Value of: Getting Matt Murray out of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Matt Murray is owed a lot of money this year.

Nobody is going to buy a draft pick for $8M. It's not a good business practice and there are very few owners who will fork out that kind of money for a draft pick in the mid to late 20s. Not to mention the team actually has to HAVE CAP SPACE and I don't see a single potential partner out there other than MAYBE Chicago. That's about it.

I am convinced it's LTIR.
I wonder if there's something savvy they could work with Arizona or Chicago.

How can Toronto take a high salary low cap, and Arizona/Chicago take on low salary - high cap? (There's gotta be something that works out for all - do your magic Pridham)

Taylor Hall not included?
It doesn't really fit my narrative! Lol

Reactions: Erndog

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
To clarify are you saying the leafs should keep their pick and take the 2M penalty or value the cap space and sell out their pick to drop Murray?
Keep the pick , buy him out and live with the penalty next year with a larger cap to play with . Unless he can be dealt for something reasonable ( ie 3 rd plus decent prospect or something along those lines ) . Giving up a 1 st when there are other less costly solutions would be madness .

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
With how much Toronto is over every team can take advantage of Toronto.

Nobody will want Murray, they’d want to trade for the quality players so good look with making it worth it for team accepting to take Murray
I agree with what you say, but, I really don't like Toronto, so I figure they will get out of this without having to pay much because I would love them to have to bleed first round picks. That would be nice, therefore, unlikely. Not a rational thought process, just realistically experiential...

The only positive in this is that Chuck Fletcher isn't around anymore to help the Leafs. He'd trade our own 2nd round pick plus Carter Hart with money retained for Murray. He'd also probably throw in a 3rd rounder just because the Leafs could use more picks and Fletcher loves to help other teams.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If he's healthy, the Leafs will retain 33% to get the payable down to 4m, the cap hit down to 3m'ish, and then there will be plenty of teams that will take a stab on a goalie at that price if he's coming with a 3rd round pick or a prospect attached.

If he's not healthy, he's on the SS Lupul towards Robidas Island.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
It cost the Islanders a future 2nd rounder to get out of Bailey's deal and Murray makes about the same with the same term. That's probably going to be the cost to get out of his deal as well.
But Bailey was owed only 3.5M real money and could be bought out to make the real money even smaller.

Murray is owed 8M real money for next season, or 6M after what Ottawa is on the hook for, and he can't be bought out. That's a huge difference. It's closer to Marleau than Bailey. Good luck finding an owner willing to pay 6M for a 2nd rounder. Plus he has a 10 team NTC to make things even more challenging.

Zaitsev cost 2nd and 4th, and that was a similar cap hit but ~1M less in real money (spread over 1½ seasons). So logic dictates that dumping Murray would cost more than that. Since Leafs don't have any 2nd rounders in the next 3 drafts, I think the 2024 1st is going to be needed here. Leafs will probably get a pick back too, maybe a 3rd or something.

For example, Murray and top 15 protected 2024 1st to Montreal for 2024 3rd (the one they just got from Washington).

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
What's Murray owed in real money if he were bought out by another team?

2.6M salary for 2 yrs?

Isles paid a future 2nd For 3.5M
So a 2nd + 3rd For 5.3M real dollars?
Or let's say Robertson + 2nd or Voit/Hirvonen + 3rd ?

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
What's Murray owed in real money if he were bought out by another team?

2.6M salary for 2 yrs?

Isles paid a future 2nd For 3.5M
So a 2nd + 3rd For 5.3M real dollars?
Or let's say Robertson + 2nd or Voit/Hirvonen + 3rd ?
I’m pretty sure he’s owed 8 million this year, leaf’s only option I believe is a buy out

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I’m pretty sure he’s owed 8 million this year, leaf’s only option I believe is a buy out
There are other options. It all depends on the cost. Buyout seems to be the most proactive. Waiting for injury seems to be the least.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Buyout, first, or one of Minten/Niemela/ and a pick of some sort are the realistic options. No team with the room to take the full 4.7 million cap hit with a 6 million pricetag attached to it is doing that for a 3rd or even a likely late 2nd 4 drafts out.

I would think Arz is out as they play in front of 4600 people and I can not imagine are interested in 6 million to buy a pick...even a late 1st until there is clarity on an arena that resolves their current revenue shortcomings. That leaves, Anaheim, Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, & maybe Nashville as teams with the capspace to absorb 4.7. Problem is those teams are all fairly set with goaltenders so unlike where Mrazek actually filled a roster hole, Murray addition creates gluts that then would need resolving. MUrray also has a NMC that probably eliminates half those options.

Buyout is the most likely option. The only reason it might not end is a buyout is that it is really strange it would not have occurred in the first window if that was the actual plan.

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Buyout, first, or one of Minten/Niemela/ and a pick of some sort are the realistic options. No team with the room to take the full 4.7 million cap hit with a 6 million pricetag attached to it is doing that for a 3rd or even a likely late 2nd 4 drafts out.

I would think Arz is out as they play in front of 4600 people and I can not imagine are interested in 6 million to buy a pick...even a late 1st until there is clarity on an arena that resolves their current revenue shortcomings. That leaves, Anaheim, Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, & maybe Nashville as teams with the capspace to absorb 4.7. Problem is those teams are all fairly set with goaltenders so unlike where Mrazek actually filled a roster hole, Murray addition creates gluts that then would need resolving. MUrray also has a NMC that probably eliminates half those options.

Buyout is the most likely option. The only reason it might not end is a buyout is that it is really strange it would not have occurred in the first window if that was the actual plan.

Likely keeping him around to have a little leverage over samsonov in contract talks. I think he is all but bought out when Samsonov files for arbitration.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Can only buy out if the leafs are taking someone to arbitration. The other buyout window is now closed. As of now, the leafs have no one scheduled for arbitration.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think it won't take more than a second. Maybe less. I can't see why Anaheim isn't the ones to do it. They need a goalie anyway, and have tons of cap space. heck, they aren't even at the floor yet.
He will get paid 8M next year. It's a high cost tp pay for only a 2nd.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With how much Toronto is over every team can take advantage of Toronto.

Nobody will want Murray, they’d want to trade for the quality players so good look with making it worth it for team accepting to take Murray
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.55.11 AM.png

I think this was the last team that got taken advantage of because of this.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Minten/Nemela are not realistic options. A second buyout period is the best time to buy him out if they choose to do so. Murray doesn't have NMC he has a 10 team no trade clause.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Minten/Nemela are not realistic options. A second buyout period is the best time to buy him out if they choose to do so. Murray doesn't have NMC he has a 10 team no trade clause.
Second buyout window only comes into play if Samsonov goes to arbitration, which could be the play.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
3rd and a 6th was the cost to dump 2 years.

Can't be higher than that for 1 year. Worst case a buyout solves the problem this year
yeah but leafs so hf wants knies and if you say a thing else you get the laugh like .. *dx chops hf main boards*

he will get moved relatively easy and for not much..

See above... Nailed it!!!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
yeah but leafs so hf wants knies and if you say a thing else you get the laugh like .. *dx chops hf main boards*

he will get moved relatively easy and for not much..

See above... Nailed it!!!
What’s your prediction if not much.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean you don't even have to go that far back to see what happened the last time the Leafs needed to be bailed out of a back contract when they were in a cap crunch....

View attachment 725732

That 1st rounder turned into Seth Jarvis
ah okay, leave out the context of it... Marleau was a dump to buyout... a little different.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Knowing Murray? Getting out of the wrong side of bed should just about do the trick and send him on a 5 month rehab stint
Treliving won't bank on LTIR. Not after he was healthy enough to finish the season (in the playoffs). It would be a red flag to the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad