TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part V (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It was how the scene was shot and structured (it is a tv show and that matters). You have this grand proclamation and the very next moment he tells them to go back to their homes and build him a thousand ships

What was he supposed to do? His plan is to give a fleet to Daenerys. His niece and nephew made off with his best ships and a sizable part of the fleet.

Was he supposed to sit around with his **** in his hand and hope the young Greyjoys felt bad and came back with the ships?

If a fleet needed building, there really wasn't time to waste.

Like I had a problem with how that scene was handled but it wasn't cause he ordered his remaining captains to start building ships. At that point it was necessary. It's cause the Kingsmoot itself was rushed.
I never said that.

Great scene, but how can that be screwed up?
You could have Sansa fart right before she starts to make out with Jon.

But this is not enough to discredit good scenes. Just cause people would like them no matter how they were shot.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Something the new/old Tyrion Lannister would do

So do you have a reason for why season 6 is the same kind of mess as season 5 or are you gonna keep dancing around the question like a contrarian challenged to back up his or her opinions?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
So do you have a reason for why season 6 is the same kind of mess as season 5 or are you gonna keep dancing around the question like a contrarian challenged to back up his or her opinions?

Why do I need to back up my opinion? I am in the minority with this but what do I care about convincing you

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Why do I need to back up my opinion? I am in the minority with this but what do I care about convincing you

Because you've gone out of your way to share the opinion but you won't give solid reasons why. When the prevailing opinion is that season 6 is an improvement over season 5, and you offer dissent and say it's the same ****, some people like me will want to know your reasons. And you've given one. One scene out of 5 episodes of scenes to not even describe how the Euron scene is similar to season 5. When you make a claim that cuts against popular opinion, it's an invitation to debate that opinion. This is a discussion board is not? And I've given you ample opportunities to explain your opinion but all you've done so far is just regurgitate the same opinion and offer one scene as thin evidence.

Edit: let me put it this way. I am genuinely intrigued to hear why you think that on a structural, directorial, etc level you believe that season 6 has made no improvements over season 5 other than dropping bombs that inch the plot towards the end game. This is my favorite show on television and I'd like to hear the mindset of someone who sees things differently than I do. But on the other hand your posts in the Silicon Valley thread have me suspicious of you. You did the same thing there. At one point you make SV out to be god's gift to comedy and then later your retract that opinion and without giving reasons WHY, you say that the show has become horrid and terribly written. I'm intrigued to see what goes into the thought process behind these hard opinions of yours.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Speaking of symbols and characters shedding (or finding) their identities.

Watchers on the Wall did a great piece in Dany. It has some book spoilers but the gist was that the purpose behind her second big fire scene and going back to her roots so to speak with the Dothraki was Dany needing to go back to her season 1 self. Her true self.

Her deciding to sit and rule in Mereen was her compromising herself and chaining her dragons even more so. This journey was not just to get a larger army but for Dany to re embrace being "the last dragon". And being a dragon means you are a conquerer. Fire and Blood and all that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lets not forget that Jojen Reed told Bran that the Three Eyed Raven was him

That might be very plausible. That Bran himself started his journey.

We still need a reason for it all though. What importance is there to Bran's power that will change the war?

Crazy thought. What if Bran's purpose is to bring the Walkers south with their mark? Maybe the long night needs to happen or something to that effect and maybe they aren't as "evil" as we are being lead on?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That might be very plausible. That Bran himself started his journey.

We still need a reason for it all though. What importance is there to Bran's power that will change the war?

Crazy thought. What if Bran's purpose is to bring the Walkers south with their mark? Maybe the long night needs to happen or something to that effect and maybe they aren't as "evil" as we are being lead on?

Who was it that theorized that their whole goal was to stop the destruction Dany's dragons would bring to Westeros? :laugh:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Because you've gone out of your way to share the opinion but you won't give solid reasons why. When the prevailing opinion is that season 6 is an improvement over season 5, and you offer dissent and say it's the same ****, some people like me will want to know your reasons. And you've given one. One scene out of 5 episodes of scenes to not even describe how the Euron scene is similar to season 5. When you make a claim that cuts against popular opinion, it's an invitation to debate that opinion. This is a discussion board is not? And I've given you ample opportunities to explain your opinion but all you've done so far is just regurgitate the same opinion and offer one scene as thin evidence.

Edit: let me put it this way. I am genuinely intrigued to hear why you think that on a structural, directorial, etc level you believe that season 6 has made no improvements over season 5 other than dropping bombs that inch the plot towards the end game. This is my favorite show on television and I'd like to hear the mindset of someone who sees things differently than I do.

This is a great show, nothing changes that. Season 5 was "bad" only because of the standards 1-4 set.

I really haven't seen how Season 6 has diverged from the quality of Season 5. Aside from the fact that we're nearing the end of the story thus less set up and more pay off + less Dorne.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Who was it that theorized that their whole goal was to stop the destruction Dany's dragons would bring to Westeros? :laugh:

I definitely didn't go that far ahah.

But maybe it is a balance thing? It's a song of ice and fire so maybe we need both elements to mix or the world can't reach whatever state it needs to reach?

The episode is just such a huge game changer for the end game. We now have a way for them to bypass the magic that keeps them out. We have their origin and they are once again shown as a real threat. (The walkers themselves can only be killed by dragon glass and v-steel and even that you have to get through their armor. Never mind the horse of undead that move at a scary speed and have a feral ferocity that would kill almost everyone before they ever get to a walker to fight them. Wights can be blocked using fire but since they have no sense of self they can find routes around that normal people wouldn't use)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hmm ok.

Last season i was reading on who the Night King is and how he became. He was a Stark.

That's the legend. A lord commander of the night's watch became the night King.

There might be truth to the legend but I think we are finding true history is different from the stories.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is a great show, nothing changes that. Season 5 was "bad" only because of the standards 1-4 set.

I really haven't seen how Season 6 has diverged from the quality of Season 5. Aside from the fact that we're nearing the end of the story thus less set up and more pay off + less Dorne.

Okay you not seeing something is different from knowing for sure that in no way have improvements been made. And you claim that you're in the minority. So maybe listen to the opinions of the majority. You have a lot of guys here who are satisfied with the way this season has been going who were complaining week after week about how LAST season was going.

You say "aside from the fact that we're nearing the end of the story thus less set up and more pay off" well this has resulted in better quality. One of the reasons season 5 was comparatively poor to other seasons was precisely because the entirety of the season was a massive amount of set up and set up that dragged its feet just to get to defined set ups for this season. That was the best thing you could say about Season 5 was that it had intriguing set ups for this season and now we're seeing the payoff. That's resulted in some quality ass scenes that are satisfying to watch and are as well shot as we've come to expect in this show. But just because the quality piggybacks over the fact that season 5 set season 6 up to be what it's been, and because we're nearing the end of the story, doesn't negate the quality of this show. Now I'll admit that there's been flaws in the writing here and there, but nothing like what we saw in season 5. If we were to end season 6 today and you asked me to rate it, I'd have it about tied for third with season two behind seasons 1 and 4. But I'd put it well above Seasons 5 because the plot moves forward in a meaningful way, every episode has distinct and memorable moments. The acting is on point. The humor that was not as good last season is a lot better this time around. There's a lot to like here. There's a bit that raises the eyebrows, but this isn't a perfect show, and as I've said. From my perspective, there's a lot more that works this season than stuff that doesn't.

It's fine if we don't agree. I never cared about that. I just wanted to hear WHY your (minority) opinion was different than mine. I can repeatedly give my reasons for why I disagree with you as you can see above. That's all I wanted from you.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
So the spear used to kill the human tied against the tree was dragonglass?

He wasn't killed, he was pretty much transofrmed with it and the dragon glass (Supposedly) just stayed inside his chest and the theory is thats why White walkers are weak to dragonglass. Which is...weird? But i'll take it.

Night's King is future Bran

Considering we literally saw the night king born in the last episode, I'm gonna go with no.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All we know is the Night King is a First Man that the children drove a dragon glass dagger into his heart to make him the lead Walker. He could be a direct Stark ancestor, we really don't know at this point.

I still find it curious that a weapon made from fire created a monster of ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad