Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unfortunately I don't think that Joseph is considered to be an "asset". You're likely going to have to pay to get him off of the payroll.
I mentioned in my post Joseph, Brannstrom PLUS which means something else to sweeten the pot. It's not about Joseph's contract or anything else other than bringing in a better player that this team needs now to make them a playoff contender & to create some cap space. For example, I have posted they send the 2024 1st rd conditional pick to Philly along with Joseph & Brannstrom for Laughton.

That would get rid of both those guys & their contracts for an upgrade on the 3rd line which they need at a cheaper price. Many don't want Laughton because they want a better more productive offensive player, but those players cost more in terms of the acquisition price & their salary which Ott might not be able to afford. Laughton we know we can afford & he's an upgrade & we can move two weaker players. I would prefer Crouse, but I think he would cost a lot more to acquire & his salary which we might not be able to afford. Who else is available that we can afford who won't cost as much that brings some grit & offence to the 3rd line & at the same time allows us to improve on those two positions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mentioned in my post Joseph, Brannstrom PLUS which means something else to sweeten the pot. It's not about Joseph's contract or anything else other than bringing in a better player that this team needs now to make them a playoff contender & to create some cap space. For example, I have posted they send the 2024 1st rd conditional pick to Philly along with Joseph & Brannstrom for Laughton.

That would get rid of both those guys & their contracts for an upgrade on the 3rd line which they need at a cheaper price. Many don't want Laughton because they want a better more productive offensive player, but those players cost more in terms of the acquisition price & their salary which Ott might not be able to afford. Laughton we know we can afford & he's an upgrade & we cvan move two weaker players. I would prefer Crouse, but I think he would cost a lot more to acquire & his salary which we might not be able to afford. Who else is available that we can afford who won't cost as much that brings some grit & offence to the 3rd line & at the same time allows us to improve on those two positions?
Given what we have to move and to reduce the need to give up a those opportunities should be explored. Kleven can play bottom pair adequately for sure .

Replacing Joseph shouldn't be a big issue.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given what we have to move and to reduce the need to give up a those opportunities should be explored. Kleven can play bottom pair adequately for sure .

Exactly. We know that Philly wants a 1st for Laughton, so we give them a 1st, but they have to take Joseph & Brannstrom since Joseph alone isn't going to replace Laughton's pts but the two together come close & we need to free up cap space. I would love to have Crouse, but I doubt Joseph & Brannstrom with the 1st would be enough, I would love to have Tarasenko for the top six to push Kubalic down to the 3rd, but that would put us over the cap & cost us more assets to get rid of Joseph & Brannstrom. We need a deal that moves out money & bring in a guy who fits the cap & leaves room for callups & a TDL move should we need it. Right now the only guy that could be available that I'm aware of that checks all those boxes is Laughton IMO.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Exactly. We know that Philly wants a 1st for Laughton, so we give them a 1st, but they have to take Joseph & Brannstrom since Joseph alone isn't going to replace Laughton's pts but the two together come close & we need to free up cap space. I would love to have Crouse, but I doubt Joseph & Brannstrom with the 1st would be enough, I would love to have Tarasenko for the top six to push Kubalic down to the 3rd, but that would put us over the cap & cost us more assets to get rid of Joseph & Brannstrom. We need a deal that moves out money & bring in a guy who fits the cap & leaves room for callups & a TDL move should we need it. Right now the only guy that could be available that I'm aware of that checks all those boxes is Laughton IMO.
Maybe we can avoid the 1st. I would look at including Boucher for example . Try to hang on to the 1st

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Kelly also really needs to rebound in a big way or he should be fired off in to the sun. I'm hoping they don't pencil him in as a full time player and make him earn his spot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Maybe we can avoid the 1st. I would look at including Boucher for example . Try to hang on to the 1st
I would not, given Laughton's age we would be looking for a Boucher replacement in future anyway & it might cost us a 1st then to acquire that kind of player. We have another first & the team is young & the prospect pool will recover. Boucher may never become a top six guy, but he might become a Crouse, Kilorn or Laughton type & every playoff team wants that kind of player on their roster going into the playoffs. I also want to get the Joseph & Brannstrom contracts off our books & give us some cap space, moving Boucher or another prospect doesn't get rid of any money, those two free up almost $5 mil.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dorion has acquired previous players before. Hoffman is available for basically free and would fit salary wise. He could ride shotgun on the 2nd or 3rd line. And hey, according to this he plays a "Gritty Game" lol, just the kind of player we need!

Hoffman is a hard working forward who plays a gritty game. Offensively, he has a great shot and good playmaking ability, too. A speedy skater, he could improve his defensive game.

Abe.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m willing to be patient with Boucher. Probably should be keeping firsts, we’ve parted with a couple lately.
Likewise, I’m just stating that given Boucher vs mid/late 1st, I don’t think there are any teams that would prefer Boucher.

Agree we should be keeping the 1sts.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
there's no way I'd give up 2 NHL players and a 1st for Laughton. Joseph had an injury riddled down year but he's an NHL player. As is Brannstrom.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

I have no issue with Kleven replacing Branstrom if those extra $1.2 million dollars can go towards an upgrade on the second/third line.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I would not, given Laughton's age we would be looking for a Boucher replacement in future anyway & it might cost us a 1st then to acquire that kind of player. We have another first & the team is young & the prospect pool will recover. Boucher may never become a top six guy, but he might become a Crouse, Kilorn or Laughton type & every playoff team wants that kind of player on their roster going into the playoffs. I also want to get the Joseph & Brannstrom contracts off our books & give us some cap space, moving Boucher or another prospect doesn't get rid of any money, those two free up almost $5 mil.
Boucher has no where near the offense to be comparable to those guys

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't think we know that yet, he has been injured too often to make that assessment.
he hasn't shown anywhere that he can produce like those guys you listed. Its probably even worse since he has missed valuable development time.

Reactions: Sun God Nika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad