Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sanderson, Pinto and Greig could have a heavy impact next season. If we can manage to stay relatively healthy for once (when was the last time it happened in a season we were supposed to be competitive?), who knows?

Seriously, we could start being good (well, we really need to) soon and without giving up the moon. My plan B after Giroux is Valeri Nichushkin

Giroux - Stutzle - Batherson
Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson
Gambrell

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Murphy
Holden - Hamonic
Del Zotto

Forsberg

Gustavsson

- White bought out to save like 10 M$
- Murray on LTIR (after getting injured in a pre-season game?)
- Brannstrom traded to get Connor Murphy (4.4 AAV x 4 years)
- Thomson, JBD, Greig, Jarventie, Lodin, Sokolov, Crookshank, etc develop in the AHL

Flyers did 39 pts from 06-07 to 07-08. Penguins did a 47 pts jump from 2005-06 to 2006-07

Colorado 47 pts too from 2016-17 to 2017-18, the same season we lost 31 pts

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Those two pieces being McDavid and draisailt? The atlantic is stacked.
We already have McDavid and Draisaitl, 80% versions anyways. Top 6 winger and I would like a true Top 4 D. I think they will find forward help but don't think they will be able move Zaitsev, unless they take something back

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It is hard to say what the heck will happen next year because we don't really know the ceiling of the young guys. You look at a team like Pittsburgh who, other than Letang, assembled patchwork guys to play and they won Cups. Why? Because it seemd Crosby and Malkin had the puck all game, and their defence was perhaps based more on having the puck rather than elite defenders. Why can't that be Ottawa?

Brady is still getting better and he can score 40. Hell, he scored 30 during this miserable Covid and injury riddled season. Josh? Clearly has the potential to score 40. Drake? Healthy, he may have been a 80-90 pt player THIS year. Stutzle? Yikes, I don't know what his ceiling is. I have a feeling his floor will be a point per game player. These guys will have the puck a lot more, and if they can find someone on Stutzle's line, maybe with the addition of Sanderson, that may be enough to move this team into playoff contention
One of the cool stats I've seen improvement in is our special teams which made incredible progress from the misery of the previous 2 years.
PP: 14.2% in 2019-20, 15.5% in 2020-21, 19.3% in 2021-22 (with Norris, Batherson and Chabot all missing lots of time to injury this year)
PK: 76.1% in 2019-20, 79.0% in 2020-21, 80.3% in 2021-22 (increased PK% is pretty remarkable considering we took more penalties this year than the years before)

We've climbed from near the bottom of the league in both categories to being at least average in both with our PK closer to above average. The development of this team's young star players is happening, the systems are getting better, the trends are heading in the right direction (finally!) and we have a couple more pieces on the way to the lineup who can (should) make a big difference to this team's overall play.

I don't think it's crazy to say we could see a 25+ point swing in our standings results next year. We really weren't that far off, despite the overall record, from having a significantly better record this year. If November ends up being the same in terms of winning percentage (.508% over 63 games from December 1st to the end of the year), we'd have 83pts vs 73 with nothing else changing. The jump from 83 to high-90s (playoff contention) is a lot more doable. This team could easily be 8 wins better than what their record should have been this year.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
We already have McDavid and Draisaitl, 80% versions anyways. Top 6 winger and I would like a true Top 4 D. I think they will find forward help but don't think they will be able move Zaitsev, unless they take something back
Who?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Here are the significant UFA forwards :

Johnny Gaudreau, Filip Forsberg, Claude Giroux, David Perron, Valeri Nichushkin, André Burakovsky, Mason Marchment, Ryan Strome, Andrew Copp, Ondrej Palat, Max Domi, Reilly Smith, Ilya Mikheyev, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, Nino Niederreiter, Vincent Trocheck Rickard Rakell, Chris Tierney

I would like to see some kind of ranking with what player(s) people would WANT in priority. Of course several of these guys won't hit the market but curious to see who people want

Stutzle and Norris

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Johnny Gaudreau, Filip Forsberg, Claude Giroux, David Perron, Valeri Nichushkin, André Burakovsky, Mason Marchment, Ryan Strome, Andrew Copp, Ondrej Palat, Max Domi, Reilly Smith, Ilya Mikheyev, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, Nino Niederreiter, Vincent Trocheck Rickard Rakell, Chris Tierney

I would like to see some kind of ranking with what people would WANT in priority. Of course several of these guys won't hit the market but curious to see who people want

Stutzle and Norris
Well..no. lol. Really? Nvm. Hahaha

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015

I would like to see some kind of ranking with what people would WANT in priority. Of course several of these guys won't hit the market but curious to see who people want

Stutzle and Norris

Sneaking Tierney in there as a significant UFA forward :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Clearly, your mind is made up so I won't try and convince you. But this team is two pieces away from being a playoff team. There actually is a clear path to success and the pieces have been assembled. Took a little longer, but they are here and they are fantastic. Two pieces. If he can get one, that will be great. If he gets both, I don't see it.

The reality is the budget constraints will be a problem without a clear direction of who will own and run this team. If the team continues to move forward with the Melnyks, the situation will be more challenging. If they sell, new ownership will have a different focus and winning will mostl likely be more paramount, and not sure it will mean a cap team.

2 pieces. And without those pieces and the team trying to fill those wholes internally, I still feel this team will be closer to the playoff picture next year
Would you rather sacrifice the possibility of winning the cup to speed up a scorched earth rebuild that was always going to take this long? If there is new ownership they will want to be a contender when the new arena is built. Trading 7th overall will not help in that regard. This team needs to stay the path, dorion needs to put down the phone.

Not only are there a significant amount of UFA's most of the contenders are pressed against the cap. I have no idea why people think trading the top 10 pick is the way to go here. There are only so many landing spots. If management waits it out a bit they might even be able to get a guy on a short term prove it deal because they know they will get top 6 time in Ottawa. Time to get creative not desperate. The flat cap helps this team immensely even if they arent willing to take on a contract for picks they should still be able to exploit it.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Would you rather sacrifice the possibility of winning the cup to speed up a scorched earth rebuild that was always going to take this long? If there is new ownership they will want to be a contender when the new arena is built. Trading 7th overall will not help in that regard. This team needs to stay the path, dorion needs to put down the phone.

Not only are there a significant amount of UFA's most of the contenders are pressed against the cap. I have no idea why people think trading the top 10 pick is the way to go here. There are only so many landing spots. They might even be able to get a guy on a short term prove it deal because they know they will get top 6 time in ottawa. Time to get creative.

im with you. I hate the idea of trading the pick but have the feeling PD gonna try a career saving trade.

Reactions: DrEasy

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Im scared
QMNZ.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DJB

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Is Dorion saying he is open to trading the 7th pick all that big a deal?

I don't think anyone expected him to say otherwise. We're obviously in need of a top-6 W and top-4 D and that pick is our best asset right now outside of trading a core player.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I figured I'd get attacked for saying such blasphemy, but honestly would not surprise me.

maybe sign a 1 year deal somewhere for a league minimum. No chance i'd give him even a mil for 1 year. But GMs do dumb stuff in free agency.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well..no. lol. Really? Nvm. Hahaha

Well, That's probably who the poster was referring too... Centers, one is an offensive dynamo, the other is a goal scoring center

Norris was on a 43 goals pace... Draisaitl scored 55 goals x 80% = 44!

McDavid only had 123 pts x 80% = 98 pts

Maybe Stu will be able to reach that level someday! That would help a lot if Stu becomes Elite

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Well, That's probably who the poster was referring too... Centers, one is an offensive dynamo, the other is a goal scoring center

Norris was on a 43 goals pace... Draisaitl scored 55 goals x 80% = 44!

McDavid only had 123 pts x 80% = 98 pts

Maybe Stu will be able to reach that level someday! That would help a lot if Stu becomes Elite
That would be nice for sure.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
maybe sign a 1 year deal somewhere for a league minimum. No chance i'd give him even a mil for 1 year. But GMs do dumb stuff in free agency.
Ya I could see a desperate team doing it based on his resume, but he wouldn't be the first guy having to accept a PTO to prove it again. His numbers were awful last year.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
If we can have one...which one? A top 6 F or top 4 D? All things being equal..good player that fits the team, contract works, the players/picks delt for said player we can all live with. Name of the player is irrelevant.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
and somehow I think he played worse than his numbers indicate given the goals that bounced in off him lol
Lol. Well he only has himself to blame. He was gifted a ton of opportunity his skillset didn't really justify these last few years.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is PD strengthening his position by saying the 7oa is in play or weakening it? On the one hand it could be perceived he is a touch desperate, on the other hand it provides him the ability to respond to any enquiry by saying he has several pursuers and you're going to need to up your offer.

He's also looking for an impact player that is both young and has term (or control). Generally speaking that type of player is going to be challenging to acquire

I'm ok if we keep the pick. Just sign Giroux and keep the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad