TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part V (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He wasn't killed, he was pretty much transofrmed with it and the dragon glass (Supposedly) just stayed inside his chest and the theory is thats why White walkers are weak to dragonglass. Which is...weird? But i'll take it.

Considering we literally saw the night king born in the last episode, I'm gonna go with no.

That was the first white walker no? Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (most likely a Stark). Brad wargs into him eventually

Future vs present Bran

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
All we know is the Night King is a First Man that the children drove a dragon glass dagger into his heart to make him the lead Walker. He could be a direct Stark ancestor, we really don't know at this point.

I still find it curious that a weapon made from fire created a monster of ice.

Speaking of dragon glass, I've always wondered why the Night's Watch hasn't gathered some up.

Didn't someone say that Dragonstone(iirc) had a ton of dragon glass?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Speaking of dragon glass, I've always wondered why the Night's Watch hasn't gathered some up.

They didn't know Walkers were weak against glass until Sam the Slayer accidentally killed one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Stannis mentioned he had some on Dragonstone. No idea who, if anyone actually controls Dragonstone (crown might of taken it back, who knows) and if the glass is still there.

It really isn't a great weapon either. Primitive spears and arrow heads are the extent of its use it seems. Doubt it would be an effective weapon to fight through the hordes of wights to even get to the walkers.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
That might be very plausible. That Bran himself started his journey.

We still need a reason for it all though. What importance is there to Bran's power that will change the war?

Crazy thought. What if Bran's purpose is to bring the Walkers south with their mark? Maybe the long night needs to happen or something to that effect and maybe they aren't as "evil" as we are being lead on?

IDK. I always saw them as a bit of a metaphor for the slow inevitability of death, but that's probably over-simplifying things too much. So far I'm not seeing much from them but "destroy all life," which I'd think is why The Wall needed to be built in the first place.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They didn't know Walkers were weak against glass until Sam the Slayer accidentally killed one.

Quite a bit of time has passed since then though, right?

With Stannis being at Castle Black, I feel like it should have come up. Maybe both sides were unaware of one needing it and the other having it though.

I don't remember who said Dragonstone has dragon glass or if Jon ever mentions it to Stannis.

Stannis mentioned he had some on Dragonstone. No idea who, if anyone actually controls Dragonstone (crown might of taken it back, who knows) and if the glass is still there.

It really isn't a great weapon either. Primitive spears and arrow heads are the extent of its use it seems. Doubt it would be an effective weapon to fight through the hordes of wights to even get to the walkers.

Good call. I never really considered that very few members of the Night's Watch would actually make it through the wights to fight the WWs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
IDK. I always saw them as a bit of a metaphor for the slow inevitability of death, but that's probably over-simplifying things too much. So far I'm not seeing much from them but "destroy all life," which I'd think is why The Wall needed to be built in the first place.

Well they represent winter. Maybe this long winter has to happen so a better spring can follow? Bit cheesy I admit but I don't know if it is that far-fetched.

I'm really buying the idea that this mark Bran got will play into how they get south of the wall.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well they represent winter. Maybe this long winter has to happen so a better spring can follow? Bit cheesy I admit but I don't know if it is that far-fetched.

I'm really buying the idea that this mark Bran got will play into how they get south of the wall.

Yeah -- I'm just going off what we've seen from the story so far. I'd tend to lean towards a more pessimistic than optimistic finish when it's all said and done. :laugh: But to me the Walkers just seem like a "We need to create this thing to kill Men because we are getting killed, oh wait, no, it's just killing all living beings now, whoops" kinda thing. At least that's what I'm sticking with until more information is revealed.

And yeah, I think whoever posited that was spot on. The mark was enough to remove the magic from the tree, so the same principle would likely apply to the wall. I don't see how else the Walkers get across. I bet this season ends with them going through the tunnel.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
That was the first white walker no? Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (most likely a Stark). Brad wargs into him eventually

Future vs present Bran

Why can't he be both? The first white walker would naturally be the night king, logically.

All we know is the Night King is a First Man that the children drove a dragon glass dagger into his heart to make him the lead Walker. He could be a direct Stark ancestor, we really don't know at this point.

I still find it curious that a weapon made from fire created a monster of ice.

He doesn't share any facial characteristics that any starks do so i doubt it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Quite a bit of time has passed since then though, right?

With Stannis being at Castle Black, I feel like it should have come up. Maybe both sides were unaware of one needing it and the other having it though.

I don't remember who said Dragonstone has dragon glass or if Jon ever mentions it to Stannis.

Good call. I never really considered that very few members of the Night's Watch would actually make it through the wights to fight the WWs.

Ya we still don't have a good idea on how the Long Night was won. Also why weren't the Walkers destroyed? They only managed to chase them north and build a wall to keep them out.

Seems to me there is more to this story.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why can't he be both? The first white walker would naturally be the night king, logically.

The White Walker with the crown has been credited and referred to as the Night's King. The same actor who was stabbed by the Children of the Forest and became the first White Walker is the same actor playing the Night's King in season 6.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
<Stuff about S5/S6>
I agree, with some minor differences.

I thought Seasons 1-4 were not perfect-- there were alot of little things that weren't executed that well-- however the overall structure of the season and focal points were very well planned out and for the most part, executed very well. As a result, when you look back at the seasons, you tend to forgive and forget the less significant flaws and you tend to remember the primary beats that do in fact feel right/massively satisfying. Season 1 and 4 were PACKED with these perfectly pulled off focal points, which make them feel close to perfect, whereas seasons 2-3 had a handful that were placed in exactly the right places.

Season 5 was lame. I legitimately think it was a mostly mediocre season (with a handful of good moments), not only based on the standards set by GOT, but also by the standards of other examples of "good television" set by critically acclaimed shows these days, IMO. It seemed to be making mistakes that other shows that are intended to be serious efforts wouldn't be caught dead making. (The Sand Snakes were far worse than anything on Daredevil or Mr. Robot, for example)

The "it only looks worse because of the standards set by GOT" thing I actually think applies more to season 6. It's fine, it's solid, and it's good entertainment, but it has not been anywhere close to S1-4. It feels a little rushed, a little bloated, a little overreliant on action sequences/exciting plot developments/deaths.... Not necessarily unfocused, but not as sure-handed, intriguing, and artfully built up as S1-4 for sure. Still enjoyable and a massive step up from 5, though.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The White Walker with the crown has been credited and referred to as the Night's King. The same actor who was stabbed by the Children of the Forest and became the first White Walker is the same actor playing the Night's King in season 6.

Interesting but I am more inclined to believe the lore, and that is the Night's King was the 13th LC and a Stark

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Interesting but I am more inclined to believe the lore, and that is the Night's King was the 13th LC and a Stark

What you believe doesn't really matter though, they have established this character as the Night's King. There is also no reason why what you believe isn't true, the human we saw could have very well been the 13th Lord Commander and a Stark. As we are starting to see through Bran, the stories and legends from history are not exactly the whole truth.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Apart from "people like dogs", what exactly have the wolves done to merit being bothered when they die?

The fact that the wolves have been nothing but 100% loyal to the most loyal family in the show is probably why most of us hate when they die.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
13256310_10153428869252471_5341218304505521073_n.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I was dying at that part.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What you believe doesn't really matter though, they have established this character as the Night's King. There is also no reason why what you believe isn't true, the human we saw could have very well been the 13th Lord Commander and a Stark. As we are starting to see through Bran, the stories and legends from history are not exactly the whole truth.

Didn't they say that that was the first White Walker. In the lore there were already White Walkers before the Night's King

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Didn't they say that that was the first White Walker. In the lore there were already White Walkers before the Night's King

Read my last sentence again. What everyone thinks happened 8000 years ago isn't necessarily the whole truth.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Did they specify that the man in the vision, the Night King, was in fact the first one or did they just mention that they created the White Walkers and that vision of the Night King could possibly have been made after simple White Walkers werent enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad