Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I really think Dorion setting up himself for failure with his weird allegiance to DJ.

If we are off to a bad start, it should be put solely on DJ Smith. He should be first within first 3 weeks of .500 play or worse.

Then, if we are still playing poorly by January, can Dorion.

Yeah… Brady and others are losers too for say DJ is a great coach. We should trade them.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah… Brady and others are losers too for say DJ is a great coach. We should trade them.

You can come across nice people who are a disappointment in the role they are supposed to serve.

Some might be closer to home than others.

What are the players supposed to say? If they like him they obviously don't want him fired. If they don't like him you're still a clown to come out and say "yeah f*** that guy, fire him".

Reactions: Rodzilla and DrEasy

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
How do you even go from a nice guy who is only complimentary and friendly to being a hard ass who demands performance and has standards?

Weird transition, but one he has to make.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't think so. Not for thinking the only NHL coach he's ever had , that does nothing but praise him, is great. I'm giving Tkachuk a three zone pass on that

fetchimage

Hey that's our system! 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I really think Dorion setting up himself for failure with his weird allegiance to DJ.

If we are off to a bad start, it should be put solely on DJ Smith. He should be first within first 3 weeks of .500 play or worse.

I think at a certain point if coaches keep going out the door and nothing changes people start to realize you're the constant variable. I suspect that's part of Dorion's reasoning for keeping DJ right now.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You can come across nice people who are a disappointment in the role they are supposed to serve.

Some might be closer to home than others.

What are the players supposed to say? If they like him they obviously don't want him fired. If they don't like him you're still a clown to come out and say "yeah f*** that guy, fire him".

With the injuries and goaltending, he did great.

The players want coaches that teach them. DJ turned around the team a lot last year. You also have to remember he had a revolving cast the first 3 years

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He is best friends with all of the players and lets them do whatever they want. Of course they love him.

He has said himself he needs to take a harder tone with these guys and hold them to a higher standard.
That’s not at all how Bobby Ryan described him as a coach, but what does he know?

I don’t think anyone in here knows much of anything about how DJ is in the room, or as a coach in general to be honest.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think at a certain point if coaches keep going out the door and nothing changes people start to realize you're the constant variable. I suspect that's part of Dorion's reasoning for keeping DJ right now.

Agreed, but the guy has put up best roster since 2007 and has kept DJ for 4 seasons. No one gonna be shocked one bit if he fires DJ. Not one bit.

Reactions: BigRig4

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

I would have thought that at the start of the summer but my biggest concern with not moving DJ would be that other names are taken.

DJ has warts but the players love him.

Julien Gallant and to a lesser extent Coach Q are all still available. Roy is there too

This is best case scenario imo.

They get to start with a familiar face. It’s not that I hate DJ but I don’t have the patience to watch him grow, in the end he should be a better coach this year.

If we start bad we have all the names I would be interested still available so it’s a win win

So we’re either good, or we’re bad and have good coaches as back up options

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
DJ will be the fall guy if the team does not perform well during the first month or two of next season.

Dorion will have to fire him if he is still the GM.

I think both are on the hot seat and would not be surprised if one or both are gone soon.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This die-hard allegiance to dorion and dj by some is so weird to me.
I’ll take this one:

I think its more like some people just aren’t angry and looking for blood so they don’t much care about it the same as many other internet posters do.

When folks are so vehement about someone getting fired, everyone who isn’t looks like die-hards in favour of them.

No one on here is a die hard fan of either guy, no one here goes on about either in glowing terms. Some folks are fine with both getting a shot to try and win with the roster they built and developed, but that’s about it.

Many of those fans scratch their heads about why some fans get so worked up about NHL personnel.

:)

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I'll admit it. I like DJ and think he's good for the team. I blame goaltending and injuries for last season's playoff miss... not DJ. And for his previous three seasons, he wasn't really given a chance to have success.

I think you guys over value the importance of a head coach. Obviously there has to be someone in charge on the bench and in the room but the team captain and assistants have a much bigger impact. The head coach gives his pre game message and it either motivates the players or it doesn't. Based on DJ's popularity, I would say he is motivating.

Every team in the NHL plays the same way. I've heard players say that. The best teams just execute better than the poor teams. But to think that one coach can out coach another... I don't buy it.

Full disclosure; I never played organized hockey as a youth and never had a hockey coach so I could be wrong about this.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I’ll take this one:

I think its more like some people just aren’t angry and looking for blood so they don’t much care about it the same as many other internet posters do.

When folks are so vehement about someone getting fired, everyone who isn’t looks like die-hards in favour of them.

No one on here is a die hard fan of either guy, no one here goes on about either in glowing terms. Some folks are fine with both getting a shot to try and win with the roster they built and developed, but that’s about it.

Many of those fans scratch their heads about why some fans get so worked up about NHL personnel.

Its just peculiar to me that the same people always pop up every time they're mentioned unfavorably, to remind everyone how little they actually know and to give them a chance (for the fourth, fifth, sixth year in a row).

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'll admit it. I like DJ and think he's good for the team. I blame goaltending and injuries for last season's playoff miss... not DJ. And for his previous three seasons, he wasn't really given a chance to have success.

I think you guys over value the importance of a head coach. Obviously there has to be someone in charge on the bench and in the room but the team captain and assistants have a much bigger impact. The head coach gives his pre game message and it either motivates the players or it doesn't. Based on DJ's popularity, I would say he is motivating.

Every team in the NHL plays the same way. I've heard players say that. The best teams just execute better than the poor teams. But to think that one coach can out coach another... I don't buy it.

Full disclosure; I never played organized hockey as a youth and never had a hockey coach so I could be wrong about this.

I think holding people accountable is needed no matter what job you're working.

If a coach isn't doing that, or those working under him aren't respecting him... time to bring someone else in.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Its just peculiar to me that the same people always pop up every time they're mentioned unfavorably, to remind everyone how little they actually know and to give them a chance (for the fourth, fifth, sixth year in a row).

I mean that’s one way to look at things for sure!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
DJ will be the fall guy if the team does not perform well during the first month or two of next season.

Dorion will have to fire him if he is still the GM.

I think both are on the hot seat and would not be surprised if one or both are gone soon.
I think both probably are on the hot seat and both need a successful season to keep their jobs.

But as much as there may be guys cheering for that eventuality, there are circumstances occurred over the past 4 years that are quite valid.

Last year was the first year where Dorion able to spend and make moves. He did. We had a decent roster that was thin depth wise. Injuries hit hard. 7 goalies. No chance. This summer, I think he's put us in excellent shape. We have a top 4 D signed for at least 2 years that is as good and as deep as anything we've seen in 20 years.

On DJ's end, last year was the first year he was tasked with winning really and before that could get going, injuries derailed things and then the goalie carousel got going.

So if his primary objective was developing, we've got Stuetzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson that look about as good as can possibly be. I suppose we've got Chabot that has stalled or regressed. Is that on DJ or on Chabot? Who knows.

This year, playoffs or bust for both.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I think both probably are on the hot seat and both need a successful season to keep their jobs.

But as much as there may be guys cheering for that eventuality, there are circumstances occurred over the past 4 years that are quite valid.

Last year was the first year where Dorion able to spend and make moves. He did. We had a decent roster that was thin depth wise. Injuries hit hard. 7 goalies. No chance. This summer, I think he's put us in excellent shape. We have a top 4 D signed for at least 2 years that is as good and as deep as anything we've seen in 20 years.

On DJ's end, last year was the first year he was tasked with winning really and before that could get going, injuries derailed things and then the goalie carousel got going.

So if his primary objective was developing, we've got Stuetzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson that look about as good as can possibly be. I suppose we've got Chabot that has stalled or regressed. Is that on DJ or on Chabot? Who knows.

This year, playoffs or bust for both.
What about Murray and Dadonov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad