GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Florida got worse today, but long -term, that deal favours them. Have a unicorn of a player locked up for 8ys @ 9.5mil. Can put up 100 points, play a rough game, and annoy the crap out of the opponent. Florida essentially got rid of a superstar who is 29 and on an expiring deal, and had to add to that (Weegar, prospect,1st) to get a 24 locked up long term. Calgary for being pretty hogtied here with a young star wanting out....did a great job to get one of the best players in the league and a solid top 4 D ++.
Calgary is gonna be trying very hard to make Huberdeau a rich man, and likely offer the captaincy. If Huberdeau stays in Calgary, they did an even better job here

Is Tkachuk a 100 point player without Gaudreau? What does Barkov do without Huberdeau?

They may have lost more offense than they think, while also taking a big hit defensively.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Is Tkachuk a 100 point player without Gaudreau? What does Barkov do without Huberdeau?

They may have lost more offense than they think, while also taking a big hit defensively.
Big hit defensively for sure. Like I said, they're worse today. But they have a player 5 years younger, that's locked up now. I don't think Tkachuk losing a winger in Gaudreau, is going to be set back by gaining a center in Barkov. Usually C-W is the better combination than W-W. So yes, I think Tkachuk will be 100point guy. Huberdeau is the one headed to Calgary with not much to play with. Huberdeau is going to be on a line with Lindholm and one of Tofolli or Mangiapane. Calgary is headed for a down year ..all the while having to try and convince Huberdeau and Weegar to stay. All in all, I think this was a good trade for both sides as long as Calgary can manage to keep Huberdeau

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Weegar is a top pairing dman, he’s not getting flipped for Alex freaking Keefoot dude cmon ….

Out of those 9 Dmen, it includes 3 guys they’ll just send to the minors. Out of the guys on their D, I can see Valikamki being the guy traded

Pretty insane how much value some think we have in dudes we're trying to cap dump

No one is trading valuable assets for 3rd line forwards and our 6th dman when they can get ligitimate players for cheap, nothing or get paid to do so

Reactions: GoodNewfieBoy

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Gonna have to wait and see how they play to judge the Cats.

I mean, the first overall team just lost 3/6 of their top forwards and 2/4 of their top D from the end of season roster including their top points guy that drove their offense and one of the better 2Ds in hockey. Dont underestimate how vital Marchment had become to the team as well.

All the cap teams are really feeling the pinch from the covid cap.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Time to look at Calgary for a deal, with Tanev Andersson and Weegar at RD and Hanifin Kylington, Zadorov at LD perhaps a trade of ..

Kerfoot, Holl and 2nd
For
Weegar

Reactions: The Podium

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
interesting deal…..will all depend if those two big pieces going to Calgary sign with them or decide to hit UFA next year

If they both decide to test free agency next yr….then it’s a huge loss for Calgary and you probably miss out getting Bedard too

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It is not false. The suggestion that Matthews at an 8 year cap hit would be worth more than Mcdavid at the same is silly.
It is false. Matthews never "signed short to try to time a cap jump". That was never reported or indicated at all. In fact, the exact opposite was reported, and even confirmed by Dubas himself.

“That was certainly the intention at the beginning from Auston’s side, they were focused on that [max-term deal],” Dubas said. “We’re very thankful they were willing to move from their desired term."

Matthews was willing to take (and in fact preferred) an 8 year deal, but the Leafs opted for a 5 year deal because it allowed them to keep all of their core together and build around them.

It was also never reported that Matthews on a 8 year deal would have been an abnormal amount, or higher than McDavid's negotiated cap hit percentage. McDavid negotiated 17.67% (which is what their agency would be focused on), and then took a voluntary post-negotiation discount for 16.67% (which actually put him as the abnormality relative to history when exclusively looking at more simplistic, traditional measures). And quite frankly, the truth is Matthews' pre-signing period was a lot, lot closer to McDavid than many like to acknowledge. There's nothing "silly" about Matthews being close to McDavid's post-negotiation discount percentage on a similar 8 year deal.

Fun fact: Even ignoring more accurate measures like per-60, where Matthews had a superior ES P1/60, ES G/60, PP P/60, PP P1/60, and PP G/60, Matthews also had the exact same overall primary points per game at time of signing. The difference in their point totals was entirely secondary assists.
Mcdavid signed pre Vegas when Everyone was expecting it to be an Arizona.
What are you even talking about? McDavid signed July 5th, 2017. Las Vegas was known and already an operating team.
I don’t know if Matthews signs a 3 year deal of course I am guessing as an idea.
Yes, you don't know. That would be incredibly abnormal and unlikely to happen, and would be a significant 180 for Matthews. If Matthews did choose to do that, we would not get him on a 3 year UFA deal through ages 27-29 for cheaper than he would make on an 8 year deal.
We know the cap will be 84.5 under the current agreement Do you honestly think he signs for what 14-16% of 84.5 knowing the cap will jump in 1-2 years?
He will sign an 8 year deal based on the cap at the time, with slight considerations for how the cap is projected to evolve. He is not going to sign based on a 95m+ cap under an 84.5m cap. That's not how contracts work.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Is there anything to all this sudden Weegar talk, or just fantasy? Can't see why they'd move a guy the just got...as im sure it likely indicates Weegar is someone they circled and wanted included one would assume. Calgary is going to have a strong D core this year.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Time to look at Calgary for a deal, with Tanev Andersson and Weegar at RD and Hanifin Kylington, Zadorov at LD perhaps a trade of ..

Kerfoot, Holl and 2nd
For
Weegar

Why would they ever do that. They'll just load up on a very good defensive core.

It's a lot of RHD though. Weegar has played a lot of LD as a RHD, which is pretty rare.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Why would they ever do that. They'll just load up on a very good defensive core.

It's a lot of RHD though. Weegar has played a lot of LD as a RHD, which is pretty rare.
There forward group is a little weak, figured they might use a position of strength to kill 2 birds they get a bottom pairing RD and a middle 6 forward, and a 2nd for there rebuild if it all goes awry

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There forward group is a little weak, figured they might use a position of strength to kill 2 birds they get a bottom pairing RD and a middle 6 forward, and a 2nd for there rebuild if it all goes awry

It is weak but I really don't understand why they would flip Weegar for a bunch of spare parts. They can just go to free agency and get a couple decent forwards to bolster it up.

They could very well acquire Kerfoot, but it would likely be for a pick or two kind of thing.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Pretty insane how much value some think we have in dudes we're trying to cap dump

No one is trading valuable assets for 3rd line forwards and our 6th dman when they can get ligitimate players for cheap, nothing or get paid to do so
Have to say that we might have reason to fairly critique Dubas for not trading Kerfoot and Holl before all of this. We'll see what happens before training camp, but it seems like prices are going down on forwards. Holl might have same value as before. Might have.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It's funny. I think Florida did amazing even if it was a slight overpay (I don't think it was). 8 years of prime age Matthew Tkachuk (arguably the best two-way winger in the league) locked in at a reasonable price for a 29 year old Huberdeau who's going to get paid that or more (and likely will age terribly), and Weegar, although awesome has one more year as well. The first is hilarious because Florida will never pick again, but they traded essentially two rentals for a prime aged top-10 player in hockey. Atlantic continues getting stronger for the foreseeable future, but at least Florida has no defense and are stuck with Bob's boat anchor contract.

Reactions: Shooter2x and Havoc

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Noting Weegar and Huberdeau could walk at the end of this season. You’d hope for Calgary’s sake that they talked extension in advance. I had suggested trading for Weegar under the premise he wouldn’t extend with them. Their D is very solid with or without him. Sure Kerfoot isn’t enough for him straight up, that should have been obvious that we’d add, Calgary has $9 mil in cap space right now, and there is ONE UFA left who has more points last year than Kerfoot, and that is Kessel, who had 52 points to Kerfoot’s 51. So yes, at this point Kerfoot is attractive to a team desperate for offence. Sign Kessel too, and at least have some offence.

From our perspective, adding Weegar to play RD allows us to move Holl and Kerfoot and really Muzzin too.

I appreciate that we’d add to get Weegar, but if he doesn’t want to stay in Calgary, but would sign here, it’s a deal that makes too much sense not to do. Interesting enough, it would result in having ~$6 mil in cap space for us this year, and we could upgrade and add both Stastny and Rodrigues.

Even if there isn’t a deal for one of their D, that could help us, they’d probably have interest in Kerfoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Noting Weegar and Huberdeau could walk at the end of this season. You’d hope for Calgary’s sake that they talked extension in advance. I had suggested trading for Weegar under the premise he wouldn’t extend with them. Their D is very solid with or without him. Sure Kerfoot isn’t enough for him straight up, that should have been obvious that we’d add, Calgary has $9 mil in cap space right now, and there is ONE UFA left who has more points last year than Kerfoot, and that is Kessel, who had 52 points to Kerfoot’s 51. So yes, at this point Kerfoot is attractive to a team desperate for offence. Sign Kessel too, and at least heys have some offence.

From our perspective, adding Weegar to play RD allows us to move Holl and Kerfoot and really Muzzin too.

I appreciate that we’d add to get Weegar, but if he doesn’t want to stay in Calgary, but would sign here, it’s a deal that makes too much sense not to do. Interesting enough, it would result in having ~$6 mil in cap space for us this year, and we could upgrade and add both Stastny and Rodrigues.

Or they take their chance on a 1 year rental and flip Weegar at the deadline if they suck. If they don't suck, they go for it and hope maybe they can make an extension work eventually. This goes for Huberdeau too.

People forget the Flames want to compete. It's not always about maximizing your player value long-term.

If the Flames were worried about it, they would have taken a pure futures laden return. All picks and prospects/young players.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
That price means Calgary received multiple blockbuster offers and Florida just rolled in there with a bazooka and wiped out everyone with zero doubt.

Alternative is Huberdeau is a bum behind the scenes and they want to move on. Who knows.

I like Tkachuks odds of remaining elite beside Barkov in contrast to Huberdeau in Calgary. I wouldn't be shocked if Huberdeau goes back to a 70 point player in Calgary. I'd take Tkachuk over him today 1 for 1. Especially pairing him with Barkov.

I see Barkov continuing to be underrated with the amount of people who think Tkachuk will regress. I mean after a 104 point season "regressing" is most likely but I see Tkachuk getting to the 90 point total.

6'3 dominating center and tough 6'2 winger, these 2 will eat.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Calgary did extremely well there.

Florida needs Tkachuk to maintain his 90-100 point form, but I honestly am not sure if he will.
It will be interesting too see how well they mesh with Barkov. I think there is tons of potential, but if they don't click it is accident waiting to happen, because then Tkachuk has to carry that second line like Huberdeau did and he hasn't done that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad