TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part V (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The Starks are screwups.
Pretty much every one of them.
Every time they try to make a difference, people die and matters end up worse, not better.
Maybe Westeros would be better off if they all died.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Now that we know Bran can and has modified the past with his powers, he seems like the ideal candidate to put an end to the war between the humans, the CoTF and the WW.
My theory is that he will go back 8000 years in the past, to see how the previous Azor Ahai/Prince that was promised defeated the WW the first time, and find out whoever Azor Ahai may be in the present day. It could be Jon Snow, Daenerys or even himself.

In time traveling, there is only one golden rule, that Bran must always remember. The present and future must remain consistent in the past, so he cannot do anything that will lead to a paradox. Say he prevents himself from climbing up the tower where Jaime and Cersei were sleeping together. He never falls from that tower, and the course of events that lead him to meeting the 3 eyed raven and unlocking those time traveling powers never happen.

Will be interesting to see what he does with those powers. Safest option is to be a spectator, not say anything to the people in the past.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
First of all I was a big fan of the faceless men and the whole Arya story. But now they just seem to let her hang around somehow. She's blind for one episode, and then she get's a second chance, and then she hesitates again. It's just annoying, because they seem to drag out the whole plot.

And Bran, well, I'm a fan of the political intrigues in GoT, not so much of that heavy metal cover art. So all the white walkers and the time traveling just aren't my thing.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Okay, now, I admit that I'm too lazy to read all the pages, but am I the only one who's not happy about that episode?

I'm with you also. Flashback of The Walking Dead in sloppy writing throughout the whole episode..

then Hodor. :cry::cry: That was the only redeeming scene of this whole season. #1 death scene in the series because of that origin story

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Okay, now, I admit that I'm too lazy to read all the pages, but am I the only one who's not happy about that episode?

You're probably one of the few, but I'm sure there are others. Most comments in this thread have been very positive, because it was a great episode. Even has a 9.8 on IMDB right now.

What didn't you like specifically?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think the majority loved it, but I did read some negative opinions a few pages back, so I don't think you're alone. To each his own though!

It wasn't perfect, some of the writing in the last sequence was questionable, but think it was another solid episode in what has shaped up as a solid season of GoT

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I really expected Euron to be more threatening and mysterious. This Euron just seems like a random drunken fool.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm with you also. Flashback of The Walking Dead in sloppy writing throughout the whole episode..

then Hodor. :cry::cry: That was the only redeeming scene of this whole season.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
what

qGN6Iip.gif

What was wrong with this one, was the lighting too gloomy?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You can disagree but for me there is a clear drop in quality from seasons 1-4

1-4 was as good as the books and 5-6 are just not living up to what it could've been.

IMO S6 has so far been better than any other season except S4.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
IMO S6 has so far been better than any other season except S4.

Agreed.

No Game of Thrones season is perfect and this one has shortcomings but it works in a lot more places than it doesn't, where season 5 it didn't work in almost as many places as it did.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I am not demanding perfection. Seasons 1-4 was perfection though

I feel people like S6 because of all these endgame bombs being thrown but really it's as messy as S5

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

It was probably my least favorite episode of the season. It had some good stuff, but the time travel business is putting a serious damper on things for me. The more they use it, and I can't believe they won't use it some more, the more damped I'm going to get. Also really not happy that they're killing off all the wolves. At some point (which was reached with Gray Wind, and passed with Shaggydog) I think it becomes a cheap way to manipulate the audience.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I am not demanding perfection. Seasons 1-4 was perfection though

I feel people like S6 because of all these endgame bombs being thrown but really it's as messy as S5

Season 3 was not perfection. None of the seasons were straight perfection. 1 and 4 were the closest to perfect.

And how is it as messy as S5?

Yeah there's some puzzling plot choices but you can go back and find questionable writing choices in every season. It's been well paced, the story is advancing without dragging its feet as much in any other season (yes Arya and Dany are still only creeping forward). The production value is as good as ever. The sense of humor that was missing from Season 5 is back. The action sequences are back to par and above. And for my money, it's not just endgame bombs, but the story itself is working a lot better. It's all intriguing again. Season 5 suffered because of dragging plots and a horrible Jaime in Dorne subplot. We had hoped that season 6 would redeem that plotline but so far nothing has happened to make that mess work. There is nothing here that is like anything as stupid as that Dorne plot.

I'm just not seeing where the similarity is.

EDIT: And I don't know if you were involved in any of it, but I remember DISTINCTLY a ton of people complaining loudly and often week after week during season 4 about book departures and things they felt were poorly written. Every week you had at least 3 or four people calling the latest episode the worst episode yet. Yet two years later it's pretty well accepted as one of the best seasons of the show. And these days we have about the same amount of people griping every week. So I think when all's said and done, unless the back half is a disaster, it will be a pretty well regarded season.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It was probably my least favorite episode of the season. It had some good stuff, but the time travel business is putting a serious damper on things for me. The more they use it, and I can't believe they won't use it some more, the more damped I'm going to get. Also really not happy that they're killing off all the wolves. At some point (which was reached with Gray Wind, and passed with Shaggydog) I think it becomes a cheap way to manipulate the audience.

Yeah, but I mean they can't live forever. I don't think it was ridiculous that Summer died there, there were an insane number of wights.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Season 3 was not perfection. None of the seasons were straight perfection. 1 and 4 were the closest to perfect.

And how is it as messy as S5?

Yeah there's some puzzling plot choices but you can go back and find questionable writing choices in every season. It's been well paced, the story is advancing without dragging its feet as much in any other season (yes Arya and Dany are still only creeping forward). The production value is as good as ever. The sense of humor that was missing from Season 5 is back. The action sequences are back to par and above. And for my money, it's not just endgame bombs, but the story itself is working a lot better. It's all intriguing again. Season 5 suffered because of dragging plots and a horrible Jaime in Dorne subplot. We had hoped that season 6 would redeem that plotline but so far nothing has happened to make that mess work. There is nothing here that is like anything as stupid as that Dorne plot.

I'm just not seeing where the similarity is.

Brienne + Tormund is great humour, but that's pretty much it. How is that a factor?

I never complained about the production value.

The story could be much better but I did like how they quickly eliminated the Martell family thus quashing the significance of the Dorne plot.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
And Bran, well, I'm a fan of the political intrigues in GoT, not so much of that heavy metal cover art. So all the white walkers and the time traveling just aren't my thing.

It was literally the first scene of the show/books. They weren't just gonna be some legend from the past forever.

You can disagree but for me there is a clear drop in quality from seasons 1-4

1-4 was as good as the books and 5-6 are just not living up to what it could've been.

Don't be that book fan that everyone hates.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah, but I mean they can't live forever. I don't think it was ridiculous that Summer died there, there were an insane number of wights.

To be honest, I didn't like that whole scene. Other than the Hodor origin which, time travel notwithstanding was very powerful, I thought that all felt kind of forced and rushed. But what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad