OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 3 - Read OP before posting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This sounds completely unsustainable. Imagine if a large number of people are completely wiped out and declare bankruptcy as a result. Aside from their own misfortune it will ripple outward into other sectors.
Right?! Theoretically an area like Fort Meyer could get wiped out again soon and those homes are all a loss….no recovery via insurance. Somebody gets to purchase and redevelop them all eventually as well.

That said, hopefully all those homes are in updated hurricane strength housing now….. I saw one recently replaced house in a neighborhood of older homes….heck….water damage and landscaping…..other than that, the house held in that last storm while everything crumbled around it….

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I was just talking to a coworker about this earlier this week who lives in Florida. They had a tree fall on their roof during a recent storm and aren’t filing a claim because they’re afraid their insurance company will either double their rates or cancel their coverage. She said their rates have tripled in the last few years and the only thing they’re protected for now is fire damage. No water, wind, or other natural disaster coverage. I don’t see how this situation lasts. Aside from climate change, Florida is also ground zero for insurance scams. Whenever I am there I am always shocked at how many billboards there are for property or injury lawyers. I’ve seen more of those on one trip from the Orlando airport to Disney World than I have in the rest of my life combined.
I believe there are areas in Long Island where NY in their 30 planning know are done for and are not going to do anything for the infrastructure.

I know people love the coasts down their in the gulf/eastern seaboard but man unless I could build 200mph hurricane/flood proof dwelling with six tesla walls and some hurricane wind proof solar panels I just don't get it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People forget, a lot of south Florida was largely undeveloped until 40, 50, or 60 years ago. Maybe for a reason.

1687986105514.png

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
This sounds completely unsustainable.
Just like the entire housing system in this country. Probably actually a lot of systems in this country. Just a house of matchsticks seemingly soaked in gasoline just waiting for an ember.

Man, if the Fed didn't mandate I live in X counties I'd have moved my ass to some rural state with Google Fiber ages ago.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just like the entire housing system in this country. Probably actually a lot of systems in this country. Just a house of matchsticks seemingly soaked in gasoline just waiting for an ember.

Man, if the Fed didn't mandate I live in X counties I'd have moved my ass to some rural state with Google Fiber ages ago.
The housing market is due to greed, not risk. But really in this case risk and greed are synonymous since the insurance agencies want to transfer the risk away from themselves and back onto the paying customer. Insurance is a complete scam.

But since I’ve already started going down this rabbit hole, here are a few reasons why housing sucks in this country.

1. Airbnb and other hosting companies have snatched up too many homes… they’re no longer the “stay with a friend as you travel” service like they were created to be. Now they’re just shittier hotels that make you clean up after yourself.
2. Institutional money has poured into the residential real estate market for a few reasons. One, they bet big on a Covid rebound. Two, they looked to diversify away from capital markets as the bull run came to an end.
3. “Warehousing units” has become popular with landlords trying to recoup Covid costs. They’ve found that not renting out units in their buildings and charging 50% more per available unit is more profitable than being at full capacity because the costs are reduced. This is a huge reason why rents in cities are skyrocketing even though people are leaving them. When they tell you their buildings are completely booked, they’re lying. They’re creating artificial demand by decreasing supply and winning on margin.
4. Interest rates. People who locked in at 2-3% interest aren’t going to sell a house and pay 6-8% for a new one. It creates a shortage of both buyers and sellers.
5. We collectively hate poor people and no one wants affordable housing units built in their communities because gawd forbid the value of their homes decrease with all the riffraff moving in.

Generally speaking though, you are right. Our system is a system of haves and have-nots and the lawmakers are bought and paid for by the haves. Welcome to end-stage capitalism where the few exploit the many and tell everyone else to be thankful for the scraps.

Reactions: usiel and HeyMattyB

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Airbnb and other hosting companies have snatched up too many homes… they’re no longer the “stay with a friend as you travel” service like they were created to be. Now they’re just shittier hotels that make you clean up after yourself.
Yeah, I saw this earlier on twitter.

1687989442828.png

Getting too into it just makes me want to blow my brains out so I try to stay away but I fail more often then not. Even when I try to take emotion out of it an think of it strictly pragmatically I don't know what will/or should happen but it feels we've got to be close to a tipping point.

Like, I got a good job, I work for the federal government (hence me bitching about locality pay) so an actual eventual pension and investment fund, full remote work, and housing prices are still basically out of reach.

I feel like there's got to be some exponential growth tax on owning multiple properties. But that'd never happen because the people who make the laws own multiple properties and it'd "tank" the investment of a house. I just don't understand how we can have a society were the main vehicle for wealth is in your home while making homelessness illegal.

All the while I'm reminded of my Parent's buying a house in Woodbridge on the states streets for like 130k, selling it for 220k. Moving to Stafford in a nice big house for 200k. The Woodbridge home is now north of 400k and the Stafford home is north of 600k. Hell, the boomer luck never ends when my mom and aunt went in-together and bought a lake house down in North Carolina for like 200 something. That just tax valued at almost a million dollars. There's literally nothing around it, it's a lake with one grocery store and 2 ABC stores. Just wild.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The problem is not "late stage capitalism" because there is no such thing -- it's a trendy phrase based on wishful thinking and apocalyptic dooming that seems real because it's loosely based on actual wealth inequality.

The problem IS the 50 year push toward total deregulation and laissez faire capitalism due to disingenuous strongarm tactics by corporate raiders and libertarian think tanks, all of whom not-coincidentally seek to weaken the only thing that can possibly put a stop to their monopolization and Smaug-like hoarding: a strong central government that's willing to undo the last half-century of economic scale-tipping.

It's not happening any time soon, though. There's too much f***ery aboot.

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Being 54 guess some time to see how the housing market plays out. Been thinking missed the boat pre-covid housing prices but with my Dad's increasing health issues and attempting to age in place takes some decent management. Still annoying places that are going 150k higher three later for basicaslly no real reason a tough pill.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I got caught in bad weather in the Indian Ocean on one of my deployments. We had swells with waves crashing over the bow and our bridge was 80 feet over the waterline. Very unnerving sight to see the front of your ship go under water. Never f*** with water, it always wins eventually.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m have very good sea legs, but I wonder how fast my heart would be going…..Are you strapped in at this point?
No but movement about the ship was restricted and the gym was closed. The Marines were pissed about that. Nobody is allowed outside, no air operations, the crew is on high alert for General Quarters, more compartments are sealed with watertight doors than normal, etc.

You pretty much just drive through it. Keep the bow of the ship pointed at the waves and never perpendicular to them and haul ass to calmer seas. Our ship was close to 700 feet long so it’s not like the scene from Wolf of Wall Street when they’re going through “a little chop.”

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Don’t ignore the hazard flags….

Yeah, strong swimmers delight in thinking they can handle big water, but the best swimmers know how dangerous it is. Anyone who's spent lots of time swimming in the ocean has likely had that, "Holy shit, I'm giving it everything I've got and I'm going backwards!" moment.

Lucky for me, I had that other moment in the ocean. That moment where you realize that, oh, there are enormous prehistoric monsters in here, and they can pop up whenever they want. Dinosaurs, basically. Like, a "Jurassic Park is basically real!" kind of moment. Then I got a Fastlane and don't f*** with the ocean anymore, lol.

In other news, I got a steal of a deal on a perfect house in Florida 3 years ago before the market went apeshit. My insurance premium is really great. And now, thanks to you guys, I'm f***ing terrified to ever make a claim. Thanks, fellas. ;)

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know if there are any old 1990s post-hardcore/post-punk music fans in here, but Rick Froberg (Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes, Obits, Pitchfork) passed away.

When I first starting getting into post-punk/post-hardcore in high-school in the mid-90s, "Luau" was on the very first mix tape someone gave me. That band became one of the building blocks for how I understood and eventually wrote music. RIP. This one really hurts.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Still disappointed I forgot to bring a tablet full of SpongeBob and Gordon ramsay and Disney movies for a 10 hour bus trip

It's still doable but I have so many podcasts to listen to it's not the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad