Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I can see the new owner immediately put in a POHO the minute he comes in to keep Dorion in check if they don't decide to replace him right away, and bide their time until they find a better replacement. That would make sense before making the sweeping changes to the hockey ops and coaching staff needed next offseason.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can see the new owner immediately put in a POHO the minute he comes in to keep Dorion in check if they don't decide to replace him right away, and bide their time until they find a better replacement. That would make sense before making the sweeping changes to the hockey ops and coaching staff needed next offseason.
I could definitely see that. I could also see him ripping the bandage off right away and bringing in Staios to be his GM, and unveiling a POHO at the same time. Either way, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that a guy who just paid a billion for a franchise and who is a lifelong fan of the game has a plan in place that has been ready for some time, and will be executing it on day one.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I could definitely see that. I could also see him ripping the bandage off right away and bringing in Staios to be his GM, and unveiling a POHO at the same time. Either way, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that a guy who just paid a billion for a franchise and who is a lifelong fan of the game has a plan in place that has been ready for some time, and will be executing it on day one.

True, but I don't think he has the right management team ready to go. If he is smart he waits until the right people are available. He knows this team is done with a rebuild, and needs a team to keep them successful. That is usually done with well seasoned management people. I doubt Andlauer will just give the keys to some buddies, that haven't proven much. Hopefully not. I wouldn't toy with an investment like that.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

well technically Andlauer did not ”just paid a billion” for the franchise, he is the Majority owner(51%) of a group of owners that have probably put up some principle, but the majority of the billion is being financed though a few lending institutions.

I’m sure a number of us have been part of a company that was acquired by another company, and that the acquiring company does bring in some new management to oversee, at first the transition to the new companies management style and culture, and after about a year of getting to know the personnel in the acquired company, bigger moves are made, and restructuring and layoffs are made.

coming in on day one and ripping off the bandage is the least likely scenario, imo.

Reactions: aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
well technically Andlauer did not ”just paid a billion” for the franchise, he is the Majority owner(51%) of a group of owners that have probably put up some principle, but the majority of the billion is being financed though a few lending institutions.

I’m sure a number of us have been part of a company that was acquired by another company, and that the acquiring company does bring in some new management to oversee, at first the transition to the new companies management style and culture, and after about a year of getting to know the personnel in the acquired company, bigger moves are made, and restructuring and layoffs are made.

coming in on day one and ripping off the bandage is the least likely scenario, imo.
We don’t know what the percentage is, probably higher than 51%, but nothing confirmed.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Guarantee you if the order of Dorion making those statements was reversed, nobody would be making a fuss about it. Important context being left out in this tweet but hey it’s twitter, needs a reaction

It's just a strawman. At some point people get held accountable and there is nothing wrong with that. Dorion set reasonable expectations and then failed to meet them.

You don't get to suddenly change reasonable expectations to unreasonable ill-defined ones and run a victory lap.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's just a strawman. At some point people get held accountable and there is nothing wrong with that. Dorion set reasonable expectations and then failed to meet them.

You don't get to suddenly change reasonable expectations to unreasonable ill-defined ones and run a victory lap.
Naw, it’s a pretty standard HFBoards hypocrisy.

It‘S all part of the same game; similar to how your synopsis of expectations during the rebuild here isn’t rooted in the reality of what actually happened either.

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

You can if you underestimate your fans and think they aren’t paying attention.

Dorion got completely owned by Mendes in his end of seaosn press conference and the reaction was “well what’s a couple years off in a rebuild anyways”.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Good breakdown here from Ian. Pretty much what some of us have been saying on here but its better laid out than our posts lol.

Effectively we still need that one more middle 6 forward piece. And IMO that piece has to be better than a PTO last legs type of player. I would like a good 2 way player .. better than the Patrick Brown type of addition Dorion gave us at the TDL. Better than Brassard although Brassard outperformed other/most 3rd line players in the lineup last year. I know Formenton is extremely unlikely but someone with his capability would be great. I still like Laughton there.
Trading for Laughton likely means Kubalik is a rental , if that isn't already the case.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If this is the final roster heading into the season I have the same worries as last year's team. This team is too injury-prone to survive with that middle-six.
If Timmy gets injured for more than 10-15 games we are F...ED

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO they need to move out Joseph & Brannstrom to be a playoff team & if they could use those two assets plus to bring in a good top 9 winger that would push them into playoff contention.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
IMO they need to move out Joseph & Brannstrom to be a playoff team & if they could use those two assets plus to bring in a good top 9 winger that would push them into playoff contention.
Unfortunately I don't think that Joseph is considered to be an "asset". You're likely going to have to pay to get him off of the payroll.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Unfortunately I don't think that Joseph is considered to be an "asset". You're likely going to have to pay to get him off of the payroll.
In my opinion you let Jospeh play and show what he has. We have seen him be much better for a short stint.

I would never trade him at a loss right now, he’s primed to rebound.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the general consensus is that Joseph is our worst contract up front.

To put his contract into perspective, at 2.95 AAV he is 199th in the NHL. There were a further 41 players in the league last season that played 40 or more games on ELC contracts.

Between Joseph's 2.95 and 1.0, there's another 100 guys. Anyone below 1.0 is either barely in the NHL or on an ELC.

He had a bad year going on and off the DL a few times. He's not a bad player and his contract isn't outrageous

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the general consensus is that Joseph is our worst contract up front.

To put his contract into perspective, at 2.95 AAV he is 199th in the NHL. There were a further 41 players in the league last season that played 40 or more games on ELC contracts.

Between Joseph's 2.95 and 1.0, there's another 100 guys. Anyone below 1.0 is either barely in the NHL or on an ELC.

He had a bad year going on and off the DL a few times. He's not a bad player and his contract isn't outrageous

Imagine if Batherson had been paid in accordance with what he'd delivered two seasons ago....

He's lucky in a way that he's such a bargain because he stunk in 2022-2023.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Imagine if Batherson had been paid in accordance with what he'd delivered two seasons ago....

He's lucky in a way that he's such a bargain because he stunk in 2022-2023.
I think the whole depth discussion gets a bit overblown

How does our top 6 / top 4 / 1 g compare to other teams. Leaving salary out of it, I think comparatively we're in decent shape. Bring salary into it, and we're paying less for that than many other teams.

What's left fills out depth. We've got some dead cap, but most teams do. Idk, sure we've got some depth questions but so do most teams. Our depth is mostly young and improving as opposed to on the downside and stepping back. Hopefully they collectively take a step forward

Last year, Boston iced a 90+ m team in an 82 cap world because Bergeron and Krecji played for peanuts (they're paying for it this year though) And 2 of the past 3 cup winners iced playoff rosters way over the cap. The playoff thing should be fixed imo, meaning you have to ice a cap compliant playoff roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad