Value of: Getting Matt Murray out of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yes, the leafs have options to either trade at a cost or, if you go to arbitration, buy out the nasty cap hit left by this awful deal done just a few months ago for a player that was almost unanimously flagged as being an excessive injury risk. The minority voice was Leaf fans with blinders on. Yes, you have options to deal with that.
Not sure that’s accurate . Most fans didn’t love the initial deal /ironically thought there should be more incentive included in draft capital .

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I feel like any goalie in his 30s could have something in their physical that a team could be like "tadaa!". I'm really curious what the actual process is like. Like could a team doctor doing a physical request an MRI say "man, that meniscus looks a little beat up" and, voila, LTIR (call this "medically cleared/not cleared to play") or does the player need to be like "I feel pain here" and doctor validates. I'm just curious how much of it is player or team driven. Like is it as simple as player=good that the actual skateblade in their skull is just part of the game and if player=bad the day to day wear and tear of NHL hockey can in theory justify LTIR.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
yes and i said they traded their 1st..#fact
LOL, they traded the 1st and Murray for a 2nd.

You can spin it however you like but they didn’t trade the 1st to just move Murray.
you stated a half truth.
When you discuss trades with people do you purposely ignore part of the return?

And for the record, I’m not a Leaf fan.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
LOL, they traded the 1st and Murray for a 2nd.

You can spin it however you like but they didn’t trade the 1st to just move Murray.
you stated a half truth.
When you discuss trades with people do you purposely ignore part of the return?

And for the record, I’m not a Leaf fan.
Learn how to read...LOL

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal likely out, they just signed an AHL goalie, if the plan was to trade for Murray and bury him, they'd have waited...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I feel like any goalie in his 30s could have something in their physical that a team could be like "tadaa!". I'm really curious what the actual process is like. Like could a team doctor doing a physical request an MRI say "man, that meniscus looks a little beat up" and, voila, LTIR (call this "medically cleared/not cleared to play") or does the player need to be like "I feel pain here" and doctor validates. I'm just curious how much of it is player or team driven. Like is it as simple as player=good that the actual skateblade in their skull is just part of the game and if player=bad the day to day wear and tear of NHL hockey can in theory justify LTIR.

Concussion LTIR are usually doctor driven.

Players in their mid 30's are more likely to agree with doctors that its time to call it quits where as younger players know it threatens their earning potential more to lose out on so much remaining career.

Murray will likely not want to sit out the season as a 29 year old goalie. As a pro athlete he likely believes he can turn his career around and get another contract. If the leafs try it, it will be very obvious and the league will get involved, especially considering Murray finished the season healthy.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Habs second would be more in line considering mrazek is worse & had more term and money owed when they moved 25
and him for 38 last year.
Murray + 24 1st for habs 2nd and maybe a 5-7th considering there’s a chance the habs could win big here if the leafs bomb
Pass. Montreal isn’t doing Toronto any favours. And they’re not dealing with a goaltending 3 headed Monster just to move up a few spots in the draft

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
And the Leafs can just buy him out. Oh wow over such a barrel the Leafs are!
Do the leafs have any players who elected arbitration? If not they don’t get the second buyout window (so they won’t be able to buy out Murray)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It cost the Islanders a future 2nd rounder to get out of Bailey's deal and Murray makes about the same with the same term. That's probably going to be the cost to get out of his deal as well.

Josh Bailey was owed 3.5 mil this season prior to being bought out. Murray is owed 8 mil this season (6 mil from the Leafs). That amount of salary has almost always cost a 1st to move.

I'm guessing Murray gets bought out after they take Samsonov to arbitration, the question is what else Toronto does because they probably need to clear more salary.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
NHLPA can ask for a 2nd 3rd party doctor evaluation. It's part of the CBA. Of course, even then, who knows what will happen. The league should enforce this LTIR process better if they want true team parity.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
NHLPA can ask for a 2nd 3rd party doctor evaluation. It's part of the CBA. Of course, even then, who knows what will happen. The league should enforce this LTIR process better if they want true team parity.
Yeah, and I'm not advocating for taking away Murray's chance to play, I'm just curious about the logistics because I'm sure no goaltender who played a bunch of games has "normal hips" or "normal knees", especially a guy like Murray who has had a lot of injuries. LTIR is such a grey area ripe for abuse/exploitation. I personally imagine every NHL physical is basically variations on that scene from The Dark Knight Rises where Bruce sees the doctor to get his blessing to go cave diving or whatever.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
No I am not. I think Samsonov or the team will trigger a second buyout period. That doesn't bend any rules.
Samsonov’s agent should use this to force a favourable deal for his client lol. Pay up or we accept the qualifying offer and kill your chance at a second buyout period.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No I am not. I think Samsonov or the team will trigger a second buyout period. That doesn't bend any rules.
They don't have much time to do that. I guess we/they will find out real soon.
  • Club Elected Salary Arbitration eligibility (second window):
    • Club electing for Arbitration in the second window must do so in writing between July 5th at 5:00pm ET & July 6th at 5:00pm ET [CBA Section 12.4(b)]
      • For the 2023 off-season, the deadline has returned to the usual rules as outlined above

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Samsonov’s agent should use this to force a favourable deal for his client lol. Pay up or we accept the qualifying offer and kill your chance at a second buyout period.
Yeah, the Leafs would get Samsonov for 1.8M for a year.

They don't have much time to do that. I guess we/they will find out real soon.
  • Club Elected Salary Arbitration eligibility (second window):
    • Club electing for Arbitration in the second window must do so in writing between July 5th at 5:00pm ET & July 6th at 5:00pm ET [CBA Section 12.4(b)]
      • For the 2023 off-season, the deadline has returned to the usual rules as outlined above
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Yeah, the Leafs would get Samsonov for 1.8M for a year.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in the thread.
Yeah it’s a calculated risk. Is it worth it to the Leafs to play chicken with him and lose the buyout window?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad