Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I will tell you right now that I doubt a mid-30’s tandem of average goalies is going to make a big difference if the way this team plays defensively doesn’t improve big time.

Also, the likelihood of at least one of them missing a non-insignificant amount of games due to injury seems pretty darned decent.
Luckily we have a new coach, two guys that won’t be rookies anymore next year, our #1 D back, and free agency hasn’t even started yet.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I will tell you right now that I doubt a mid-30’s tandem of average goalies is going to make a big difference if the way this team plays defensively doesn’t improve big time.

Also, the likelihood of at least one of them missing a non-insignificant amount of games due to injury seems pretty darned decent.

Your negative outlook for this upcoming season is noted.

If the team has another rough year, I hope the ability for you to gloat about how you just knew things were going to go wrong brings you some joy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Luckily we have a new coach, two guys that won’t be rookies anymore next year, our #1 D back, and free agency hasn’t even started yet.
The new coach is the most encouraging, should I say hopeful thing for me right now

If he can get more of our team to be responsible and committed to playing a more disciplined game that would go a long way....A longer way than a goalie could ever provide.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and Aurinko

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
this team with bahl had no net front presence .. that needs to be fixed
Ok. So you remove the guy who has actually done ANY crease clearing in the last year and half?

Are you going to tell me there was a better player on this roster at clearing the front of the net than Bahl? We need more so get rid of the best we have? Is that what you are saying?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Markstrom/Allen last year saved 28.6 goals above expected more than Vanecek/Daws/Schmid did

I just can't believe anyone actually thinks that this goalie tandem is not SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we trotted out last year. And before you say "WELL THE DEVILS DEFENSE SUCKS!", keep in mind that we have a totally new system, and that Calgary's D corps sucked (especially the 2nd half of last year).

Reactions: glenwo2

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
The new coach is the most encouraging, should I say hopeful thing for me right now

If he can get more of our team to be responsible and committed to playing a more disciplined game that would go a long way....A longer way than a goalie could ever provide.
I do agree. There are big minuses going to next season, but nothing that can't be fixed by a good coach. The goalie hopefully isn't the answer, but the real strength is finding the potential within the available forwards and D by the coach.

Markstrom/Allen last year saved 28.6 goals above expected more than Vanecek/Daws/Schmid did

I just can't believe anyone actually thinks that this goalie tandem is not SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we trotted out last year. And before you say "WELL THE DEVILS DEFENSE SUCKS!", keep in mind that we have a totally new system, and that Calgary's D corps sucked (especially the 2nd half of last year).
Big goalie needs good defense that knows how to block the cross seam passes. There's a lot of time to develop good habits before the season really gets going.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
And what did Bahl's crease clearing accomplish last year? Our PK was average at best and we gave up the T-5th most goals in the league. His only job is to stop goals going in and the team still gave up a bunch of goals anyway.

Why are we so attached to guys that we sucked with?

It's very strange to spend a year building up this dissertation about how terribly constructed the defense is, and then immediately start crying the second we begin changing the defense.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And what did Bahl's crease clearing accomplish last year? Our PK was average at best and we gave up the T-5th most goals in the league. His only job is to stop goals going in and the team still gave up a bunch of goals anyway.

Why are we so attached to guys that we sucked with?

It's very strange to spend a year building up this dissertation about how terribly constructed the defense is, and then immediately start crying the second we begin changing the defense.

It doesn't have enough guys like Bahl, guys who are big and hit people sometimes but not really enough.

That said, Bahl was fine. He wasn't adequate for the role he was asked to fill, but he is a functional NHL defenseman. I don't think trading Bahl is an attempt to remake the defense, but it's just, that's the guy Calgary wanted.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It doesn't have enough guys like Bahl, guys who are big and hit people sometimes but not really enough.

That said, Bahl was fine. He wasn't adequate for the role he was asked to fill, but he is a functional NHL defenseman. I don't think trading Bahl is an attempt to remake the defense, but it's just, that's the guy Calgary wanted.
This is correct. And in no way should've Calgary been able to dictate the return or receive a starting 23 year old Dman for a 35 year old that they were going to be forced to move anyway.

We got bent over for temporary not so ideal solution.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This is correct. And in no way should've Calgary been able to dictate the return or receive a starting 23 year old Dman for a 35 year old that they were going to be forced to move anyway.

We got bent over for temporary not so ideal solution.

and then when we went into the season with the same type of goaltending, you'd be crying that Fitz didnt pay the price to upgrade.

and so the cycle goes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It’s only works if the fish like to be caught
Ahh...not necessarily. You have to trigger that natural instinct....the fish might not be hungry and the bait might not even look like food....but sometimes color or movement just triggers a strike... it's a natural reaction but you have to know how to wiggle it.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
There were times that Kevin Bahl was flat out dominant:

But the fact the Turtoro needed to single out one month to make his case says it all. Lots of young player show flashes of great play but can’t stay at that level consistently (remember Zacha’s final third?)

The Flames are rolling the dice that he can find the consistency to be a mid pair or even top pair defender, but he is not either of those things right now.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Also, why would you not want to give those minutes to a guy like Hatakka or Misyul? Bahl has had his chance here and just ultimately wasn’t good enough. Fitz has already said he’s going to get another LD, so give those third pair minutes to guys that are deserving of a chance.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There were times that Kevin Bahl was flat out dominant:

But the fact the Turtoro needed to single out one month to make his case says it all. Lots of young player show flashes of great play but can’t stay at that level consistently (remember Zacha’s final third?)

The Flames are rolling the dice that he can find the consistency to be a mid pair or even top pair defender, but he is not either of those things right now.

The presence of Jack Johnson and Gubranson on the list is pretty telling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad