Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Likely will never be spoken about if he ever wants another job…

It would have wasted time in the interview asking a question you know they wont answer. Also risk pissing him off and not doing more interviews and what not. Its just part of the business

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It would have wasted time in the interview asking a question you know they wont answer. Also risk pissing him off and not doing more interviews and what not. Its just part of the business
If he'd intended to comment on it, he would have already. Definitely not getting anything from him at this point.

He's probably just focusing on what he'll do next at this point.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, I'm sure lots of folks get concerned knowing that Dorion may be feeling pressure to get something done.

On your 2nd paragraph, yes I agree. After looking at CapFriendly, there are quite a few teams (21 teams approximately by my estimation) this year that are already either at cap, or that are close with several players needed to fill out a 23 player roster.

Got to factor in LTIR as well as part of the exercise mentioned above.

To me, its looking like a lot of teams will need to do a lot of work to meet cap so this would be a good market environment for a GM with cap space to navigate.

I agree with Bert, keep the 7 OA draft pick and stay the path of building a team via the draft. Sign a decent UFA, not one going downhill fast or injury prone. Avoid Dorion trades.

Reactions: Bileur

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Would you rather sacrifice the possibility of winning the cup to speed up a scorched earth rebuild that was always going to take this long? If there is new ownership they will want to be a contender when the new arena is built. Trading 7th overall will not help in that regard. This team needs to stay the path, dorion needs to put down the phone.

Not only are there a significant amount of UFA's most of the contenders are pressed against the cap. I have no idea why people think trading the top 10 pick is the way to go here. There are only so many landing spots. If management waits it out a bit they might even be able to get a guy on a short term prove it deal because they know they will get top 6 time in Ottawa. Time to get creative not desperate. The flat cap helps this team immensely even if they arent willing to take on a contract for picks they should still be able to exploit it.
At this stage, yes. Only because of the budget pressures. They have to do something with the 1st and package a prospect if they do not get Giroux. I think Sanderson will be the next big pressure point in two years time, and hoping they can convince Brown to stay, they next two years is the window to make a push and get into the playoffs with this core

Oct 10, 2010
I can easily see a scenario where Connor is moved to free up some much need capital to help sign CG.

Unlike many of our higher paid veterans, Brown is actually worth a damn.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At this stage, yes. Only because of the budget pressures. They have to do something with the 1st and package a prospect if they do not get Giroux. I think Sanderson will be the next big pressure point in two years time, and hoping they can convince Brown to stay, they next two years is the window to make a push and get into the playoffs with this core
They don't have to do anything that stupid. You didn't give anything close to a legitimate reason and ignored my entire post. Stutzle just turned 20 Sanderson isn't on the team yet. Why on earth would this be the window?
Because, sadly, Norris and Stutzle have clearly hit their respective ceilings
Is this a joke or do you actually believe this? You'd think it's a joke but after quoting my last post you might actually believe it's true.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They don't have to do anything that stupid. You didn't give anything close to a legitimate reason and ignored my entire post. Stutzle just turned 20 Sanderson isn't on the team yet. Why on earth would this be the window?

Is this a joke or do you actually believe this? You'd think it's a joke but after quoting my last post you might actually believe it's true.
I think the window officially opens in the 23-24 season. At that point, the majority of the core is entering their statistical prime.

I'm easy either way on the 7oa. I can see both sides. But if we're going to move it, we need a solid return. Packaging the pick and a near ready prospect could return a solid player.

What I'd really like is Giroux.

Reactions: PlayOn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because, sadly, Norris and Stutzle have clearly hit their respective ceilings
Even if they hit their ceilings, 80% of McDavid and Draisatl are pretty lofty comparisons or hopes

I mean, they just combined for 29 points in a 5 game playoff series. The Sens as a whole team scored 130 points in their entire 2016-17 run.

Those two, by themselves, produced ~25% of the Sens team entire 2016-17 playoff run, in only 5 games.

That's 10 games 29 points, against 342 games, 130 points. Or, Using Bobby and EK (our 2 highest scoring players) they had 33 points in 38 games, and that's with a Conn Smyth type performance from EK.

Neither Norris nor Stutzle are likely to ever come close to 80% of either guy, 80% of either guy is literally a league MVP type player. Right now they are nowhere near 80%, and that's completely fine as it's an extremely unlikely scenario in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loach

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

1500 responses. 75% want to see Dorion fired, 85% want to see new ownership.

Did you vote?

This not a good sign. Looks like ticket sales will be lean again. More reasons and excuses for not showing up to support the team. Really need to get over front office and back to the icevrink.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

1500 responses. 75% want to see Dorion fired, 85% want to see new ownership.
Its not a good sign finishing at the bottom of the standings year after year. Eventually something needs to give if its not working. If the organization is not concerned about results it will be hard to win the fans over, season ticket holders in particular.

Reactions: ksens

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Wow. 1,500 is a significant sample size. Nice to see this thinking isn’t isolated to HF as some would have us believe.

Not too shocking to most I'd guess. Almost all the Sens fans I've talked to want to move on from Dorion. There's a small minority who want to keep him but most want a new GM. Its not a massive sample size, but it aligns with that poll.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Did you vote?

This not a good sign. Looks like ticket sales will be lean again. More reasons and excuses for not showing up to support the team. Really need to get over front office and back to the icevrink.

I voted, sure.

Selling the team and then having new owners fire Dorion and every Sens executive would be a great way to get people to show up and support the team. October will be here soon, time to get cracking.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I voted, sure.

Selling the team and then having new owners fire Dorion and every Sens executive would be a great way to get people to show up and support the team. October will be here soon, time to get cracking.
100%

It is much easier to start fresh then to try and have fans forget about what occurred here

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Maybe it’s like car forums where only people with problems tend to post threads?

The trade opinions look pretty bad.

We do have new ownership, perhaps the question should have been new new,

I think these surveys are nice for fans and media to bond, but they also serve as a stark reminder to people in any sports organization that they should never make decisions based on what fans think.

You can basically ignore the fans and they will show up once the team starts winning.

I mean EM up and died, and folks are still going on about new ownership and fire everyone. It’s a beast unto itself at this point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Of course the majority in Ottawa wants new ownership. Lol, wtf did anyone else expect any different on a poll about Senators ownership?

It's been the biggest subject around this team for a long time now. If anything I'm surprised it's not closer to 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad