Value of: Getting Matt Murray out of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We can’t have that 2M cap hit next season.

Sure they can. It’s actually pretty easy to fit a good roster in. Even IF you signed Matthews for 13.5. Nylander for 9.5 and Sammy for 4. Plus a 2 million cap hit

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And the Leafs can just buy him out. Oh wow over such a barrel the Leafs are!
They can only buy him out if they have an arbitration case that opens the 48hr buyout window. Perhaps Samsonov will request arbitration if he hasn't already. There is no gaureenteed second window.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
It would probably cost you a 2nd but I doubt anyone will take one 3 years off, so equivalent value...a 3rd and a 5th? 3rd & 4th? A prospect not named Knies?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
3rd and a 6th was the cost to dump 2 years.

Can't be higher than that for 1 year. Worst case a buyout solves the problem this year

GM’s are almost obligated to help bail other GM’s out of situations like this if they are able.

Any GM could find themselves in a position to need a cap favor at any time, so it is always in a GM’s best interest to help now and receive their own help later.

GM’s in the NHL aren’t cutthroat at all around the cap, they are always bailing each other out.

I’m starting to just trying to ignore the cap. It never really matters, things get done, games get played

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Dude... No.

Murray has zero positive value at any cap hit. Sens fans were SHOCKED Toronto took him at all. No other GM is making that mistake without at least a 2nd round pick (or equivalent) coming back as a sweetener.

If he was a UFA his phone would have rang 2-3 times and at least one of those calls would have been a wrong number calling about the other Matt Murray.
Except he was traded to Buffalo prior to going to Leafs ( he squashed it ) so there was other interest . Not too far fetched to think a year later with one year less term that there might be takers . Failing that they can easily make it work via buyout ( handling the 2 million dead cap next year is doable w rising cap ) . No 1 st will be harmed .

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Except he was traded to Buffalo prior to going to Leafs ( he squashed it ) so there was other interest . Not too far fetched to think a year later with one year less term that there might be takers . Failing that they can easily make it work via buyout ( handling the 2 million dead cap next year is doable w rising cap ) . No 1 st will be harmed .
Buffalo was interested in trading up from 16 to 7. Murray was how they would do it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We will know if there is a buyout option byThursday at 5:00pm. I assume Treliving plans on LTIR for Murray but I doubt Murray will be on board.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
We will know if there is a buyout option byThursday at 5:00pm. I assume Treliving plans on LTIR for Murray but I doubt Murray will be on board.

That matters the most. You can't put players on LTIR against their will.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Murray's salary this year is a whopping 8M, even if his cap hit is only around 5M.

They must already have a trade or trades in place.

Probably have to trade Murray with Nylander at a discount or trade Murray with a future first to get Murray off the books.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
NTC likely isn’t a factor if Murray knows it’s accept a trade or be bought out.

A buyout will cost him 2.65 in real money lost. He likely won’t get that in a contract in the open market.

This also makes me believe that Murray won’t hold positive value at 50% retention

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To :hawks
G Matt Murray (1 x $4,687,500)
Leafs 2026 1st

To :leafs
G Jaxson Stauber (1 x $883,750)
Hawks 2026 3rd

Hawks take on Murray and his cost ($6M) and upgrade a 3rd into a 1st in process

Leafs downgrade from 1st in 2026 to 3rd but clear Murray cap and actual costs. Stauber can play in AHL or ECHL and has a little NHL experience if needed (He went 5-1 with 2.81 GAA and .911 sv pct for Hawks this past year)

Hawks 2026 1st round pick is very lonely and needs a friend

1688393239603.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad