Post-Game Talk: GAME 2 - BRUINS 3 Nashville 2 - We're on to California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Did you actually watch the game specifically the power play? He was very good last night facilitating the puck and taking shots from the blue line. Saved a few from going out of the zone too.

He’s not the player he once was but he’s much better than Zboril and Clifton. He’s not flashy but he knows his role.

On strictly talent, he isn't better than Clifton, never mind much better. Shattenkirk's remaining NHL skill set from the first two games is his passing ability and that's it.
His board play and skating aren't NHL level right now.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
I was thinking while watching this game and seeing the penalties pile up “this is the weird kind of game we’d somehow win anyways last year… but this year don’t expect it”. Well what do you know, we pulled it off. I was happy with the poise if the team. When Lindholm got called, you could see his frustration, and that was what lead to the 6-5 goal. But besides that, we kept coming and it paid off.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm still confused by the Fenian dislike for Coyle...Coyle has everything a Fenian wants in a player? A truly confused Blowfish here.
I like Coyle as a 3rd center, his offense is, let's just say limited and he should not be centering Marchand and DeBrusk.

Not his fault that he was put in that position, that is on Sweeney for lack of center depth.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Why concede the division? Let the Leafs have nothing. If they want to win the division, let them earn it. They may very well finish in first place, but I think the Panthers, Lightning, and I dare say the Bruins will have something to say about that.

I know it’s VERY early (too early?), but I think this Bruins squad is going to be a little tougher and a little rougher than maybe we thought. I’m just getting a feeling that the Bruins aren’t going to be as “easy” as some might think.

Way off topic… I keep hearing that the cap is going up quite a bit next year. If the Bruins can take advantage of that and add to the “core” they have now… they’re contenders again.
They are much bigger than the past year. On a physical POV, IMO they will be tougher to play against, and guys like Marchand and Pastrnak should be less abuse. Right now, best NHL goalie tandem, good D squad, top 3 sniper, size and toughness.... the only part to be seen is

- The center line position

If Poitras comes down to people expectations, and Coyle and Zacha taking charge and upgrading their game, this team can be very very good.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Remember JVR's G2 in said 2011 SCPO against Boston? He looked like the second coming of Mario Lemeiux in that game.

He doesn't have his own top game in him anymore, but for 1M you don't have any choice but to sign him. He looks capable of being the net front presence they need to help take some pressure off #88 on the PP.
JVR will be good on the PP. His net presence won't shy.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I like Coyle as a 3rd center, his offense is, let's just say limited and he should not be centering Marchand and DeBrusk.

Not his fault that he was put in that position, that is on Sweeney for lack of center depth.

I’d rather bury Frederic and Geekie with defensive zone matchups than DeBrusk and Marchand. It seems inevitable that Coyle and Poitras will end up switching up at some point.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Understood but after watching him play top line minutes in the playoffs (when it matters most) I changed my perspective RE Coyle. Dude proved he belongs in the top lines. I've been impressed last 2 games and specifically last night. Not saying he doesn't make a good 3rd line center (probably the best) but he certainly can play top 2 on this bruins team.

The meshing part will come together ... that could be with March/Debrusk and/or Pasta/Zach or Pasta/Debrusk/Other.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’d rather bury Frederic and Geekie with defensive zone matchups than DeBrusk and Marchand. It seems inevitable that Coyle and Poitras will end up switching up at some point.
I could see the bruins trying a little bit of everything...This west coast swing will be difficult with the bruins/line matching ... being the visiting team.

3rd line C responsibilities include Beecher, Richie, Ralph Malph, Zacha, Coyle...Potsy probably makes most sense top 2 lines however he's still only 19 and this last game it was obvious the Preds were focussed on roughing him up along the boards...especially behind the net. It will take time for Potsy to adjust to the physical part of the game...the speed part is no issue whatsoever.

I see some mix matching first 15 games or so.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Coyle/Zacha lines playing against top lines so it's expected but Poitras line is killing it.

I know one fan who would be a big Yes and another fan would be big No....lol

They will, but if the 63-13-74 line is going to get shutdown or be essentially a net zero when it comes to 5v5 offensive impact then it puts more pressure on lines 2 & 3 to pick up the slack. It's only two games, but Coyle is getting absolutely caved in on faceoffs at 43% and he leds are team in draws taken.

Reactions: JCRO

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Last night's game was a great goaltenders dual. Zero weak goals allowed.

Three stars: 1.Swayman 2. Bruins PK 3. Bruins Power Play

Bad night for 4th line and bottom pair.

Lindholm had a rough night.

Beecher only center to win 50% of faceoffs (6-5).

Marchand playing too close to the edge right now. Still missing Bergy.

Poitras got cuffed around pretty good.

So many bad penalties in first two periods. All well deserved.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Also, last year Coyle had pretty good chemistry with Freddy, albeit the third was Taylor Hall.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They will, but if the 63-13-74 line is going to get shutdown or be essentially a net zero when it comes to 5v5 offensive impact then it puts more pressure on lines 2 & 3 to pick up the slack. It's only two games, but Coyle is getting absolutely caved in on faceoffs at 43% and he leds are team in draws taken.

The Bruins as built can’t afford to have their 2nd and 3rd best wingers on a net zero line. Gotta give them some time, but my gut ain’t feeling positive about it right now.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
His F/O % should improve...it's normally a strength of his. I believe he was at 60% last playoff.

To be honest I'm not sure the bruins have a top line...Line 1 and Line 2 are essentially Line 1 with Coyle line taking on a more defensive responsibility.

Coyle isn't all to blame when it comes to the offensive production. Marchad/Debrusk are also responsible for making things happen but I also see them as "more" responsible D forwards. All three are key to the PK.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How those JVR haters doing tonight?
Exactly. I thought he was all around the net against Chicago. I know he was all around the net last night.

He is probably going to be exactly what this team needs. Gritty, greasy, ugly goals around the mouth of the net. Not sure we going to be a high scoring team so we’re gonna need some lunchpail goals and JVR is the kind of guy to do it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

James van Riemsdyk remembers the days when his dad, Frans, would fire pucks toward him and his brothers in the driveway at their Middletown, N.J., home.
This wasn’t a punishment drill. It was a tip drill.
James, Trevor, and Brendan would take turns standing in front of the net and try to redirect Frans’s shots.
“He never gave me the chin music,” James said with a snicker. “Really it was more just knocking [the pucks] down and knocking them dead.”
Trent Frederic used to perform similar drills with his brother, Grant, taking turns zipping shots in their basement in St. Louis.

“There was a speed limit on the shots, and you’d try to knock it down and then shoot it,” Frederic said. “I feel like everyone kind of plays those games and we actually do a lot of it in practice.”
The practice paid off for Frederic and the Bruins in Wednesday’s opening win against the Blackhawks. Parked in front of the Chicago net, the big winger karate-chopped a Brandon Carlo wrister that escaped goalie Arvid Soderblom.

It paid dividends for van Riemsdyk in Saturday night’s 3-2 win over the Predators, as his second power-play goal of the contest came on a beautiful redirect of a Charlie McAvoy shot and stood up as the game-winner.

“That second tip, the second goal is incredible, but the plays that we go down low, he has the poise, and he makes really good decisions,” coach Jim Montgomery said. “And they have to be split-second decisions.”

The art of tipping pucks involves positioning and excellent hand-eye coordination, but there’s one quality that is most important.

“Courage would be the No. 1 factor,” Montgomery said.

Stationing yourself in front of the net, players know they’re going to be subjected to punishment. Sometimes harsh punishment. Whether it’s feeling a defenseman’s stick in the small of their back or a goalie’s twig hacking at their ankles, it’s not duty for the faint of heart.

“Being big and heavy helps, because you’re harder to move from those areas,” Montgomery noted.

Van Riemsdyk (6 feet 3 inches, 208 pounds) and Frederic (6-3, 214) have the requisite size for the role.

“Being a bigger guy obviously I can take away the eyes of the goalie fairly easily with my wingspan and stuff like that,” said van Riemsdyk, who has made a career scoring in tight. “And then depending on if the shot’s low or high, there’s different strategies you might try or if the shot’s a little bit slower versus harder, there might be some different things you might try to throw the goalie off. So, there’s definitely some tricks you pick up over the years and definitely obviously something I take a lot of pride in that part of my game.”

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
On strictly talent, he isn't better than Clifton, never mind much better. Shattenkirk's remaining NHL skill set from the first two games is his passing ability and that's it.
His board play and skating aren't NHL level right now.
I don’t think he’s ever been renowned in his own end. One thing I have noticed is he doesn’t screw around pinning pucks to walls (kinda like Carlo does).

Once it is on his stick he’s looking to go north. Different mentality than most of their other dmen.

He’s probably their best passer back there on pure talent. That first game he all in one motioned a chest high saucer across the ozone blue line in the tape of whoever it was.

When he did that my first thought was he’s the only guy on the team that would even try that let alone succeed at it.

Different player for sure. It’ll be interesting to see how they use him.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Watched Shattenkirk in person a lot with Rags. Only 2 games, but he's keeping it simple here and much better than the trainwreck at MSG.

Beecher . . .not so sure he's going to stick there or stay healthy, but Monty has him out there in last minute of the game so what do I know.

Potsy . . . i think mngt is still considering him going back. He's going to take a beating in the NHL, despite incredible vision on the ice.

Team truly needs a 1C so other Centers can slot into their rightful places.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
IMO Poitras will suit very well top 6 at some point. I agree with the Bruins and the way they manage the kid right now. Don't burn him. Pressure on top 6 assignment and Boston Fans expectation can definitely be tough to manage for a kid. Let him adapt to NHL calendar, pro life, media etc.... than the time will bring him up the roster.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Did you actually watch the game specifically the power play? He was very good last night facilitating the puck and taking shots from the blue line. Saved a few from going out of the zone too.

He’s not the player he once was but he’s much better than Zboril and Clifton. He’s not flashy but he knows his role.
Did I watch the game what an insulting comment No I got up this morning and decided to say so far I am not sure how I feel about Shattenkirk's game. Like Really. I could be more specific on the aspects of Shattenkirk's game that have been weak, but apparently , I do not watch the games

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad