Post-Game Talk: GAME 2 - BRUINS 3 Nashville 2 - We're on to California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If Lucic and JVR can stay swift and contribute around 30 points on average each offensively that’s a fairly well rounded out offense. Our defense and goaltending seem to be the most important factor this year

looking at this team it feels like parts of a whole that we needed 2019-23…ah, well.

its fun watching the new guys and old guys at least

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Great win considering all the PKs the Bs had to deal with. Need to play smarter from here on out. Swayman bailed the team out big time tonight. Carlo and McAvoy were monsters in their own zone, which helped a ton.

PP1 looked better tonight as Zacha seemed more comfortable in his role. JVR being JVR was very key. Coyle forward of the game easily for me. Can't say enough good things about how hard he played and how effective he was in his own zone. Bottom 6 also did an overall good job in keeping the Preds at bay. Nice to see all 4 centers playing good hockey. Not sure what is deserving of a penalty shot any more, but Pasta converted and continues to be set on scoring a whole lot of goals this season.

This team so far has a great work ethic and is fun to watch. I guess we'll see down the road how good the team is once the schedule gets tougher, but so far I like what I am seeing.
After watching the officials, I am guessing they got together and said "this goalie has faced 6 penalty shots in his career and saved 5. Let's give them a penalty shot rather than give them a power play because they already have 2 PPG, we don't want them winning this game, keep the points in the south." :sarcasm:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Sway said JVR is a phenomenal person and has fit right in since day one. Tells me all I need to know about how the guys feel about him.
That's great to hear. Being an ex-Flyer and ex-Leaf put a bitter taste in my mouth about him, he has been known to embellish too but maybe that was longer ago in his career. I warmed up to him last night...lol

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
It is kind of interesting on several occasions his complete lack of speed has made him get there late but Lauko or Beecher crash the D and send the puck out towards the front and there's Looch finally arriving. It kind of works almost as if it was designed.
He's also a great follow up on a board battle where he again arrives late but just at the right moment to help his linemate with his physicality. It's a great line in terms of chemistry.
I guess that makes Looch the trailer in the play, or in his case a Tractor Trailer :sarcasm:

JVR could be Dave Andreychuk-lite 2.0. Andro was one of the ultimate garbage goal collectors. Up there with Espo.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
We will let the Leafs have their fun in the regular season and win the division. I’m hoping the Bruins can finish in the 2nd or 3rd spot .
Why concede the division? Let the Leafs have nothing. If they want to win the division, let them earn it. They may very well finish in first place, but I think the Panthers, Lightning, and I dare say the Bruins will have something to say about that.

I know it’s VERY early (too early?), but I think this Bruins squad is going to be a little tougher and a little rougher than maybe we thought. I’m just getting a feeling that the Bruins aren’t going to be as “easy” as some might think.

Way off topic… I keep hearing that the cap is going up quite a bit next year. If the Bruins can take advantage of that and add to the “core” they have now… they’re contenders again.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It's still early in the season, but there does seem to be some game management by the officials. They were reluctant to blow the whistles late in the game, which was also the case last night in New Jersey.

I've always liked JVR and think he will be a more durable net-front guy than Bertuzzi, and at a fraction of the cost.

Great start to the season; just two frustrations. First, the inability to control face-offs and make simple clears during the final minute brought back memories of Florida Game Seven.

Secondly, the goaltending was otherworldly, as it was all last season. So why did it falter that fateful week and a half last April?
I used to fear JVR on Philly & Toronto especially on the PP

Game 2 2011 playoffs in Philly was one of most dominant games ever watched - Thomas stole game but JVR had 2 goals and I think 10 shots

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Why concede the division? Let the Leafs have nothing. If they want to win the division, let them earn it. They may very well finish in first place, but I think the Panthers, Lightning, and I dare say the Bruins will have something to say about that.

I know it’s VERY early (too early?), but I think this Bruins squad is going to be a little tougher and a little rougher than maybe we thought. I’m just getting a feeling that the Bruins aren’t going to be as “easy” as some might think.

Way off topic… I keep hearing that the cap is going up quite a bit next year. If the Bruins can take advantage of that and add to the “core” they have now… they’re contenders again.
Panthers won’t make the playoffs.

Reactions: trenton1 and DKH

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017

Also thought Forbort was good tonight. He saved a goal when he fished the puck out when it almost went into the net.
I must have missed that, my feed cut out a few times good for him. I did see Poitras dig one out right on the line by the post. It was on its way to going in after it snuck past Sway. The boys were great in front of Sway tonight, and he was brilliant.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I'll be shocked if the Leafs don't top the division. Their roster is more loaded than it's ever been and they've beefed up their defense. The goalie situation is still a question mark but I trust they'll simply outscore any issues on that front. Playoffs are as usual a whole different beast, but as far as the regular season goes this Toronto team will take some beating.

But that's fine. I think for the Bruins, if they do find themselves in a position to challenge for the top spot, then sure have a crack at it. But I wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket. It's simply not worth enough to worry about. If Boston's going well, then their primary priority has to be getting themselves in the best possible shape for the postseason. If they can do that while winning most games, great, but it shouldn't be the focus. Even the chase for home ice I think is largely of no consequence in this day and age. As long as they're safely in the top 3 in the division so they can avoid the wildcard fight, that will be quite enough.

Long long way to go before we really have to starting thinking about this sort of stuff, but just as a matter of principle I'm not interested in the race for regular season glory. It's well-proven to be almost meaningless.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'll be shocked if the Leafs don't top the division. Their roster is more loaded than it's ever been and they've beefed up their defense. The goalie situation is still a question mark but I trust they'll simply outscore any issues on that front. Playoffs are as usual a whole different beast, but as far as the regular season goes this Toronto team will take some beating.

But that's fine. I think for the Bruins, if they do find themselves in a position to challenge for the top spot, then sure have a crack at it. But I wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket. It's simply not worth enough to worry about. If Boston's going well, then their primary priority has to be getting themselves in the best possible shape for the postseason. If they can do that while winning most games, great, but it shouldn't be the focus. Even the chase for home ice I think is largely of no consequence in this day and age. As long as they're safely in the top 3 in the division so they can avoid the wildcard fight, that will be quite enough.

Long long way to go before we really have to starting thinking about this sort of stuff, but just as a matter of principle I'm not interested in the race for regular season glory. It's well-proven to be almost meaningless.
This season, I want the Bruins to be the underdog, it is a much better position to be in. Like 2011.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Just in...

I never thought that I would be cheering for JVR but I am happy he is on the team.

We were hoping Poitras would get his first goal tonight.

The fans were NOT happy with the guys in stripes tonight. Did you hear them chanting "Refs you suck and BULLSHIT"? It was pretty loud, and I wasn't sure if they would let that be heard on TV.

With ticket prices the way they are, the refs are pretty clearly the biggest detriment to
someone attending a game. That's by far the loudest reaction I remember in a long, long time to the refs " performance " in an October game, against a team such as
Nashville. I would be pissed paying over a $100 for that level of incompetence.

Reactions: rfournier103

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Refs too involved in the game, ended up evening out. Difference was that we capitalized on our PP chances and they didn’t. Thought it was a good overall 5v5 effort. Ready for the west coast trip, hopefully I can stay awake for it.
The Squat Thrust Captain has assured us she will be there for assistance

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Remember Doc Emrick's insane mancrush in JVR in the 2011 ECSF? That's how I feel about JVR today

Remember JVR's G2 in said 2011 SCPO against Boston? He looked like the second coming of Mario Lemeiux in that game.

He doesn't have his own top game in him anymore, but for 1M you don't have any choice but to sign him. He looks capable of being the net front presence they need to help take some pressure off #88 on the PP.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Just in...

I never thought that I would be cheering for JVR but I am happy he is on the team.

We were hoping Poitras would get his first goal tonight.

The fans were NOT happy with the guys in stripes tonight. Did you hear them chanting "Refs you suck and BULLSHIT"? It was pretty loud, and I wasn't sure if they would let that be heard on TV.
They said the chants were started by two ladies near the Bruins bench........;)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It has only been two games , but if I was to pick a player that needs to step up his game to be in the line up. For me it would be Shattenkirk. We will no better after 20
Did you actually watch the game specifically the power play? He was very good last night facilitating the puck and taking shots from the blue line. Saved a few from going out of the zone too.

He’s not the player he once was but he’s much better than Zboril and Clifton. He’s not flashy but he knows his role.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

As the season goes on its going to be difficult for anyone to separate themselves from
anyone in the Atlantic. Every team has strengths and weaknesses that will give each other trouble.

Watched Detroit against NJ and parts of their game against TB and they are improved upfront with DeBrincat with Larkin. Compher gives them more depth down the middle compared to last year with Suter.

Buffalo will get their act together with Dahlin, Power, Thompson and I am high on Levi. Ottawa has lots of speed and talent. If Chychrun stays healthy (60 games) they will be in the PO hunt. The Florida teams are sort of WC right now with their injuries.

Going to be the most interesting A Division season in years.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1697372400217.png

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've always liked JVR and think he will be a more durable net-front guy than Bertuzzi, and at a fraction of the cost.

Great start to the season; just two frustrations. First, the inability to control face-offs and make simple clears during the final minute brought back memories of Florida Game Seven.

Secondly, the goaltending was otherworldly, as it was all last season. So why did it falter that fateful week and a half last April?
Good point. He looks good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad