GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
A lot of people completely understand where we are.
Not likely to regress or stay stagnant at this point.
Didn't necessarily maximize our original tank seasons.
Got 1OA spot on but certainly did not end up in a great position year 2 spin it any way you want.
I projected .500 hockey last season but that was with a healthy Dach.
I think we are a bottom of the bubble team this year providing not too many thing go off the rails.
We should be in shed mode because this team can be improved by subtraction in a number of areas.
That was always going to be Hughes' greatest challenge.
Do we have enough assets including Cap to start dumping some of those contracted players for next to nothing and find upgrades I think so.
I think we should try to bolster what we do have as much as possible all the while continuing to evaluate the growth potential of the talent on hand.

That's the concern here. I think there's a genuine possibility we get stuck in no man's land once again after all is said and done with this rebuild.

Rebuilding/tanking is far from being a magic recipe. Just ask the Sabres.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I love how some are X is going to be 100 pts forwards or #1 dmen when 2 to 12 has no actual consensus because everyone has flaws and most of these kids are not projected as 1st line players or 1st pair dmen...

Reactions: dinodebino

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
There is two scenario possible :

Hope, fun, unanimous rally behind the player. Only happen with Demidov, maybe Lindstrom.

Death threat, bigotry, harassment, borderline civil war if anything other than those two.
I think there will be lots of people in here on the verge of going postal even if we end up with Lindstrom. I've seen so many ludicrous comparisons to Josh Anderson in here plus everyone will be on pins and needles about his herniated disk. These folks will clearly have more knowledge on his medical prognosis than the team of physicians and therapists who examine him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think there will be people in here on the verge of going postal even if we end up with Lindstrom. I've seen so many ludicrous comparisons to Josh Anderson in here plus everyone will be on pins and needles about his herniated disk. These folks will clearly have more knowledge on his medical prognosis than the team of physicians and therapists who examine him.
Yeah I hear internet armchair GM's know what's best.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
I think there will be lots of people in here on the verge of going postal even if we end up with Lindstrom. I've seen so many ludicrous comparisons to Josh Anderson in here plus everyone will be on pins and needles about his herniated disk. These folks will clearly have more knowledge on his medical prognosis than the team of physicians and therapists who examine him.
1a and 1b for me.....The Lindstorm and The Demon. Give me either and I'm good

Reactions: dralaf

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
My wishlist right now for tomorrow is:

1 - Demidov.
2 - Lindstrom.
3 - Buium.

I'm a big fan of Tij Iginla since day one, but Zeev Buium have unreal potential. Can become the best D in this year draft class. We can't pass on him if Demidov or Lindstrom are not there.

I work today, but I'm off tomorrow, soo let's gooo!!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's the concern here. I think there's a genuine possibility we get stuck in no man's land once again after all is said and done with this rebuild.

Rebuilding/tanking is far from being a magic recipe. Just ask the Sabres.
Why is that. In my mind I felt that the direction we ended up taking right or wrong dictates what has to happen next.
We need a homerun or as close to one as possible for our top line(s). We still have time but the object of any rebuilding team is to get better.
A good reference for us is the NJD's they played a similar type of season to ours before they broke through.
Didn't win much but were in a whole heck of a lot of Hockey games the previous year.
They had more game breaking talent than we currently do.
Do you consider their job done?
No they have plenty of tweaks and upgrades that yet have to happen before they get to the highest rung.
It doesn't mean they are stuck perpetually in no man's land despite a bad season.
One way to look at it is if you see glaring holes we aren't where we need to be before the final pieces can be found.
Whether it's going for or trying to attract that homerun piece last or getting it sooner and working on the glue.
I prefer the latter because I think we have to get good and keep building on the positive vibes we've been projecting to get the right homerun hitter.

Reactions: Tyson

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Say what you will about our "solid D prospects", we still haven't got any safe bet to become a first pairing D in the whole organization.

Even the management talked about Reinbacher as a "solid top-4 D" after drafting him last year.

We miss quality prospects pretty much everywhere. We're definitely not at a point where perceived "needs" should have any influence on who we end up picking.
There’s no top pairing safe bet in this draft at D either. So you’re not really ahead if you decide to take one here

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I love how some are X is going to be 100 pts forwards or #1 dmen when 2 to 12 has no actual consensus because everyone has flaws and most of these kids are not projected as 1st line players or 1st pair dmen...

All of the top 10 easily have 1st line and/or top pairing upside. The only players that are ever considered shoe-ins in either one of these roles typically go 1st overall.

The whole 1st line/top pairing upside conversation is always a waste of time as the NHL is full of players who who were never considered to have this upside yet are holding down these roles. How is it possible for a player to be a consensus 1st liner yet they never had this potential? This obvious contradiction renders the question useless and something of an absurdity in that it is still used. Fans expectations and definition of these roles is absurd in most cases and I just don't find this type of discussion meaningful or interesting when comparing 18 year old kids. We can frame the conversation as prospects who have displayed the typical acumen of being high end players and which which prospects are showing promise of developing into a high end, top of the lineup player but the 1st line/top pairing talk as a binary supposition simply creates a highly subjective and meaningless line in the sand.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don’t think the latter is likely to happen. The field is too dispersed — you have Buium, you have Dickinson, you have Iginla, etc.

Last year the pressure was high to pick a forward, this year it is less forward heavy and if Demidov and Lindstrom are out the field he totally open.

The Habs won’t pick “wrong” that night. Sure the player might bust but it won’t happen that night.
I wish we won't revive what we saw last year because it was a real motherf***ing shame

Reactions: Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad