Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
it is life.

what do you think Managers and owners do on a regular bases.

What do you think teachers do? evaluators? Judges, juries.

we teh voters.

Imagine Andlauer.. he has to do this.. he may not sit and create a table in solid fashion, but he must analyze the moves as I DID AND COME TO A CONCLUSION. sorry about teh caps.
Ya that's fair. We are all just putting forward our opinions and versions of events.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
One thing is for sure is that when this young talented team wins the cup, I will be the first to point out that a big part of the credit should go to Dorion who is the one who build this team. Like it or not he is the architect of this team and no fans can ever take that away from him. Will he get fired yes like all GM's do at one point.
I'm sure people will point out that Dorion wasting a 2nd round pick in 2020 invalidates all of this.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Which actor is going to play Pierre Dorion in the upcoming Moneypuck movie?
1694111753932.jpeg

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I'm sure people will point out that Dorion wasting a 2nd round pick in 2020 invalidates all of this.
hey Swifty,

Michael Andlauer coming in at this time and being handed this team. It is like someone giving him a new Ferrari. Inside, is a credit card, prepaid for every gas station on earth. A note from Interpol saying he will never be stopped. A card that allows him to have a Ferrari crew get to him wherever he is for service and a rolodex with a number for every playboy playmate the last 20 years.

Is this why we have not seen him? He is buzzing on the Autobahn with miss July next to him!!!

He must be beside himself with joy.

I wonder what Miss July looks like?.... PLEASE..NO ONE POST ANYTHING..the mods

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Lol. They handled it all like a live grenade and made it way harder on themselves than it needed to be. It was comical at times and obviously why they went completely dark with media spots because they couldn't handle them without skewering themselves.

How many pro sports teams have undergone rebuilds and not faced the wrath they did?

It was a reflection of their poor PR handling of it and an already severed relationship from Melnyk's antics like ruining the outdoor game with threats of moving the team.

Thankfully, the team is on the right track and spending to the cap now, but who knows what would have transpired if Melnyk were alive today.

First I've heard that one...
The PR was terrible. That doesn't change the fact that tearing it down to the last stud was the right plan from day 1. We all have a scorched earth rebuild to thank for where we are today.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The PR was terrible. That doesn't change the fact that tearing it down to the last stud was the right plan from day 1. We all have a scorched earth rebuild to thank for where we are today.
Ya I never had a problem with that part specifically, personally speaking.

Its not easy though. Half a decade of irrelivancy and no gaurantees. I can see why some orgs dont wanna go there, especially those with cash to blow that can re-tool a little easier.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The buy-in could've absolutely been there had the lies not been fast and furious. We didn't need to go scorched earth on the roster AND the fanbase.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Ya I never had a problem with that part specifically, personally speaking.

Its not easy though. Half a decade of irrelivancy and no gaurantees. I can see why some orgs dont wanna go there, especially those with cash to blow that can re-tool a little easier.
Literally every team goes through extended stretches of irrelevancy though.

But between when we first made the playoffs in 97 and when the tank began we were one of the most consistent teams in the NHL. We made the show 16 out of 20 seasons, including 11 in a row which was only surpassed by Detroit at the time. We also had more stars come and go than your average team including one of the best captains of our generation and the best defenseman. All this for a small market team that lived in the shadows of Montreal and Toronto.

Honestly, considering the success of the franchise since 92, cup notwithstanding, I would say 6 years of rebuilding (or do we call it 5?) is a fair price to pay for the history we have enjoyed and a return to a long stretch of consistency that we are about to experience.

We are the next top franchise in the NHL, no question about it and after we win a cup pundits will look as far back as our inauguration talking about how great a franchise this has been and the dark years will only be a small yet critically important footnote to it all.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The buy-in could've absolutely been there had the lies not been fast and furious. We didn't need to go scorched earth on the roster AND the fanbase.
Uhhh no, you don't go anything but scorched earth with a rebuild when you're as close to rock bottom as we were in 2018. When EK decided he was gone the writing was on the wall. Languish in the 6-15 spots for a few years or rebuild. There was no buying our way to relevancy unless you're trying to roll the dice on another 2017 cinderella run (but minus the guy that got us there).

The plan to rebuild back in 2018 isn't in question.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Uhhh no, you don't go anything but scorched earth with a rebuild when you're as close to rock bottom as we were in 2018. When EK decided he was gone the writing was on the wall. Languish in the 6-15 spots for a few years or rebuild. There was no buying our way to relevancy unless you're trying to roll the dice on another 2017 cinderella run (but minus the guy that got us there).

Amen. The truth is strong.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

You misunderstand my use of the term “buy-in.” I mean the fans could’ve been on board with the process, not led to believe that we were intending to be competitive. I’m saying the bad PR cost us a lot more in goodwill from the fanbase than it gained in leverage.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
You misunderstand my use of the term “buy-in.” I mean the fans could’ve been on board with the process, not led to believe that we were intending to be competitive. I’m saying the bad PR cost us a lot more in goodwill from the fanbase than it gained in leverage.
Fair most of the PR was a botch job except the part where we were told we were entering a rebuild.

FYOUS was a pretty dumb thing to say but then again COVID hit and I've always maintained that we prolonged the tank because a young team was not going to thrive in a bubble so why try.

But I kind of feel that at the end of the day who gives a sh1t about the PR? We are where we are and I think most of us can agree it worked out. Melnyk is gone, we move on and look forward.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like how they focused on building chemistry, character, and culture throughout the rebuild and now that the young core has been assembled we’re starting to hear them talk about the chemistry, character, and cutler of the team in glowing terms.

It really does look like a well thought out plan, implemented patiently, is coming to fruition. Not without setbacks and mistakes, but overall a fantastic rebuild of our team.

He’ll always have that in his cap regardless of what happens next. Who ever comes in eventually will have no excuses not to have sustained success.

Happy and exciting times in sensland regardless of the trivial front office pseudo-drama.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Literally every team goes through extended stretches of irrelevancy though.

But between when we first made the playoffs in 97 and when the tank began we were one of the most consistent teams in the NHL. We made the show 16 out of 20 seasons, including 11 in a row which was only surpassed by Detroit at the time. We also had more stars come and go than your average team including one of the best captains of our generation and the best defenseman. All this for a small market team that lived in the shadows of Montreal and Toronto.

Honestly, considering the success of the franchise since 92, cup notwithstanding, I would say 6 years of rebuilding (or do we call it 5?) is a fair price to pay for the history we have enjoyed and a return to a long stretch of consistency that we are about to experience.

We are the next top franchise in the NHL, no question about it and after we win a cup pundits will look as far back as our inauguration talking about how great a franchise this has been and the dark years will only be a small yet critically important footnote to it all.
For sure they do. I don't think anything compares to scorched earth rebuilds for irrelevancy though. They're for die hard's prospect following only. Especially for a franchise struggling so much financially at the time that part of the plan was going as cheap as possible and having little on the roster worth the price of admission or the drive to an arena out of town. You're right though, it doesn't mean anything now. Everyone should be excited and this franchise is on the cusp of something big. New owner, cap spending, solid core locked up, new arena hopes renewed, legacy people like Redden, Leeder and Alfie coming back, good roster on paper. It all feels too good to be true. Finally, the franchise can move forward with all its possibilities at its disposal and not be handicapped. I didn't think there would ever be a day we'd be a cap team again or be able to hire reputable people in the future and now it's not even a question.

I agree with a lot of what you said. They've had a solid run as a franchise despite the budgets, small market, and ownership issues. And like I said, I see the need for rebuilds. They were admittedly in a tough spot already with the Melnyk relationship being beyond repair and it sounds like the franchise was a mess internally. It's the Karlsson's and Stone's that fans love, not the Melnyk's and Dorion's and it was a messy divorce. Also tough circumstances with losing Methot/Macarthur, Karlsson injured and basically lost, Anderson and Condon struggling mightily, vets like Phaneuf and Smith needing to retire, etc. sort of forcing it on them even more. They ended up with a thin roster the year it fell apart and then dealt what ended up a lottery pick that is usually the focus of excitement during a rebuild. It was 0-60 after the run, Duchene coming in, then the collapse and rebuilds don't usually go like that, so stark adjustment for everyone. Then they were signing everyone as it came down to the wire and then everyone was gone. It was just a really rocky ass go at it and I think that's fair to say and I don't blame anyone that criticized, but ya, dawn of a new era for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad