Proposal: Gardiner + Marner for Faulk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Is this a joke??? Carolina adds significantly to get even close to marner

Carolina adds significantly to a proven #1 d-man, in his prime, signed long term on an unreal contract? To get a prospect who hasn't set foot in the NHL yet?

Marner may be one of the best prospects in the world but take the homer glasses off. Marner could very well end up elite but he isn't there yet. Proven >>>>> potential.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
value is probably fair. lot's of question marks on Toronto's end of the deal though i'm not sure either team would do it.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
An elite defender would accelerate the rebuild. Having 2 top pairing defenders will create a solid foundation for a future contender and the cherry on top is having elite upside prospects in Nikita Zaitsev and Travis Dermott developing while Rielly + Faulk anchor the top pairing.

Do you really need to accelerate the rebuild? I'd rather get a top pick this year and keep Marner, then have Faulk and a later pick.

Just thinking that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander hit their primes at the same time (~5-6 year from now). At that time Faulk might one of those guys who we talk about as "Was really good, but man that contract is horrible." Or even close to becoming and anchor contract.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Carolina adds significantly to a proven #1 d-man, in his prime, signed long term on an unreal contract? To get a prospect who hasn't set foot in the NHL yet?

Marner may be one of the best prospects in the world but take the homer glasses off. Marner could very well end up elite but he isn't there yet. Proven >>>>> potential.

Not to mention with his size and struggles at the U20 level against his elite peers, there are still question marks.

Boom or bust is a real potential.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Do you really need to accelerate the rebuild? I'd rather get a top pick this year and keep Marner, then have Faulk and a later pick.

Just thinking that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander hit their primes at the same time (~5-6 year from now). At that time Faulk might one of those guys who we talk about as "Was really good, but man that contract is horrible." Or even close to becoming and anchor contract.

His contract will never be horrible, even he regresses alot.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
LOL Toronto definitely doesn't add anything else. Value is probably right but neither team would do this.

Faulk is a #1D. Gardiner is NOT a #2D. Marner is a highly-touted prospect, but one that hasn't played a single game in the NHL. I would expect Carolina would want more in the package going back to them.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Marners the 4th most valuable prospect in the world... Leafs would have a hard time making this trade.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Is this a joke??? Carolina adds significantly to get even close to marner

Your post is the biggest joke here. It's an utter farce that anyone could hold this perspective right now and actually be anything approaching serious. Faulk is a 24 year old, right handed, #1 defensman, capable of putting up 45-50 points, signed to a sweetheart contract of just 4.8 million until 2020. The idea that somehow a prospect who has never stepped foot into the NHL and is not pegged to be something truly special (e.g. McDavid) holds a lot more value is utterly insane. Toronto adds, a lot.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Faulk is a #1D. Gardiner is NOT a #2D. Marner is a highly-touted prospect, but one that hasn't played a single game in the NHL. I would expect Carolina would want more in the package going back to them.

Marner could be a top 5 RW in the future. Gardiner is a top 4 dman. Nobody trades blue chippers and goes, well they aren't really that valuable as its only potential. Newsflash, thats the chance you take when you trade for prospects. If we knew exactly how they'd turn out then adding Gardiner to this would be an overpayment.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Your post is the biggest joke here. It's an utter farce that anyone could hold this perspective right now and actually be anything approaching serious. Faulk is a 24 year old, right handed, #1 defensman, capable of putting up 45-50 points, signed to a sweetheart contract of just 4.8 million until 2020. The idea that somehow a prospect who has never stepped foot into the NHL and is not pegged to be something truly special (e.g. McDavid) holds a lot more value is utterly insane. Toronto adds, a lot.

Hes not pegged to be generational (obviously) but hes definitely pegged to be a top tier talent if he reaches his potential.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hes not pegged to be generational (obviously) but hes definitely pegged to be a top tier talent if he reaches his potential.

Might be. Still lots of questions, he has not looked that well against his best peers in international competition. Yes, he's looked great playing with a powerhouse London team. But he's anything but a sure thing.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

If he reaches that potential a conversation could be had that he would then be worth what Faulk is already worth now, and the massive "if" there is, "does he reach his near maximum potential?" It took Taylor Hall to get Adam Larsson, it took RyJo to get Seth Jones. Marner as it stands today does not get Faulk whatsoever...no prospect unless they look to be something truly special, as I said, gets what is basically one of the most difficult to acquire pieces in the league (a young #1 defensman signed to a nice contract). The idea that the Canes have to add a lot is just stupidity. It's a classic case of someone knowing next to nothing outside of their teams little world. Marner is no sure thing, and out of principle I would take a top defensman over a top winger with ease regardless. Taylor Hall was available this summer, and it doesn't appear teams were lining up even then with their top defenders to nab him.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

That's a huge if.

If he becomes an elite winger, Gaudreau/Hall level lets say, then the value would be close one for one. I'd probably still take Faulk due to position.

If he becomes anything less than that, say even an average 60 point top 6 winger, then Carolina loses the deal.

Carolina has no reason to trade Faulk short of an overpayment.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
That's a huge if.

If he becomes an elite winger, Gaudreau/Hall level lets say, then the value would be close one for one. I'd probably still take Faulk due to position.

If he becomes anything less than that, say even an average 60 point top 6 winger, then Carolina loses the deal.

Carolina has no reason to trade Faulk short of an overpayment.
And Toronto has no need to trade for Faulk, as it doesnt make sense to pay the reasonable cost for him, let alone the overpayment cost.

This is just what OP likes to do, put team a's (usually toronto) top prospect, highly touted prospect or somebody they are very high on in the organization for team b's best player. sit back and watch **** unfold.

Look at his history, he does this every damn day.

David Bondra

Apr 5, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Unless if they are getting like Drew Doughty, there is no way the Leafs will give up one of their three big prospects (Nylander, Marner, and Matthews)

varano

Jun 27, 2013

Marner forecasts as a Patrick kane esque player. Is that good enough for you ? Faulk carries a big load on a crappy team. Is he a number 1 on other teams? I don't think so. Is he a top 20 defencemen in the league. I'm going to say no to that too

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Marner forecasts as a Patrick kane esque player. Is that good enough for you ? Faulk carries a big load on a crappy team. Is he a number 1 on other teams? I don't think so. Is he a top 20 defencemen in the league. I'm going to say no to that too

If he carries a big load on a crappy team and excels at it, doesn't that make him better/more valuable than carrying a medium load on a good team and excelling?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
No deal. I wouldn't give up Marner alone for Faulk.

Leafs already have Rielly. There's no point in having two offensive minded #1D when there's only room for one of them to play on the PP.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If he carries a big load on a crappy team and excels at it, doesn't that make him better/more valuable than carrying a medium load on a good team and excelling?

Do you think he slots ahead of any teams true number one defenceman in this league? He's putting up fourty points as the guy. What happens when you put him on a team where he is isn't good enough to be the guy?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Do you think he slots ahead of any teams true number one defenceman in this league? He's putting up fourty points as the guy. What happens when you put him on a team where he is isn't good enough to be the guy?

Probably no teams in the NHL. Maybe he'd be good enough to be THE GUY on a bottom 5-10 AHL team though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

A Patrick Kane-esque player in that he plays a similiar style, or a Patrick Kane type player and level of player. You invoked the right name to grab attention, but if you think Marner realistically hits Kane's level and that's how you value him I'd say you're very far off of the mark right now. Marner did an impressive job this year in London in his Draft+1 year....Kane had ~30 more points in his draft year in London, and put up 72 points and won the Calder in the NHL in his Draft+1 year. Obviously I'm not saying all players develop at the same pace, but again, nobody in their right mind values Marner as Patrick Kane or expects that is what he will become.

Regarding Faulk, I don't see the relevance of anything you said. You're implying that the only way you would move Marner is if you're getting someone who is a #1 defensman on most teams around the league, on a good team, and is clearly top 20 in the league. At that point you're talking the Victor Hedman's of this league...which is even more laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad