Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
So PD should NOT have acquired a goaltender…. So who would have been the Starter and the Back up?

And what should he have done with the Cap Space allocated to Korp?

Get a goalie; just don't get one who has been a starter-backup tweener for the majority of his career for 5 years.

Or don't trade Gustavsson last year.

I'm optimistic that Korpi will be useful but if he isn't we are stuck trying to get the Forsbergs, Talbots and Korpis for the next 5 years because we have committed too much cap space.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Korpisalo isn't any more proven than Forsberg. Well see I guess, hopefully Korpi's improved play last season was really a result of him finally getting surgery and not just a one-year anomaly.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't you think firing everyone in a yr where we are expected to make the playoffs would cause some upheaval & potentially set us back rather than forward for a while at least & maybe cost us a playoff berth next yr? If they get off to a poor start than I would expect someone to get fired, but not everyone all at once. And if they get off to a good start than the point is moot because I doubt they fire anyone when they are doing well, but we shall see. soon enough.
I think we need a new GM asap. Give him the power to hire his own staff. He can keep some of the existing staff if he judges them as suitable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't you think firing everyone in a yr where we are expected to make the playoffs would cause some upheaval & potentially set us back rather than forward for a while at least & maybe cost us a playoff berth next yr? If they get off to a poor start than I would expect someone to get fired, but not everyone all at once. And if they get off to a good start than the point is moot because I doubt they fire anyone when they are doing well, but we shall see. soon enough.
I think it would improve the roster construction in the long run. The new GM could retain any staff he wants for as long or short as he wants.

Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Looks like the writing is on the “Wall” as Steve Staios is scrubbed from the Oilers management website…..

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Happens a lot with guys that are in those types of positions

Him being/not being on the website or program has little/nothing to do with him staying or leaving.

I personally think he's a Sen with absolute certainty for the start of next season, and would be right now had the sale given the means to make meaningful MGMT changes earlier than 2 weeks before the start of the season.

It wouldn't be unheard of to make a GM change that late in the game, but I think it will happen during a losing streak/end of season, regradless of how the Sens finish

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Putting aside who the GM is, the problem I see is how thin our front office is on the scouting and player development front, and the fact that the hiring cycle for the coming season is now complete. Yes, Staios could come here for a promotion, but a lot of the other people who we would have liked to slot into a lot of those roles are already committed somewhere else for the coming season. The glacier-like sale and transition process has really hampered us...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Putting aside who the GM is, the problem I see is how thin our front office is on the scouting and player development front, and the fact that the hiring cycle for the coming season is now complete. Yes, Staios could come here for a promotion, but a lot of the other people who we would have liked to slot into a lot of those roles are already committed somewhere else for the coming season. The glacier-like sale and transition process has really hampered us...
The second we weren't able to make changes in May/June, we were in trouble. It put the team behind another year with regards to getting it's new identity and structure.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Korpisalo isn't any more proven than Forsberg. Well see I guess, hopefully Korpi's improved play last season was really a result of him finally getting surgery and not just a one-year anomaly.

He is more proven in the playoffs, but other than that you're right.

Many goalies have taken off in their late twenties to have good to great careers, our best goalie of all time who played more than 1 season Craig Anderson is a perfect example of that.

Hopefully he plays well during his contract and Soogard or Merilainen take over as starter in a few years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He is more proven in the playoffs, but other than that you're right.

Many goalies have taken off in their late twenties to have good to great careers, our best goalie of all time who played more than 1 season Craig Anderson is a perfect example of that.

Hopefully he plays well during his contract and Soogard or Merilainen take over as starter in a few years.
I hope he wins the Vezina trophy. By the way I met Vezina’s grandson a few years ago. :)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1692466140780.png

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The second we weren't able to make changes in May/June, we were in trouble. It put the team behind another year with regards to getting it's new identity and structure.

what is the current identity, and what exactly is wrong with it, that requires it to be changed?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
what is the current identity, and what exactly is wrong with it, that requires it to be changed?
Pretty self explanatory

We are a Team.
Internal competition.
Play hard.
Character.

LMAO at the last one. This team had never lacked character with respect to variety, lots of low quality characters ran through this organization from ownership, management down to players.

All in the same while, the team boasts the best top-6 forwards and top-4 defencemen since 2007 run.

A real paradox, before you look at the depth chart/prospect pipelines.

Waiting to see what decisions the new ownership takes that will project this team’s ambition moving forward. I hope Andlauer will hold management and coaching accountable for their perfomance while providing support and minimal hockeys ops interference in making this team a perennial contender. Would love to see a winning culture as part of establishing the team’s identity under new ownership.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think team identity is fine, not self explanatory to me.
Read the post I’m responding to, talking about changing the GM and bringing in an entire new staff, but the hiring cycle being over and us not being able to bring in who we want. Pretty self explanatory. Not my fault Count couldn’t use context before posting assuming I’m talking about the players in a conversation completely about the structure of management and lack of new hires.

Andlauer wants to get his identity on the team. He wants his people in charge. We were unable to do that this summer because of the sale not being completed on time. That will, barring a collapse, happen this coming summer. The team as of now has the same oversight as the previous regime. Right now, there isn’t a single Andlauer hired employee in the Sens Org. Our owners identity isn’t imprinted yet, we will have to wait because of the timing of the sale.

We’re in the GM/Front office thread, in a conversation about brining in a whole new set of front office employees at the highest levels. An entirely new identity and structure to the management of the Sens.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad