GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
All it takes is a talented, beefy defensive core, depth up front and a hot goaltender to win, like Vegas and Saint-Louis.
Very good post. It's easyer and more garanty of success this way. The famous game breaker, I have nothing against the idea, I think it's a kindda mirage. Everybody hope for that, everybody see in any small skilled forward the possibility of a new Kucherov. But in reality, how many future Kucherov with the skilled forwards drafties and how many busts or half-busts? When the game breaker happen, often it's a bit of luck. Many times, nobody saw them coming and many times they were not draft top 5.

Toronto is based on the idea of the suoerstar/game breaker and nothing happened in PO. Oilers have way more talented forwards than Toronto and they missed the Cup because they didn't have enough depth at many positions, more important at D, G and weakness at forwards line 3 and 4.

But it's not popular on this board to talk about a well balanced team, many fans here want the game breaker, the player who will make jump from our couch and scream loud.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You're clearly missing the point. That's not what I said.
A safe bet top pairing offensive defenceman would not be the 3rd-5th ranked defenceman in a draft. You need to take your time to reevaluate what Buium is. He has nice potential, but is in no way a safe bet to play 25 mins a game in the league.

Reactions: Bourdon101

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
If we win the Cup, I wouldn’t give a shit if we became irrelevant for 10 years after. We’ve already dealt with being irrelevant for 30 years.
Bergevin had that mindset. Make the playoffs and the hope to get lucky.

The whole idea of the rebuild was to get out of the bubble zone.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And that is the core of the Habs problem. That is what the other post was saying. This rebuild will become a bubble team with the occasional Cinderella runs unless they can get offensive game breaking talent.
Do you think the entire fan base doesn't know this.
The argument isn't that we need it's all about how do we best go about acquiring it.
We sure as hell aren't drafting it and I currently don't see it on the market for our time frame.
Trade for it or UFA pay for it. Either way we have to become ATTRACTIVE before any of that happens.
We are laying down some positive tones but not nearly enough yet to grab the Big Kahuna IMO.
The player we want may have to waive a NTC or an NMC for example.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If we win the Cup, I wouldn’t give a shit if we became irrelevant for 10 years after. We’ve already dealt with being irrelevant for 30 years.
Just to win one Cup is already a big accomplishment. A team who wins the Cup can forget about the Cup for the next 30 years. There are 32 nhl teams and we talk about teams parity.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Bergevin had that mindset. Make the playoffs and the hope to get lucky.

The whole idea of the rebuild was to get out of the bubble zone.
I mean that’s what the playoffs are all about. St. Louis still had a great core, but they had to get lucky to win the Cup (Binnington playing out of his mind)

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we draft a defenseman, pick whoever as #1 ceiling, no safe two-way pick bullcrap.

Good statement. I see a lot of fans pumping up most of those guys on D as top pairing. I see a lot of top 4D with the chance 1 or 2 turn into a top pairing stud.

You ask this board and you will get multiple replies on who the think has top pairing potential.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
A safe bet top pairing offensive defenceman would not be the 3rd-5th ranked defenceman in a draft. You need to take your time to reevaluate what Buium is. He has nice potential, but is in no way a safe bet to play 25 mins a game in the league.
I don't and I won't but thanks for the counsel. I've seen him play a fair bit, He is a safe bet to be a first pairing d-man. I'm done with your obtuseness.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Do you think the entire fan base doesn't know this.
The argument isn't that we need it's all about how do we best go about acquiring it.
We sure as hell aren't drafting it and I currently don't see it on the market for our time frame.
Trade for it or UFA pay for it. Either way we have to become ATTRACTIVE before any of that happens.
We are laying down some positive tones but not nearly enough yet to grab the Big Kahuna IMO.
The player we want may have to waive a NTC or an NMC for example.
EDM not winning the cup could eventually be an opportunity for some teams, including MTL.

Reactions: Rapala

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If we draft a defenseman, pick whoever as #1 ceiling, no safe two-way pick bullcrap.
Wrong draft cuvée - there is no Hedman / Dahlin clear cut 18-yr old projection. The Dman projected to go top-5/10 may very well end up a #1 in the long run….wecome to the 18-yr old crapshoot

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Tomorrow night will be epic.
We've waited 364 days for this.....
The optimism on Slafkovsky is based on a great half season when most games didn't mean anything. Can we just wait a full year?

As far as Guhle is concerned, he's a guy who's playing a role way too big for his abilities, and who had a lot of trouble early last season before being put with Savard to stabilize his game. The very fact he's a reason why this fanbase is positive about where things are going is saying more about the quantity of kool-aid being drank by our fans than it says about Guhle's actual potential. This is a guy with very little offensive abilities who, frankly, is a good second pairing D but far from being a core player.

As for Suzuki, the only thing I'm seeing is that he's entering his prime with this team nowhere near competitive enough to make the most of it.

That's a lot of optimism based on, honestly, no tangible results or improvement.

I mean, the bar has been set so low that we're all, unanimously optimistic because our 1st overall pick had a 50 points sophomore season and that one of our young Ds don't look absolutely terrible?

Come on... This rebuild is not going anywhere so far. The only "core pieces" that were added by this management excluding the draft are, thus far, guys who have yet to get a 40 points season.
It's a marathon not a sprint. You're telling me there's nothing to be optimistic about when comparing what we had October 2021 vs now?

Reactions: Troyp and Rapala

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I mean that’s what the playoffs are all about. St. Louis still had a great core, but they had to get lucky to win the Cup (Binnington playing out of his mind)
How many Cinderella runs have won the cup in the last 30 years ?

The chances are much better when a team is continuously competing. That is what management said they would do.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Very good post. It's easyer and more garanty of success this way. The famous game breaker, I have nothing against the idea, I think it's a kindda mirage. Everybody hope for that, everybody see in any small skilled forward the possibility of a new Kucherov. But in reality, how many future Kucherov with the skilled forwards drafties and how many busts or half-busts? When the game breaker happen, often it's a bit of luck. Many times, nobody saw them coming and many times they were not draft top 5.

Toronto is based on the idea of the suoerstar/game breaker and nothing happened in PO. Oilers have way more talented forwards than Toronto and they missed the Cup because they didn't have enough depth at many positions, more important at D, G and weakness at forwards line 3 and 4.

But it's not popular on this board to talk about a well balanced team, many fans here want the game breaker, the player who will make jump from our couch and scream loud.
How many cups have the Habs won in the last 30 years? Which strategy have we favoured the most between a balanced team/gamebreaker players?

Matthew Tkachuk has had two 100 point seasons. Sam Reinhart scored 50 this year. Barkov is a dominant shutdown C ala Bergeron.

Colorado has MacKinnon, Raatanen, Makar

The Lightning have Stamkos, Kucherov, etc.

Pittsburgh, Crosby Malkin

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith

Certainly there are exceptions to the rule but still. Talented players who can handle the heat of the playoffs win you cups. The Leafs get bounced every year because they have guys like Marner/Matthews who wilt and shy away from that kind of hockey and they're so top heavy on F that they have holes.

Reactions: NORiculous

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
I can admit there is sense to taking a defensemen, even if I would rather take Sennecke. Dickinson or, if available, Levshunov would be fine picks, but Buium is not the guy. Though they are not the same player, him and Hutson have enough redundant traits that it makes no sense at all. You cannot build a team around two 6' and under offensive-minded PP quarterbacks. Everybody knows this, it's been said over and over on this board, so I am convinced the Habs can see it too.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
For real, if we can win a cup I don’t care if the team relocates the next day

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How many Cinderella runs have won the cup in the last 30 years ?

The chances are much better when a team is continuously competing. That is what management said they would do.
Depends what you define as a Cinderella run. The Kings won multiple Cups but I’d argue they were both Cinderella runs.

Do the Panthers win the Cup this year without the experience of a Cinderella run last year? I doubt it. What about the Knights winning last year without many of their players having a long Cinderella run in their inaugural season?

There’s a lot of factors. Not everyone can build a team like Tampa.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sennecke and Eiserman

instead of.....

Demidov/Lindstrom/Levshunov/Silyayev/Dickinson, Surin/Basha/Boisvert, Kapenen and Anderson.

No thanks.

Demidov will be picked if he is there at 5. We are not trading our pick then.

Lindstrom is too risky for me at 5. One of those picks that makes you look like a genius or a dummy. Chronic back issues can come back and then think about the style of game he plays and how the NHL can wear you out. I see the potential but the risks are not small.

I like Dickenson too. But I also like the list of guys you seen in the post you replied to. Levshunov and Silyayev have top 4D potential for me but they might be off the board at 5 anyways. I do like Dickenson over the other two.

So from these 5 guys, I'd be passing on Lindstrom and you likely have only Dickenson on the board. I like my chances with who is on the board at 9 and 10. Those can hits just like Dickenson

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

He's not that far from being a safe bet. All these Ds are more #2 potential I agree, but Buuim might be the one with a slightly better risk profile.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I can admit there is sense to taking a defensemen, even if I would rather take Sennecke. Dickinson or, if available, Levshunov would be fine picks, but Buium is not the guy. Though they are not the same player, him and Hutson have enough redundant traits that it makes no sense at all. You cannot build a team around two 6' and under offensive-minded PP quarterbacks. Everybody knows this, it's been said over and over on this board, so I am convinced the Habs can see it too.
I see your points and you are statiscally correct.

Permit to believe tho that a team icing both Hutson and Buium for 40min+ per game would be a problem, and a major one, for the opposition, not the team icing them.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad