Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Read the post I’m responding to, talking about changing the GM and bringing in an entire new staff, but the hiring cycle being over and us not being able to bring in who we want. Pretty self explanatory. Not my fault Count couldn’t use context before posting assuming I’m talking about the players in a conversation completely about the structure of management and lack of new hires.

Andlauer wants to get his identity on the team. He wants his people in charge. We were unable to do that this summer because of the sale not being completed on time. That will, barring a collapse, happen this coming summer. The team as of now has the same oversight as the previous regime. Right now, there isn’t a single Andlauer hired employee in the Sens Org. Our owners identity isn’t imprinted yet, we will have to wait because of the timing of the sale.

We’re in the GM/Front office thread, in a conversation about brining in a whole new set of front office employees at the highest levels. An entirely new identity and structure to the management of the Sens.
You assumed I was talking about the players… I was not.

The sale is being complete exactly on time, there was never a fixed time limit on the sale, it was complicated because of unfortunate death of the previous owner, and the estate probably going through the probate process and the NHL trying to extract the highest value possible for the franchise…. The time it takes will be the time it takes… they’re not trying to accommodate a small fraction of vocal fans who want a clean sweep of the managerial staff.

You seem to be also assume that Andlauer has an urgent and compulsive need to “put his idenTito on the team”… just wondering why you would think that, and if you had some inside knowledge of this. You could be right, but it could also be that he is a patient and cautious man, who knows that big swings of the axe, once he walks in as the Majority owner is not the first impression he want to convey to the fan base, and most importantly to his fellow owners.
I would go so far to suggest that he will come in, and slowly get the lay of the land and access the entire management staff, from top to bottom … and eventually bring in some “advisors” who could well be in line for top management positions when the time comes to make changes…. When that happens is anyone’s guess, but right away, as some here have suggested is the least likely in my opinion….. having been involved in a few ownership changes in my working career, this is what I’ve seen first hand and in other situations that I’ve observed …. There will be a transition period and the time frame could very well be related to the play of the team when the season gets closer to Christmas, the trade deadline and the final stretch to make the playoffs.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

So much for the "we have no prospects" narrative...

This list doesn't even count Tkachuk, Norris and Batherson, who barely missed the cut...

The high ranking is due to Stutzle and Sanderson.

The prospect pool is bottom 3rd of the league at the moment. That may even be a bit generous.

With the young NHL talent on the Sens roster the future is bright. Some of the current prospect crop just needs to provide cheap depth to compliment the high-end young core.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The high ranking is due to Stutzle and Sanderson.

The prospect pool is bottom 3rd of the league at the moment. That may even be a bit generous.

With the young NHL talent on the Sens roster the future is bright. Some of the current prospect crop just needs to provide cheap depth to compliment the high-end young core.
Why do people keep trying to exclude Sanderson and Stutzle??? It's a GOOD THING that our prospects are so good that they graduate to the NHL before other prospects.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
People exclude them from discussions about prospects because they aren't prospects, seems pretty straight forward.

That's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

What I have an issue with is using prospects as a measuring stick when you're excluding similarly aged players who were simply too good to remain prospects.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Why do people keep trying to exclude Sanderson and Stutzle??? It's a GOOD THING that our prospects are so good that they graduate to the NHL before other prospects.

I never said it was a bad thing. Stutzle and Sanderson are clearly high-end young players that will define this iteration of the Sens. If they push for a cup, those two studs will be the driving force.

What they aren't, is prospects. The current prospect pool is comprised of potential solid depth players and longshots.

It doesn't need to be a top-5 pool with the young NHL talent the Sens have. It is most certainly a bottom 3rd of the league prospect pool though.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seriously??
25.08.2023_01.53.50_REC.png

Good analysis and definitely worth paying $15 for.

• Haha
Reactions: Upgrayedd

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I never said it was a bad thing. Stutzle and Sanderson are clearly high-end young players that will define this iteration of the Sens. If they push for a cup, those two studs will be the driving force.

What they aren't, is prospects. The current prospect pool is comprised of potential solid depth players and longshots.

It doesn't need to be a top-5 pool with the young NHL talent the Sens have. It is most certainly a bottom 3rd of the league prospect pool though.
That’s why it’s a U23 list.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Last month, NHL Radio on Sirius-XM rated each teams' GM. The segment lasted 15 minutes and I took a few notes. Don't shoot the messenger LOL.

It’s now or never for PD. The team lost games last year that they should have won which killed the season. Felt that PD may be the victim of excess criticism. Don’t see a lot of bad moves. Has built a pretty good hockey club. Lots to like about Ottawa. Has operated under difficult circumstances. He has taken some risks, and some haven’t paid off. The team has potential. It’s up to the players and coaches now to win hockey games. He has built a great top 6, then Josh Norish went down and Formenton didn’t play. Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa has the ability to get into the playoffs. All the parts are there to make the playoffs. The Tim Stutzle extension was a tremendous contract. The Jakob Chychrun trade was good – didn’t have to give up a lot and the contract is decent. Credit given on drafting Jake Sanderson. At the time it was risky passing on Drysdale, but Sanderson looked like a beast last year. Trading for Giroux was a good move. The Debrincat trades were tricky, he paid a bit more for only a year’s play. One area where PD can be criticized is Goaltending. The Matt Murray trade was a disaster. No one has been giving term to goalies and somehow PD gave 5 years to Korpisalo. Ottawa needs a goalie that can make saves. Ottawa hasn’t had a First Round pick in the last two drafts, but the team still looks very good. There is more good than bad, but the team hasn’t made the playoffs. They should make the playoffs this year if the team stays healthy. If the defence stays healthy and if Sanderson and Branstrom continue to progress, they the defence is formidable. Final grade B-/C.

Reactions: Crosside

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Last month, NHL Radio on Sirius-XM rated each teams' GM. The segment lasted 15 minutes and I took a few notes. Don't shoot the messenger LOL.

It’s now or never for PD. The team lost games last year that they should have won which killed the season. Felt that PD may be the victim of excess criticism. Don’t see a lot of bad moves. Has built a pretty good hockey club. Lots to like about Ottawa. Has operated under difficult circumstances. He has taken some risks, and some haven’t paid off. The team has potential. It’s up to the players and coaches now to win hockey games. He has built a great top 6, then Josh Norish went down and Formenton didn’t play. Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa has the ability to get into the playoffs. All the parts are there to make the playoffs. The Tim Stutzle extension was a tremendous contract. The Jakob Chychrun trade was good – didn’t have to give up a lot and the contract is decent. Credit given on drafting Jake Sanderson. At the time it was risky passing on Drysdale, but Sanderson looked like a beast last year. Trading for Giroux was a good move. The Debrincat trades were tricky, he paid a bit more for only a year’s play. One area where PD can be criticized is Goaltending. The Matt Murray trade was a disaster. No one has been giving term to goalies and somehow PD gave 5 years to Korpisalo. Ottawa needs a goalie that can make saves. Ottawa hasn’t had a First Round pick in the last two drafts, but the team still looks very good. There is more good than bad, but the team hasn’t made the playoffs. They should make the playoffs this year if the team stays healthy. If the defence stays healthy and if Sanderson and Branstrom continue to progress, they the defence is formidable. Final grade B-/C.

And Andlauer knows this. He has been in constant discussion with PD. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Upgrayedd

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

if by messenger, you mean: NHL radio?

Do you really expect hard analysis??? where is Gord Wilson when you need him? If all you did was listen to him, you would still be looking for the Stanly Cup parade(s) the last 30 years, consecutively.

So NHL radio evaluating, NHL GMs.
Or Gord Wilson analyzing the Sens
Or TSN/Sportsnet analyzing Canadian Teams

they asked the Republican candidates for President at last weeks debate; How many will still support Trump even if he is convicted? All but one put up their hand.

nothing like neutral, hard analyses!!! At least B(-)/C grade. I would have assumed all 32 GMs got A+. Go get Him Nikki Hailey.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Did Dorion ever play hockey at a meaningful level? He's not in hockeydb as far as I can tell.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Did Dorion ever play hockey at a meaningful level? He's not in hockeydb as far as I can tell.
It's the most impressive feat of singular scouting focus and falling upwards in human history. Took his marching orders from the Canadiens and Bryan Murray, rode the bus for years and years and parlayed that into a NHL GM job by pure happenstance. He has a horseshoe up his ass for sure. He doesn't have any other perceivable talents IMO.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's the most impressive feat of singular scouting focus and falling upwards in human history. Took his marching orders from the Canadiens and Bryan Murray, rode the bus for years and years and parlayed that into a NHL GM job by pure happenstance. He has a horseshoe up his ass for sure. He doesn't have any other perceivable talents IMO.

I am pretty sure his hairstyle has a lot to do with it… and maybe his ability to look the camera straight in the lens and state the facts (without missing a beat)

• Haha
Reactions: branch and Loach

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I am no fan, but be a tad faire.

The son of a longtime NHL man. If you look at th NFL as an example; sons of, have succeeded tremendously.

In both the NBA and NFL, the term son of a coach or son of an exec is like a royal title.

He also worked in scouting himself. And worked in the background for the Sens for 5-6 years.

So while I would hardly label him as the second coming of Sam Pollack or Frank Selke (I am hoping you know who they are!!), he is not someone who tripped into that position.

Contrary to myth, you do not trip into positions and stay. I tripped into my last job..and tumbled right out of it.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad