OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 3 - Read OP before posting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1685544134417.png

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!

Reactions: max21

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Did the bumperboards croak? Been getting nothing but “server doesn’t exist” or something message.

Not being able to interact with the nobility on its 3rd forum has me in the throes of withdrawal.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I forget who I was talking to about relocating to Florida because it’s supposedly cheaper to live there but yeah, the insurance situation down there is a mess.

I’ve been reading if Florida gets crushed with another hurricane anytime soon, the Insurance industry down there would implode..

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’ve been reading if Florida gets crushed with another hurricane anytime soon, the Insurance industry down there would implode..
It’s really bad. At least 12 casualty or property insurance companies in Florida have liquidated since 2018 and many others are either cancelling existing coverage and leaving the state or not approving any new policies. And with the climate changing it’s only going to get worse. With fewer options to choose from insurance rates will continue to skyrocket since the market has shifted dramatically away from the buyers (people looking for insurance) in favor of the sellers (insurance companies). It may get to a point where the government has to guarantee to back claims in Florida up to a certain dollar amount in order to entice insurance companies to continue operating there. Wouldn’t that be a spicy twist, Florida saved by the federal government.

Derpies

Jun 16, 2023
What as in the bumper boards, or what as in its 3rd forum.
No one misses hearing whatever was told on Tucker that night, but the forums being dead sucks. Hope it was not a grab the money and run thing based on the last state of the forums fund raiser update.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
No one misses hearing whatever was told on Tucker that night, but the forums being dead sucks. Hope it was not a grab the money and run thing based on the last state of the forums fund raiser update.
Yeah, some of the users definitely sent her some money to keep it running, but I don't how much was given.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Queens of the Stone Age just put out their first new album since 2017, In Times New Roman. Highly recommended, those guys never miss.

Never been much of a fan but the first single is especially terrible IMO. But whatever, to each his own…

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well shit, while we're doing that, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are at it again and went pretty firmly back to metal on this one. It's not my favorite of their genres but they really rip this one up, the way they borrow from the hooks of other tracks and weave their titles in the lyrics of other songs is pretty cool and makes the whole thing fascinating.

and this one's actually about lizards and wizar- wiccans at least, so... that took a while but finally happened

Nuggets like the riffs and mentions from this song @2:40+ coming back on this one:

and even that's laced to Supercell. Really like how they do things. The whole ride from Witchcraft to Gila Monster to Dragon is so fluid, love it.
and Gila Monster itself is so cheesy self-aware metal fodder

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalopsia

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can’t recall where we were discussing this @AlexBrovechkin8 …..homeowners insurance issue….

I was just talking to a coworker about this earlier this week who lives in Florida. They had a tree fall on their roof during a recent storm and aren’t filing a claim because they’re afraid their insurance company will either double their rates or cancel their coverage. She said their rates have tripled in the last few years and the only thing they’re protected for now is fire damage. No water, wind, or other natural disaster coverage. I don’t see how this situation lasts. Aside from climate change, Florida is also ground zero for insurance scams. Whenever I am there I am always shocked at how many billboards there are for property or injury lawyers. I’ve seen more of those on one trip from the Orlando airport to Disney World than I have in the rest of my life combined.

• Wow
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I was just talking to a coworker about this earlier this week who lives in Florida. They had a tree fall on their roof during a recent storm and aren’t filing a claim because they’re afraid their insurance company will either double their rates or cancel their coverage. She said their rates have tripled in the last few years and the only thing they’re protected for now is fire damage. No water, wind, or other natural disaster coverage. I don’t see how this situation lasts. Aside from climate change, Florida is also ground zero for insurance scams. Whenever I am there I am always shocked at how many billboards there are for property or injury lawyers. I’ve seen more of those on one trip from the Orlando airport to Disney World than I have in the rest of my life combined.

This sounds completely unsustainable. Imagine if a large number of people are completely wiped out and declare bankruptcy as a result. Aside from their own misfortune it will ripple outward into other sectors.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This sounds completely unsustainable. Imagine if a large number of people are completely wiped out and declare bankruptcy as a result. Aside from their own misfortune it will ripple outward into other sectors.

There's no way President Trump (or President DeSantis) will let this happen. They'll send federal aid in to make sure property owners in Florida are made whole. Sure, they might need to tighten Medicaid and give tax breaks to the rich in order to fund this, but the important people will be taken care of (BlackRock shareholders).

Reactions: Jags and Neil Racki

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There's no way President Trump (or President DeSantis) will let this happen. They'll send federal aid in to make sure property owners in Florida are made whole. Sure, they might need to tighten Medicaid and give tax breaks to the rich in order to fund this, but the important people will be taken care of (BlackRock shareholders).

This is pretty much the true end result. In California, some areas are uninsurable by regular insurance companies due to frequent fire hazards. So the state offers some barely affordable, limited coverage insurance that allows some people to get coverage that lets them to get a mortgage, but its basically taxpayer covered insurance to prevent some communities from becoming ghost towns.

The entire state of Florida and much of the Gulf Coast will be following suit soon. The laws of Capitalism require insurance companies to abandon high risk areas like Florida/California because eventually even inflated rates won't cover their losses. Then Mortgage companies will stop lending, which means middle class and poor people have to move and only a handful of super rich who can self-insure will remain, but without services from the working class that can't afford to live there anymore. * just reread the article and Florida is already doing the same "govt backed private insurance", with costs spiraling upward to unsustainable levels.

So without the government, either state or federal, stepping in to subsidize peoples lifestyle choices (I wanna live on the beach but I want someone else to take the risk), the states will crumble. It will be fun to see how the medium rich small government libertarian folks hold out their hands and demand that the government (again, state or fed) bail them out so they can continue living in luxury.

It should be noted that President Biden or Governor Newsome won't let it happen either. Government subsidies to the rich are hardly a partisan issue, even though both sides love to spin it that way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad