Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
1on1, sure. Together, nah. NHL shown us depth is the way to go. We are a better team today with those 2 instead of ADB no question, imo. Moreover, wouldn't be least bit surprised to see either put up a better season than ADB. Unlikely, but would not be surprising.
depth is much more dependent on us having Norris back. Pinto improving, Greig improving and Joseph improving. If that doesn't happen then we won't have strong depth.

Also DBC had a poor year by his standards. Thats not the measuring stick for him. I think most people belivee he will bounce back. Zero chance Kubalik is putting up the points that DBC did last year

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I want to give Dorion credit for Tarasenko, but also think he'll have to pay to get out of a cap problem he created.

He's paying to move Joseph, who received that contract after a brutal sample size.
He has to move Brannstrom, who he just signed.

Ideally, Brannstrom gets a two year deal with a lower aav similar to Liljegren so we save a bit off cash, and Hamonic isn't extended.

Dorion will have to get very creative to make the cap work, but odds are we'll see a continued trend of him paying to get out of his own moves.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
4 years @ 5.5 per wouldn't have been ideal. It would have been ok, but you can see Tarasenko crashing within that contract.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Yeah that’s unacceptable if true.

This is what I mean when I say Ottawa not being an attractive UFA destination and the years of Melnyk penny pinching may have been a blessing in disguise.

Dorion can't be trusted with money/term to throw around. Thank god for Tarasenko not wanting to spend the rest of his career here. Dodged a bullet.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This is what I mean when I say Ottawa not being an attractive UFA destination and the years of Melnyk penny pinching may have been a blessing in disguise.

Dorion can't be trusted with money/term to throw around. Thank god for Tarasenko not wanting to spend the rest of his career here. Dodged a bullet.
still concerning when Dorion does successfully get the opportunities to make these mistakes.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He likes the big names , big splashes.. Dodged a bullet for sure.
Still want to see these guys keep reduce the goals against and the coaching adjustments to do that . The forward roster defensively will have some hurdles to overcome and I really have seen no evidence that DJ can get them there.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Again Dorion being saved by a player in making terrible moves.

Last summer it was Murray not wanting to go to Buffalo and wasting a 1st on that.
This summer its possibly having a Dadonov 2.0 situation.

This dude man, just when you think he's figured it out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Last summer it was Murray not wanting to go to Buffalo and wasting a 1st on that.

that's what happens when you run on emotion vs logic.. We love 1 year Tarasenko over 4 year Tarasenko.

Reactions: DrEasy

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

This is all desperation stuff. The DeBrincat situation was a f***up, and now he's relying on Tarasenko and Kubalik to replace him. Which, to his credit will work for this year, but then we're right back behind the 8-ball trying to find appropriate talent, while DeBrincat is still locked up.

Tarasenko is a good band aid, but like most bandaids, that glue isn't going to hold for long.

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Exactly. We know that Philly wants a 1st for Laughton, so we give them a 1st, but they have to take Joseph & Brannstrom since Joseph alone isn't going to replace Laughton's pts but the two together come close & we need to free up cap space. I would love to have Crouse, but I doubt Joseph & Brannstrom with the 1st would be enough, I would love to have Tarasenko for the top six to push Kubalic down to the 3rd, but that would put us over the cap & cost us more assets to get rid of Joseph & Brannstrom. We need a deal that moves out money & bring in a guy who fits the cap & leaves room for callups & a TDL move should we need it. Right now the only guy that could be available that I'm aware of that checks all those boxes is Laughton IMO.
Imagine turning

Stone + DBC + Paul into Laughton + Kubalik

Crazy that we are one step away from that

Reactions: Bileur

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Maybe, maybe not. 31 is pretty early for that stark a decline to happen.
Thats a sweeping generalization based on age. With the way he played before and his 3 shoulder injuries and his game have already begun to decline

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Thats a sweeping generalization based on age. With the way he played before and his 3 shoulder injuries and his game have already begun to decline
I read, I'm not sure where, that his shoulder injuries had fully healed - successfully, so there's no real reason to think it would happen again - unless he's unlucky.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
he put up a pts per game season after his getting surgery for 3 shoulder injuries. His poor season seems to be more related to a hand issue it seems, he had 29 pts in 34 games (70 pts pace) before breaking his hand and missing 10 games.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he put up a pts per game season after his getting surgery for 3 shoulder injuries. His poor season seems to be more related to a hand issue it seems, he had 29 pts in 34 games (70 pts pace) before breaking his hand and missing 10 games.
yes so he is decline. a 1 year deal is much much better than 4 years of a guy whose game is statically declining. The injuries are not going to get better with age

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
yes so he is decline. a 1 year deal is much much better than 4 years of a guy whose game is statically declining. The injuries are not going to get better with age
Is he in decline, or did a puck hitting his hand impact his season? That type of injury happens no matter who you are. I mean, he's not the player he was back in his prime, but 70 pts pace is the same thing as Giroux had the year before we signed him and its in the same ball park as his seasons prior to the knee issue.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Is he in decline, or did a puck hitting his hand impact his season? That type of injury happens no matter who you are. I mean, he's not the player he was back in his prime, but 70 pts pace is the same thing as Giroux had the year before we signed him and its in the same ball park as his seasons prior to the knee issue.
I think most people were surprised with how Giroux was. It should not be the expectation for Tarasenko whose numbers have dropped

Can tarasenko have a great year? sure. I don't think we expect that though

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think most people were surprised with how Giroux was. It should not be the expectation for Tarasenko whose numbers have dropped

Can tarasenko have a great year? sure. I don't think we expect that though
But Tarasenko was putting up those numbers until breaking his hand, after which there was a clear drop. It stands to reason the injury may have played a role in his second half after returning from a broken hand.

His injury wasn't the result of where and tear, or being older, it's not the type tof injury you can expect lingering effects from, so the claim that he's declining seems to be premature is my point.
Maybe he does decline, maybe he has a great year like Giroux, I'm not sure there's enough evidence to assume either one though. Writing him off seems like a mistake.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think we all agree that 1 year is way better than 4, but if - repeat if - his shoulder is good to go and it was his hand that hampered him, there's really no reason that he should hard decline between now and 35.

This all depends on how he trains too though, obviously

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
But Tarasenko was putting up those numbers until breaking his hand, after which there was a clear drop. It stands to reason the injury may have played a role in his second half after returning from a broken hand.

His injury wasn't the result of where and tear, or being older, it's not the type tof injury you can expect lingering effects from, so the claim that he's declining seems to be premature is my point.
Maybe he does decline, maybe he has a great year like Giroux, I'm not sure there's enough evidence to assume either one though. Writing him off seems like a mistake.
he had 10 goals in 34 goals before the hand injury for st louis which is a 24 goal pace

his numbers declined before the hand injury and he has been more injury prone

also he has hard miles on his body with his play style in his prime..3 shoulder surgeries is no joke either

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I am very glad we didn't give Tarasenko 22mil but he will have some chance at out-earning it, I think. Will be interesting to track down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad