Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Fitz already back yappin'

Probably picked it up from the Latinas in SoFlo when he was a Panthers player down there in the 90's, holy hell. :laugh::laugh:

Because he's solid piece that would've been extremely useful to this team next season... even if in a Brendan Smith role

And no doubt he will be significantly more valuable than Markstrom in two years.

I would have much rather seen Holtz moved

If that's how you're building your NHL team, you're A) never making a trade a win now trade B) you're never going to be a Cup winner because you're always going to prioritize the future over the current needs of your group at trade deadline/offseason when you're close to winning one.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Probably picked it up from the Latinas
IMG_2305.png

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Never said I blamed him ;)

I think Fitz learned three things in 2023-2024

Ruff needed to go

Needed a veteran starting goalie

Forwards needed to be faster and bigger

He has gotten two of those corrected. I have faith he will find the correct complimentary forwards.

Pretty fair, it's also an indictment of what he thought post Carolina series too. As much shit as we've given Fitz, it's a very good trait in a GM to realize their f***ups very quickly and correct them like you said.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The folks at Calgary Puck must be SEETHING

A couple of them tried to run their laps about how the others were talking about Mercer and 10 and whatever else, but the board as a whole was like, "nah, that was only a couple of people" and the trade was mostly met with positive reviews. They have a poll up and 5 people disliked the return out of like 300 votes.

They gave kudos to Conroy for making Fitz crack because one of their insiders says that the day before, Fitz was only offering a third and went to a first. It's some funny shit how much they hate Fitzgerald basically on nothing but randoms saying stuff and then just running with it as a site

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes, people are underrating Bahl. He’ll have a nice career in the NHL when Holtz playing the SHL.

I’d want Bahl over Holtz too if I was Calgary.

But unlike some, I get over lost players relatively quickly. As opposed to, you know, still crying about players we lost last off-season.
Why did Nj let Beau Bennett go in free agency?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
what? add so, so, much more.

the over valuing of this 1st is hilarious

The overvaluing of goalies has gotten completely out of hand. So much more to a first round pick and a young roster player for Ullmark? Like what? It's absolutely assinie to think Ullmark it going to command "so, so much more" than Markstrom. Maybe instead of a first and a roster player it will be a first, a roster player and a second. You aren't getting some crazy huge package for freaking Ullmark. Fitz overpaid because he probably had to if he didn't want his job to be in jeopardy. That doesn't mean other GMs will too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If that's how you're building your NHL team, you're A) never making a trade a win now trade B) you're never going to be a Cup winner because you're always going to prioritize the future over the current needs of your group at trade deadline/offseason when you're close to winning one.
Such a dumb comment when the very next sentence after the one you bolded is I would rather have seen Holtz traded...that pretty much contradicts your entire point.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think Fitz learned three things in 2023-2024

Ruff needed to go

Needed a veteran starting goalie

Forwards needed to be faster and bigger

He has gotten two of those corrected. I have faith he will find the correct complimentary forwards.

I don't think the team will get faster this off-season. I think it will get better, I don't think Fitz is looking for speed, and I don't think the team will try to play like they did in 22-23.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
There is a scarcity of goalies.

Fitz did his due diligence. The Devils were linked to every available goalie. He confirmed it himself. I wasn’t pro Markstrom until I realized the flexibility he brings.

Past arguments:

1. The Devils Only need average goaltending and that was proven when VTech and Schmid got the Devils to the second round.

2. You don’t need the best goalie to win. Bob and Skinner had some ups and downs for sure.

Cory Schneider said he didn’t like the uncertainty of having Markstom for 2 years but Saros and Ullmark only have 1 year left on their contracts.

Saros would cost the most. Cost the most to get and his contract would be hefty.

Ullmark stopped a trade to LA, and might not want to go to certain east coast teams. He is an amazing 1B, but he has an injury history and he benefited from a favorable workload.

Reactions: glenwo2

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I will tell you right now that I doubt a mid-30’s tandem of average goalies is going to make a big difference if the way this team plays defensively doesn’t improve big time.

Also, the likelihood of at least one of them missing a non-insignificant amount of games due to injury seems pretty darned decent.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
what? add so, so, much more.

the over valuing of this 1st is hilarious
Boston fans are hoping for a 2nd and a 3rd for Ullmark. He's a rental. What do you think his acquisition price is going to be?

I would be shocked if Ullmark goes for MORE than a 24 year old 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman and a 1st round pick.

stop it, he's literally pushing 90. he's earned the right to say whatever tf he wants.
is this a joke that went over my head or did I actually just chirp a f***in 90 year old lol

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I will tell you right now that I doubt a mid-30’s tandem of average goalies is going to make a big difference if the way this team plays defensively doesn’t improve big time.

Also, the likelihood of at least one of them missing a non-insignificant amount of games due to injury seems pretty darned decent.

The new coach should help with the defensive structure. No way in hell Keefe is going to consistently send two defensemen below the goal line like Ruff did.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Boston fans are hoping for a 2nd and a 3rd for Ullmark. He's a rental. What do you think his acquisition price is going to be?

I would be shocked if Ullmark goes for MORE than a 24 year old 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman and a 1st round pick.

is this a joke that went over my head or did I actually just chirp a f***in 90 year old lol
If Ullmark is traded for a 2nd and 3rd I might blow a gasket.

Of course I have no idea whether or not he was willing to come here....but if we paid a 1st and Bahl for a 35 year old temporary solution, when we could've had a better younger temporary solution for a 2nd and a 3rd....oof.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
A goalie that allows early goals on a team that allows early goals. Sweet, they'll cancel each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad