Value of: Getting Matt Murray out of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
To :hawks
G Matt Murray (1 x $4,687,500)
Leafs 2026 1st

To :leafs
G Jaxson Stauber (1 x $883,750)
Hawks 2026 3rd

Hawks take on Murray and his cost ($6M) and upgrade a 3rd into a 1st in process

Leafs downgrade from 1st in 2026 to 3rd but clear Murray cap and actual costs. Stauber can play in AHL or ECHL and has a little NHL experience if needed (He went 5-1 with 2.81 GAA and .911 sv pct for Hawks this past year)

Hawks 2026 1st round pick is very lonely and needs a friend

View attachment 725669
They only had to drop 13 spots to move Mrazek. Murray has a similar recent injury history, is a better goalie, and is owed about the same amount of money (higher cap hit, but only one year instead of two). I don't see why the cost would be that much higher for Murray.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
To :hawks
G Matt Murray (1 x $4,687,500)
Leafs 2026 1st

To :leafs
G Jaxson Stauber (1 x $883,750)
Hawks 2026 3rd

Hawks take on Murray and his cost ($6M) and upgrade a 3rd into a 1st in process

Leafs downgrade from 1st in 2026 to 3rd but clear Murray cap and actual costs. Stauber can play in AHL or ECHL and has a little NHL experience if needed (He went 5-1 with 2.81 GAA and .911 sv pct for Hawks this past year)

Hawks 2026 1st round pick is very lonely and needs a friend

View attachment 725669

This is a very possible scenario. Concern is ownership has probably spent a lot of money in a rebuild on building draft capital are they ready for more? Technically it feels a need in Chicago but they can acquire cheaper options to fill it as well

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Chicago threw away 8m + a pick for Perry + Foligno. Not saying they'll take Murray for nothing or that he holds more value than CP and NF ; but I highly doubt a team has any barrel they're holding the Leafs over.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
They can create a buyout window. Other GMs can see that
What's the cap cost? Leafs need to drop his entire cap IMO, especially since the Leafs still need to get rid of more players beyond just Murray to fit in their new additions, and Samsonov.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Tre is backed against a wall with his signings. Other GMs definitely see this. Murray will likely cost something like two 2nds to drop, at least.
I think it is much more likely that there are a couple of shoes yet to drop for the Leafs. I suspect he has something lined up for Murray, either a buy out, a trade with sweetener, or a trade with retention (and sweetener).

I don't think NHL GMs make a bunch of signings without a plan and then find themselves cornered. For example, the Domi signing could have waited given the circumstances if announcing it was going to make BT cornered.

I also suspect that Nylander either signs a team friendly extension or he is moved for someone with term making less money than he does.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What's the cap cost? Leafs need to drop his entire cap IMO, especially since the Leafs still need to get rid of more players beyond just Murray to fit in their new additions, and Samsonov.

Murray currently has a caphit of 4.68 in 2023.

If they buy him out. He has a hit of 0.68K in 2023 so 4M in relief but 2M cap hit in 2024 so a 2M penalty next year when the cap rises.

The question now becomes are they willing to get rid of a 1st rounder to save themselves from a 2M penalty next year the cap will go up by 5 so they will still see a 3M increase there.

Another thing to look at is Pierre Dorion was trying to move this contract all of last year so GMs are already on high alert especially since the injury and consistency concerns are even more baked in now and its less of a gamble that Murray is shit.

Just buy him out Toronto.... plz Sens need cap relief too.

Reactions: SensontheRush

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Capfriendly says the Leafs carry 750k this year and 2m next, I think.

Maybe, next yr hit is worth it? It would most definitely create a squeeze... with AM and WN (potential) extensions. But it would get us outa the issue this year... rather than getting "backed into a corner" for high draft picks.

At which point Muzzin LTIR is off the books and a potential cap raise.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
These types of threads are rarely productive.

He’ll be moved. Not sure what it will cost. Everyone in this thread is just going to say what they want to hear.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
These types of threads are rarely productive.

He’ll be moved. Not sure what it will cost. Everyone in this thread is just going to say what they want to hear.
Some will while others will give options.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Matt Murray is owed a lot of money this year.

Nobody is going to buy a draft pick for $8M. It's not a good business practice and there are very few owners who will fork out that kind of money for a draft pick in the mid to late 20s. Not to mention the team actually has to HAVE CAP SPACE and I don't see a single potential partner out there other than MAYBE Chicago. That's about it.

I am convinced it's LTIR.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
They’re not trading nylander++ for 33yo karlsson @ 11.5x4. Go to sleep
Forgot the part where he was crap for 2 years. Getting worst than a 1st for Edmundson and a 1st++ for Price. I predict Nylander returns more than Karlsson and I am not even close to be a TML fan.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Murray currently has a caphit of 4.68 in 2023.

If they buy him out. He has a hit of 0.68K in 2023 so 4M in relief but 2M cap hit in 2024 so a 2M penalty next year when the cap rises.

The question now becomes are they willing to get rid of a 1st rounder to save themselves from a 2M penalty next year the cap will go up by 5 so they will still see a 3M increase there.

Another thing to look at is Pierre Dorion was trying to move this contract all of last year so GMs are already on high alert especially since the injury and consistency concerns are even more baked in now and its less of a gamble that Murray is shit.

Just buy him out Toronto.... plz Sens need cap relief too.
That’s a very easy answer . 1st round pic over 2 million in cap penalties value wise every day of the week . Cap may rise as much as 7 next season ; Toronto can make it work at 5 .

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
That’s a very easy answer . 1st round pic over 2 million in cap penalties value wise every day of the week . Cap may rise as much as 7 next season ; Toronto can make it work at 5 .
To clarify are you saying the leafs should keep their pick and take the 2M penalty or value the cap space and sell out their pick to drop Murray?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad