Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Is PD strengthening his position by saying the 7oa is in play or weakening it? On the one hand it could be perceived he is a touch desperate, on the other hand it provides him the ability to respond to any enquiry by saying he has several pursuers and you're going to need to up your offer.

He's also looking for an impact player that is both young and has term (or control). Generally speaking that type of player is going to be challenging to acquire

I'm ok if we keep the pick. Just sign Giroux and keep the pick.

Doesn’t sound like a Giroux wants to play in Ottawa … or any team that is concerned with selling tickets or merch. Dorion needs players who want to be part of the solution here.

Reactions: Boud

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Flyers did 39 pts from 06-07 to 07-08. Penguins did a 47 pts jump from 2005-06 to 2006-07

Obligatory:

1653593047175.png

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Would you rather sacrifice the possibility of winning the cup to speed up a scorched earth rebuild that was always going to take this long? If there is new ownership they will want to be a contender when the new arena is built. Trading 7th overall will not help in that regard. This team needs to stay the path, dorion needs to put down the phone.

Not only are there a significant amount of UFA's most of the contenders are pressed against the cap. I have no idea why people think trading the top 10 pick is the way to go here. There are only so many landing spots. If management waits it out a bit they might even be able to get a guy on a short term prove it deal because they know they will get top 6 time in Ottawa. Time to get creative not desperate. The flat cap helps this team immensely even if they arent willing to take on a contract for picks they should still be able to exploit it.
Yes, I'm sure lots of folks get concerned knowing that Dorion may be feeling pressure to get something done.

On your 2nd paragraph, yes I agree. After looking at CapFriendly, there are quite a few teams (21 teams approximately by my estimation) this year that are already either at cap, or that are close with several players needed to fill out a 23 player roster.

Got to factor in LTIR as well as part of the exercise mentioned above.

To me, its looking like a lot of teams will need to do a lot of work to meet cap so this would be a good market environment for a GM with cap space to navigate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Is Dorion saying he is open to trading the 7th pick all that big a deal?

I don't think anyone expected him to say otherwise. We're obviously in need of a top-6 W and top-4 D and that pick is our best asset right now outside of trading a core player.
Ya, I see others thinking about that as well.

Given how many teams are going to face cap challenges this year, I'm not sure he really needs to advertise he's open for business.

By going through CapFriendly and looking at the numbers, I noticed that there were around 21 teams (depends on the exact criteria you use to reach the number of course) that will need to fill multiple roster spots while not having much cap space to accommodate this objective. That should be his target list you would think, and there's no shortage of teams that he could approach that will need to do something.

LTIR situations could play a role, so you have to factor in LTIR as well as part of the exercise mentioned above.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Doesn’t sound like a Giroux wants to play in Ottawa … or any team that is concerned with selling tickets or merch. Dorion needs players who want to be part of the solution here.

before this thought runs off and becomes true in peoples heads the twitter poster who said this..... is a meme account and admitted it was fun posting misinformation.

Reactions: bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Is PD strengthening his position by saying the 7oa is in play or weakening it? On the one hand it could be perceived he is a touch desperate, on the other hand it provides him the ability to respond to any enquiry by saying he has several pursuers and you're going to need to up your offer.

He's also looking for an impact player that is both young and has term (or control). Generally speaking that type of player is going to be challenging to acquire

I'm ok if we keep the pick. Just sign Giroux and keep the pick.
A lot of teams need multiple players to fill out a 23 player roster yet have little cap space to work with. Even a cursory glance at CapFriendly (something even posters here can do) will reveal this. That's a pretty big shopping or target list. See post #58 & #60.

I'd say the smart play for a GM to do is to do the research and analysis, target the teams that face cap challenges along with the target players on those teams, and start making calls.

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Do we know anything official yet in terms of what happened with McGuire?
Will never find out for sure, but occam’s razor can probably be used in this case.

Dorion likely never wanted him here. He’s the only guy who is in the organization from a hockey ops standpoint that could make that call, or argue/defend the point.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Do we know anything official yet in terms of what happened with McGuire?

probably wont know for a while, if at all. NDA was likely signed and the Sens arent gonna leak anything unless it makes them look good. I doubt Pierre did anything insane behind the scenes but possibly annoy the living shit out of people

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
probably wont know for a while, if at all. NDA was likely signed and the Sens arent gonna leak anything unless it makes them look good. I doubt Pierre did anything insane behind the scenes but possibly annoy the living shit out of people
Probably gave someone a "Double Dion!" in the hallway.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad