Post-Game Talk: Game VI Pens loss to Stars: Our Stars can’t dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we get the 8th pick or something, just please let SJS have it. We're a top 3 team next year, at best.
That'd be a bit of a conundrum to be sure. My guess is a guy like Jake would bring a 1st plus a prospect and maybe more IF it's a sign and trade.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So, what's a realistic amount of rope for Sullivan? How bad does the record have to get?
I don't think it's so much a record - unless they lose 10 in a row or something - as it is an overall vibe check around Thanksgiving.

I think Dubas will continue to assess the team for the next month, evaluate the coaching, make a few moves around the fringes, and go from there.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
When you set aside any emotion. It's stupid easy to evaluate.

Coaching goes first. Then assess if this group can be a playoff team.

But we all know limping along with the same plan is going to result in this...

And for anyone concerned. Yes Sullivan is a fine coach. But he's dried up here, like every coach it's well expired. Bring in fresh air and people would be blown away how quickly things can change.

If it doesn't? At least you tried.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Reminder that if Karlsson didn't force his way out of SJ and to Pittsburgh, for essentially free, this team would have Granlund on their 3rd line and Petry on the blueline with all the same amorphous, grey blob that is the bottom-6.
At this point I'll take any kind of change and I've been one of the proponents of keeping Jake.

But im tired of watching this mess. Do whatever with it except for trading Sid/Geno/Letang (unless they ask out)
Shit, I'm fine with anybody leaving tbh. I'd rather watch Sid or Geno playing and enjoying themselves on a team with a legit shot at winning than watching them decay in a Pens sweater under Sully and with Jake's lame ass as their best supporting player. :laugh: 11 times out of 10
+ Top 10 Protected pick.
So the Pens will end up drafting 11th. :laugh:

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
Graves body of work this season is worse than anything done by Jack Johnson. If the team has any accountability, he will be scratched next game in place of an AHL defender
Whoa their chief, "worse than anything done by Jack Johnson"? Either I'm experiencing early onset Alzheimer's, or we have not watched the same team this last decade.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think they're drafting top-3 until Sid's gone, but yeah. If it's closer to 10 than 5 this year, give it to SJ imo.
We are perfectly capable of bottoming out while he's here. Especially if Letang is spazztastic and Geno's putting up his usual -2.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Ludvig making his NHL debut and then blowing himself up on a good hit and being out for weeks/months has to be just about the most "Penguin thing" ever. And now we have to put an inferior player back in the lineup.

Shea looked pretty good tonight, and we're going to need him to stay that way now. Graves looked terrible. EK, defensively, is slightly better than Graves.

Ned is not good at handling the puck or deciding when to come out of the net. That much was evident in his FIRST start for the Pens, not just tonight.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
That was DOC's best game of the season at least. They have no choice but to switch up the top 6 now.

For whatever reasons the pens just haven't capitalized on their chances at all. It's hard to watch, like you know they aren't going to catch a good break.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We are perfectly capable of bottoming out while he's here. Especially if Letang is spazztastic and Geno's putting up his usual -2.
Up until this game Geno was our best player by a wide margin. Maybe other guys need to pick it up a bit?

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Ned is not good at handling the puck or deciding when to come out of the net. That much was evident in his FIRST start for the Pens, not just tonight.
Ned just came from his worst season ever in Detroit, and DET got rid of him even he was adored there as a person - what Dubas saw in him I have no idea.

Reactions: farscape1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Something weird happened halfway through last year that put this team in this current situation, and I really don't understand it. In the first half of last year, the Penguins were the 9th best team in hockey based on point% and were generally good in terms of production (12th in 5v5 GF/60, 10th in all situations GF/60). Their bottom-6 was decently productive before January 1st:

-McGinn: 10 goals and 15 points in 36 games
-Kapanen: 5 goals and 15 points in 27 games
-Carter: 6 goals and 17 points in 33 games
-Blueger: 1 goal and 7 points in 21 games
-Heinen: 3 goals and 10 points in 31 games

In the first half of last year, the Penguins had 22 goals for and 28 goals against in 36 games without Crosby or Malkin on the ice. That's not anything special, but that's also not terrible whatsoever. Then January hit and the bottom-6 just entirely imploded. All of Carter (7 goals and 12 points in 46 games), McGinn (0 goals and 1 point in 24 games), Kapanen (2 goals and 5 points in 16 games) and Blueger (1 goal and 3 points in 24 games) fell off a cliff offensively and the bottom-6 started giving up even more goals. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Penguins had decent forward depth as recently as December 2022, I really don't understand how it has gotten so much worse so quickly.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Something weird happened halfway through last year that put this team in this current situation, and I really don't understand it. In the first half of last year, the Penguins were the 9th best team in hockey based on point% and were generally good in terms of production (12th in 5v5 GF/60, 10th in all situations GF/60). Their bottom-6 was decently productive before January 1st:

-McGinn: 10 goals and 15 points in 36 games
-Kapanen: 5 goals and 15 points in 27 games
-Carter: 6 goals and 17 points in 33 games
-Blueger: 1 goal and 7 points in 21 games
-Heinen: 3 goals and 10 points in 31 games

In the first half of last year, the Penguins had 22 goals for and 28 goals against in 36 games without Crosby or Malkin on the ice. That's not anything special, but that's also not terrible whatsoever. Then January hit and the bottom-6 just entirely imploded. All of Carter (7 goals and 12 points in 46 games), McGinn (0 goals and 1 point in 24 games), Kapanen (2 goals and 5 points in 16 games) and Blueger (1 goal and 3 points in 24 games) fell off a cliff offensively and the bottom-6 started giving up even more goals. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Penguins had decent forward depth as recently as December 2022, I really don't understand how it has gotten so much worse so quickly.

Weird innit

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Firtst HALF of the game I thought we were much the better team, we just didn't garner a big enough lead. I think the PP and our inability to get separation early on came back and bit us. Sadly, this is likely gonna be a common theme.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Geno's been better than Sid through half a dozen games. But yeah, overall agree that this team's teetering on the edge of some grisly shit. :laugh:

But we'll still get the dorks who are like "Oh boy, just you wait until the rebuild actually starts!" as if that's any kind of threat after watching this team full of big names play like it's a pre-season game for like 70-80% of the games in each of the previous few seasons.

Gimme the losses if it means actually rebuilding a contender. This shit's just spinning your tires in mud at this point, driven entirely by sentiment and a refusal to accept the reality that's been knocking their teeth out for years. Following the path of the Wings teams that couldn't let go, so they extended a half-decade rebuild to like a dozen years. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad