Proposal: Gardiner + Marner for Faulk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the difference between gardiner and faulk isnt marner.
leafs pass

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Marner for Hanifin is something I would consider. No interest in dealing Faulk with Marner being the main piece coming back. Maybe in a couple years if he proves himself.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Is he though? Obviously Matthews and Laine are ahead. I think Puljujarvi is as well. Then Provorov, Nylander, Strome and maybe even Werenski are debatably ahead of Marner, and that's just counting skaters.

so he is somewhere between 3rd-8th? thats still pretty elite.
and no, no goalies even come close to top 10

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
so he is somewhere between 3rd-8th? thats still pretty elite.
and no, no goalies even come close to top 10

My only issue was that he "is" the #4 most valuable prospect. I think that's a very optimistic valuation. I'd have him closer to #7 myself. That's all kind of pointless talk though, since rank has no real bearing on his value in this trade.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Is he though? Obviously Matthews and Laine are ahead. I think Puljujarvi is as well. Then Provorov, Nylander, Strome and maybe even Werenski are debatably ahead of Marner, and that's just counting skaters.

Marner separated himself from Strome this season, Leafs choose Marner over Haninfin and Provorov (Marner also humiliated Provorov during their head to head match up in the Memorial Cup blow out) and Werenski projects to be a top four. Not sure how these players rank ahead of Marner.

Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi, sure.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Marner separated himself from Strome this season, Leafs choose Marner over Haninfin and Provorov (Marner also humiliated Provorov during their head to head match up in the Memorial Cup blow out) and Werenski projects to be a top four. Not sure how these players rank ahead of Marner.

Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi, sure.

I'm not certain I'd take him over Strome. I'd definitely take Hanifin and Provorov ahead of him, and maybe even Werenski. Werenski has top pairing upside without a doubt, and #1D upside in my mind.

Reactions: The Mad Titan

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
I'm not certain I'd take him over Strome. I'd definitely take Hanifin and Provorov ahead of him, and maybe even Werenski. Werenski has top pairing upside without a doubt, and #1D upside in my mind.

This thread gives the context for what would the GM do, Leafs clearly privilege Marner over the defensemen.

Do some deeper reading on Werenski, he projects as good at everything but low offensive ceiling blueliner.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
He could be...but he's NOT. And for all we know, he DOESN'T end up there. You're trading for a proven thing, and a damn good one at that. Newsflash, right-handed defenseman are the single most valuable asset in the game right now. #1 RHD are a premium. The cost is more than a potential top-line player and a middle pairing defenseman.

I know he's not, thats what potential implies, trading for prospects is a gamble but blue chippers are still blue chippers and hes also just won every award in his league. There is nothing that shows he's going to fall off his trajectory. Its exactly why I wouldn't do this trade. To give up a potential top 5 winger and a very solid top 4 dman and then something additional doesn't make any sense for 1 player. I don't care if he's a #1 dman its overpaying. The Leafs are in no rush and are better off holding onto those pieces to see if it works out, and if it isn't enough for the Canes then so be it. I don't think either team would be willing to do this trade anyway.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
as a neutral habs fan i wouldnt be giving marner in any deals. i hate to say it because leaf fans will smile but that kid is kane 2.0 and not evander either.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
no from hurricanes. You dont trade a top pairing Dman for that package. Gardiner is top4 D whereas Marner is a prospect. Marner makes it more attractive but Gardiner as the main piece is absolutely horrid for Faulk. Canes pass

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Leafs run away with it. Canes refuse.

I don't think enough folks get it but a young top tier D man is worth significantly more than a #5ish prospect. Like double.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Looks okay for the canes. However I could see them only accepting a center as the main piece for faulk which would make this doa. Probably better for them to wait to see how Hanifin develops before trading faulk.

Its a bad move for the leafs. Rielly is promising enough that they shouldn't trade for a #1 dman given the cost. It is the type of value needed to get faulk which is why its really unlikely to ever happen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Its a bad move for the leafs. Rielly is promising enough that they shouldn't trade for a #1 dman given the cost.

Yes they should. Maybe not this year, but they're not likely to get far with only Rielly as a top tier D-man (if he becomes that).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Marner for Faulk would be closer to straight up equal value if Marner comes into the league and establishes himself as a 75 pt type of player.

Mr Hockey*

I would go Gardiner and a 1st > Faulk ... Leafs need Mitch for the cup :5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad