being run by a board of people we've never heard of. That's not the worst thing in the world, but nobody should be surprised at a lack of confidence at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would think the association doesn't lend itself to confidence, nor have we heard anything from anyone, so there's no face to even associate ownership with. They'll have to prove themselves, but beyond looking up a few google images, many of which are from when they were children, we only know the Senators owners in name, don't know if they intend to stay, and are told the club is being run by a board of people we've never heard of. That's not the worst thing in the world, but nobody should be surprised at a lack of confidence at the moment.

Who cares ? I I regularly hear that people don't need to hear from the owner. Our ownership has approved a small budget increase .. and I doubt they write nasty emails to the employees. We should be happy.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
At this stage, yes. Only because of the budget pressures. They have to do something with the 1st and package a prospect if they do not get Giroux. I think Sanderson will be the next big pressure point in two years time, and hoping they can convince Brown to stay, they next two years is the window to make a push and get into the playoffs with this core

I don't think there is a need to trade assets to get players now. Keep our draft picks and build for the future. I see the team becoming very good in 3 to 4 years from now (2024-25 and 2025-26 seasons) if we continue to increase the number of younger players on ELCs and RFA contracts. While I would like to keep some quality older vets like Connor Brown, I would not sign them to longer term contracts at high AAVs at this time. Perhaps in 3 years when the team becomes much better with its younger players.

Reactions: coladin

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Who cares ? I I regularly hear that people don't need to hear from the owner. Our ownership has approved a small budget increase .. and I doubt they write nasty emails to the employees. We should be happy.
We see 'new' owners put out statements or do a conference all the time

what are you talking about

If these girls are going to be leading the way going forward then they absolutely need to tell us that is the case. At this point is fairly obvious that they don't know if they are keeping or selling. The longer we don't hear from them makes me believe they are selling

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We see 'new' owners put out statements or do a conference all the time

what are you talking about

If these girls are going to be leading the way going forward then they absolutely need to tell us that is the case. At this point is fairly obvious that they don't know if they are keeping or selling. The longer we don't hear from them makes me believe they are selling

Why ? They are the owners until they aren't ... they could say they are keeping the team and sell if 3 months later. Every team gets sold at some point.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why ? They are the owners until they aren't ... they could say they are keeping the team and sell if 3 months later. Every team gets sold at some point.
Why what? Why is it important for them to put out a statement if they are planning on keeping the team?

I will let you figure that one out as to why it is important

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree with you here for the most part. It’s not the lack of confidence for me though, so much as the brazenness of loudly sharing the opinions, and the lack of patience to gather more information before sharing those opinions. It’s a bit calloused and boorish.

To me these are two young people that have inherited a massive responsibility, carry grief for their father passing, and are aware of the whirlwind of negativity surrounding their fathers legacy with the team. Patience and timing is key here for them I think.

We know how EM runs an NHL team, that’s pretty much it. We don’t know his finances, and we don’t know much about the current owners.

Once grief has subsided, and once they hashed out how they want to proceed, I’m sure we will hear from them. I would say that given the temperature in here on the subject, I doubt they want to come out to address the public/media right now and then have to field questions about the behaviour of their dad, demands on spending, questions about them selling, etc.. Best to come out with a plan to lay out and a vision to share. That takes time.

I’m really interested in seeing how this is all handled, and how they decide to proceed.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I already know you don't Sweatred, everyone does, you really don't need to tell me that. I'm pointing out the obvious likelihood. Some do care and I think that's reflected in the general tone right now and results of the survey.

Did I say we need to be a bunch of toxic assholes refusing to attend to give you fuel to start another rant? No, but I can understand why people would lack confidence in an ownership group we hardly even know who they are or if they're interesting in keeping the team. Of course the poll would be heavily skewed to a new ownership group, it's simple common sense.

You've made it clear you only care about what happens on the ice and you want to help whitewash Melnyk's behavior. You're entitled to that opinion, but you should be smart enough to realize it isn't that way for a lot of people and I think you're full of crap if you think Melnyk's shit should be downplayed to a few nasty emails.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Even if they hit their ceilings, 80% of McDavid and Draisatl are pretty lofty comparisons or hopes

I mean, they just combined for 29 points in a 5 game playoff series. The Sens as a whole team scored 130 points in their entire 2016-17 run.

Those two, by themselves, produced ~25% of the Sens team entire 2016-17 playoff run, in only 5 games.

That's 10 games 29 points, against 342 games, 130 points. Or, Using Bobby and EK (our 2 highest scoring players) they had 33 points in 38 games, and that's with a Conn Smyth type performance from EK.

Neither Norris nor Stutzle are likely to ever come close to 80% of either guy, 80% of either guy is literally a league MVP type player. Right now they are nowhere near 80%, and that's completely fine as it's an extremely unlikely scenario in general.

Norris was 80% of Draisaitl this season in terms of goal scoring GPG!

0.69 x 80% = 0.55 (Josh had a 0.53 GPG)

But yeah, in general, I think we would be pretty satisfied with 70%

Based on McDrai stats this season, that would mean 86 pts for Stutzle and 38 goals/76 pts for Norris

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree with you here for the most part. It’s not the lack of confidence for me though, so much as the brazenness of loudly sharing the opinions, and the lack of patience to gather more information before sharing those opinions. It’s a bit calloused and boorish.

To me these are two young people that have inherited a massive responsibility, carry grief for their father passing, and are aware of the whirlwind of negativity surrounding their fathers legacy with the team. Patience and timing is key here for them I think.

We know how EM runs an NHL team, that’s pretty much it. We don’t know his finances, and we don’t know much about the current owners.

Once grief has subsided, and once they hashed out how they want to proceed, I’m sure we will hear from them. I would say that given the temperature in here on the subject, I doubt they want to come out to address the public/media right now and then have to field questions about the behaviour of their dad, demands on spending, questions about them selling, etc.. Best to come out with a plan to lay out and a vision to share. That takes time.

I’m really interested in seeing how this is all handled, and how they decide to proceed.
Totally understandable that some are happy to wait and be patient. I just think it's a bit silly to expect the fan base to not prefer a different group. It just seems like common sense that of course the majority would prefer the devil they don't know to the one they associate the current ones with, whether fair or not.

There's just no safe assumption right now of who to associate ownership with. The possibility of them keeping or selling is hanging in the balance and not being able to come out and say otherwise keeps the speculation and concern alive. We've effectively never seen or heard from them other than photo ops with Dad. Until we know more, I don't expect much confidence and I think that's more than fair and to be expected.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I already know you don't Sweatred, everyone does, you really don't need to tell me that. I'm pointing out the obvious likelihood. Some do care and I think that's reflected in the general tone right now and results of the survey.

Did I say we need to be a bunch of toxic assholes refusing to attend to give you fuel to start another rant? No, but I can understand why people would lack confidence in an ownership group we hardly even know who they are or if they're interesting in keeping the team. Of course the poll would be heavily skewed to a new ownership group, it's simple common sense.

You've made it clear you only care about what happens on the ice and you want to help whitewash Melnyk's behavior. You're entitled to that, but you should be smart enough to realize it isn't that way for a lot of people and I think you're full of crap if you think Melnyk's shit should be downplayed to a few nasty emails.

Melynk has his legacy ... I'm sure it goes beyond the Senators stories in many elements of his life. Our current ownership have nothing to do with the actions of their father. Like most owners, they will own the team for 3 months, 3 years, 30 years or what ever they decide. Ownership is fluid, what's not for sale today may be for sale tomorrow.

What are you missing ? Why do you lack confidence ? you have an ownership group who will sign Norris, increase the budget, and turn the lights on. What else do you need?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Melynk has his legacy ... I'm sure it goes beyond the Senators stories in many elements of his life. Our current ownership have nothing to do with the actions of their father. Like most owners, they will own the team for 3 months, 3 years, 30 years or what ever they decide. Ownership is fluid, what's not for sale today may be for sale tomorrow.

What are you missing ? Why do you lack confidence ? you have an ownership group who will sign Norris, increase the budget, and turn the lights on. What else do you need?
I'm speaking more to the results of the survey than just my own feelings. It seems like common sense that most fans are first and foremost still wondering what's going to happen with ownership and that's on the forefront of their minds. You've made it abundantly clear that you only ever care about what happens on the ice and it's irrelevant to you. That's great, we're all allowed our opinions, but I can't explain to you what you can't relate to or refuse to give any credibility to. I'm confident in reading your posts that you just 100% can't or won't possibly give credence to the line of thinking you're referencing, so there's not much point in trying.

For better or worse, right or wrong, Ana and Olivia are going to be tied to their father and the way he ran the team in a lot of people's minds, at least in the interim of the club's future being decided. They'll have to find a way to shake that if they decide to stay on as owners and I think that'll be fairly easy if they're motivated, but I don't think it's at all unfair to say that not hearing from them is going to be able to accomplish that, again, even if they're well within their right to do so right now.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm speaking more to the results of the survey than just my own feelings. It seems like common sense that most fans are first and foremost still wondering what's going to happen with ownership and that's on the forefront of their minds. You've made it abundantly clear that you only ever care about what happens on the ice and it's irrelevant to you. That's great, we're all allowed our opinions, but I can't explain to you what you can't relate to or refuse to give any credibility to. I'm confident in reading your posts that you just 100% can't or won't possibly give credence to the line of thinking you're referencing, so there's not much point in trying.

For better or worse, right or wrong, Ana and Olivia are going to be tied to their father and the way he ran the team in a lot of people's minds, at least in the interim of the club's future being decided. They'll have to find a way to shake that if they decide to stay on as owners and I think that'll be fairly easy if they're motivated, but I don't think it's at all unfair to say that not hearing from them is going to be able to accomplish that, again, even if they're well within their right to do so right now.

Melynk past away less than a month ago ... I suggest a little patience is needed. You are sadly mistaken in your views of my position ... My ability to support the new owners has nothing to do with Melynk's legacy.

I'm not putting anything into your fan survey crap... 99% of fans wouldn't of traded EK if surveyed.... these things pop up all the time and its the same old excuses of traffic, cost, cold walks, bad hockey decisions, or whatever.

There are appropriate mechanisms for people directly impacted by Melynk's actions ... His daughters don't need to emotionally wear that.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Melynk past away less than a month ago ... I suggest a little patience is needed. You are sadly mistaken on your views of my position ...
Who isn't being patient?

You're confusing speculation and hope with lack of patience. There's many threads to just discuss lineups and development, etc. if that's all that a particular fan is interested in and that's their right, just as much as those still debating and wondering what the future holds for the franchise. I'm most interested in the ownership issue because I think it's the single most important factor for the team that's finally open to the possibility of change.

If you didn't see ownership as the primary problem, I would fully expect you to carry on and not care. If you felt otherwise, I can only assume that's still the primary point of interest surrounding the team.

I think you've made your views clear, but I'm not going to argue with you about it, everyone else can read our posts and make judgements for themselves.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Who isn't being patient?

You're confusing speculation and hope with lack of patience. There's many threads to just discuss lineups and development, etc. if that's all that a particular fan is interested in and that's their right, just as much as those still debating and wondering what the future holds for the franchise. I'm most interested in the ownership issue because I think it's the single most important factor for the team that's finally open to the possibility of change.

If you didn't see ownership as the primary problem, I would fully expect you to carry on and not care. If you felt otherwise, I can only assume that's still the primary point of interest surrounding the team.

I think you've made your views clear, but I'm not going to argue with you about it, everyone else can read our posts and make judgements for themselves.

So... What's the problem with our ownership? tell me 3 things.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
They don't have to do anything that stupid. You didn't give anything close to a legitimate reason and ignored my entire post. Stutzle just turned 20 Sanderson isn't on the team yet. Why on earth would this be the window?

Is this a joke or do you actually believe this? You'd think it's a joke but after quoting my last post you might actually believe it's true.
Funny you would think that I ignored your post. I just prefer to do something now while Stutzle and Sanderson and Formenton are not priced off the team.. I am realistic to the budget pressure of this team. If I felt that this team would spend to the cap then , hell no, I wouldn't trade that pick. But trading that pick to a team that is up against the cap works for the cap limited team as well as team that has cap space, right? Those three players will be too expensive for Ottawa soon, unless something happens ownership-wise.

I was responding to someone else, as that person didn't feel that, or was intimating that those players will not improve enough, along with the "core" to make a playoff push. I was making a point that those guys are going to continue to ramp up

and we are not likely to re-sign him with Joseph on this team, tbh.
This team needs Connor Brown on it. This is where the team must stay away from a perpetual rebuild

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Who isn't being patient?

"stop talking about things I dont want you to talk about! It makes me mad!"

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think there is a need to trade assets to get players now. Keep our draft picks and build for the future. I see the team becoming very good in 3 to 4 years from now (2024-25 and 2025-26 seasons) if we continue to increase the number of younger players on ELCs and RFA contracts. While I would like to keep some quality older vets like Connor Brown, I would not sign them to longer term contracts at high AAVs at this time. Perhaps in 3 years when the team becomes much better with its younger players.
I understand that point of view, and if it weren't for our ownership situation, I would agree with you and do what normal NHL teams would do. But this ownership has never been normal. I just don't see them being able to sign the core players without sacrificing the Colemans, the Maroons, the Nick Pauls, that you need to go deep. Moving Connor Brown would signify to me that this team is not serious about winning because, when the checking gets tight, the spotlight turns to him and Formenton, PInto hopefully, to support the top two lines. If we have Ennis in that role than we are always going to be f***ed.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Norris was 80% of Draisaitl this season in terms of goal scoring GPG!

0.69 x 80% = 0.55 (Josh had a 0.53 GPG)

But yeah, in general, I think we would be pretty satisfied with 70%

Based on McDrai stats this season, that would mean 86 pts for Stutzle and 38 goals/76 pts for Norris
This is doable, easily. Even next year if they stay healthy, and Pinto can create some space for the top two lines. This could turn quickly

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm still waiting for the organization to verify they arent keeping my money for games they wouldn't let me attend (or weren't able due to Covid restrictions) and get back to me on how I can use that credit to upgrade my package next season.

They literally won't help me give them money and I refuse to keep trying.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why would I answer that? If you'd read anything I've said, you'd know that's not at all my point.

You can disagree all you want, totally fine, but that's not a genuine response.

Ya, I know you complain a lot about our past owner (I hope your weren't personally impacted). Other than complaining, I can't really figure out what you're upset with this ownership group other than needing to hear from them and wanting them to own their fathers actions... Both of which are foolish to demand.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, I know you complain a lot about our past owner (I hope your weren't personally impacted). Other than complaining, I can't really figure out what you're upset with this ownership group other than needing to hear from them and wanting them to own their fathers actions... Both of which are foolish to demand.
Can you point to where he claimed to be upset with or made any indication of being upset with Olivia and Anna Melnyk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad