GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Florida got worse today, but long -term, that deal favours them. Have a unicorn of a player locked up for 8ys @ 9.5mil. Can put up 100 points, play a rough game, and annoy the crap out of the opponent. Florida essentially got rid of a superstar who is 29 and on an expiring deal, and had to add to that (Weegar, prospect,1st) to get a 24 locked up long term. Calgary for being pretty hogtied here with a young star wanting out....did a great job to get one of the best players in the league and a solid top 4 D ++.
Calgary is gonna be trying very hard to make Huberdeau a rich man, and likely offer the captaincy. If Huberdeau stays in Calgary, they did an even better job here
Calgary got the best player in the trade just coming into his prime
The big question is can matthew get 100 points without gaudreau.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Panthers are going with a Jets level defense next year and all the experts will be left wondering how both teams missed the playoffs.

Division is going to be interesting to see who gets that 3rd spot. Looking like the Metro may take 5 spots again.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Panthers are going with a Jets level defense next year and all the experts will be left wondering how both teams missed the playoffs.

Division is going to be interesting to see who gets that 3rd spot. Looking like the Metro may take 5 spots again.
A barkov-tkachuk duo is not missing the playoffs barring injury.

Florida just keeps grinding away. Even with no 1st round picks until the year 6000 these guys keep making moves. They'll find a way to moneyball around this duo. They've proven that sitting around using their situation as an excuse to do nothing worthwhile is not an option.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Is Tkachuk a 100 point player without Gaudreau? What does Barkov do without Huberdeau?

They may have lost more offense than they think, while also taking a big hit defensively.
We don’t know but it doesn’t matter. You don’t need to be a 100 point player to win the Cup, otherwise Edmonton could just win it every year with McDavid. I’d rather have a successful team with 70 point players.
You need a team and the team needs playoff balance and chemistry. Time will tell if the team of Florida can become something more. What you lose in one skilled player, you change with another.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

Florida just keeps grinding away. Even with no 1st round picks until the year 6000 these guys keep making moves. They'll find a way to moneyball around this duo. They've proven that sitting around using their situation as an excuse to do nothing worthwhile is not an option.
Barkiv has been injured every year
When he gets injured this year i dont think tkachuk can drive a line
Huberdeau can drive a line

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We don’t know but it doesn’t matter. You don’t need to be a 100 point player to win the Cup, otherwise Edmonton could just win it every year with McDavid. I’d rather have a successful team with 70 point players.
You need a team and the team needs playoff balance and chemistry. Time will tell if the team of Florida can become something more. What you lose in one skilled player, you change with another.

Barkov and Tkachuk are similar players though. If anything you mess with chemistry by not having the offense generating support winger.

Florida has had a longer rebuild, with less success and has gotten worse this off-season. They aren’t a shiny example of who to follow….

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

Since the 2012 lockout Florida has made the playoffs 3 times in 10 seasons, with one round won (this year). Why are you making them out to be some beacon of success?

They obviously CAN make the playoffs this year, but they’ve regressed in one of the tougher divisions so it won’t be easy.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Maurice found a way to miss the playoffs with a lot of talent in Winnipeg
True but Jets have never had Barkov and Matthew Tkachuk level talent. If Barkov can play at least 70 games assume Florida is in the playoffs.

My homerism for our own dynamic duo is my foundation for feeling this way, I'm not supporting Florida to put us down. Just putting that out there. Remove Rielly and Brodie from our backend and I still have full confidence matthews-marner make the playoffs.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Yeah, they could go Moneyball, but so far they seem to be just building a fantasy team and have made some serious mis-steps for sure.

OUT:
3 x 1st Rounds picks
3rd and 4th
Huberdeau
Weeger
Marchment

For

IN:
2 months of Giroux
2 months Chiarot
Tkachuk (extended)
...plus they have the Bobrosky deal and now the Barkov extension kicking in.

They won one more playoff game than the Leafs this year and none were against Tampa Bay.

I am not sure anyone should have faith in their ability to get better....last year may very well have been the high point.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I actually like Tkachuk over Huberdeau for overall game but no Gaudreau is the biggest issue not enough are talking about. That whole line was one of the best in hockey (don't forget about Lindholm).

If Tkachuk doesnt find near the same chemistry on the Panthers, this could turn out to be a bit of a mess for Florida who has gutted their future for this team. They didnt sell the farm here to get a point per game player (which he had never even been in his career before last season)

Even taking last season into account, here is how Tkachuk ranked over the last 3 years:

Goals per game: 42nd
Points per game: 26th

This is a really huge risk. Giving up the perenially underrated Weegar (one of the best #2s in the NHL the last while) is also going to hurt them far more than they realize....AND they gave up a 1st and a prospect.

Massive gamble and it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. It looks like the Flames got the win here as they were under the gun but anything can happen.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yeah, they could go Moneyball, but so far they seem to be just building a fantasy team and have made some serious mis-steps for sure.

OUT:
3 x 1st Rounds picks
3rd and 4th
Huberdeau
Weeger
Marchment

For

IN:
2 months of Giroux
2 months Chiarot
Tkachuk (extended)
...plus they have the Bobrosky deal and now the Barkov extension kicking in.

They won one more playoff game than the Leafs this year and none were against Tampa Bay.

I am not sure anyone should have faith in their ability to get better....last year may very well have been the high point.
I just see the league differently from others. If you have the superstars, you are among the elite at least for the regular season.

I don't like Florida odds for the stanley cup but I see zero risk for them missing the playoffs. Barkov-Tkachuk leading the way for your team with Ekblad on the backend guarantees you at least playoffs. They're on their own from there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

But they’ve been able to make moves with their 1st round picks and prospects.. they’ve gutted their future. The cap era has proven that prolonged success is highly dependant on a good flow of cheap ELC talent.

Florida’s in a lot of trouble in 2-3 seasons when they need to re-sign some key players and will have next to nothing on the farm to replacement with.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Barkov and Tkachuk are similar players though. If anything you mess with chemistry by not having the offense generating support winger.

Florida has had a longer rebuild, with less success and has gotten worse this off-season. They aren’t a shiny example of who to follow….
I'm not saying they are an example to follow (unless we're talking rewind 5 years on your aging star then yes I'd follow that).

I am saying they have a superstar duo they can moneyball around. I'm using the fact they're always in the news when it comes to trades as proof they will continue to make moves and see how to balance the rest of the roster. Whether they do it well or bad remains to be seen but we know they will try nonetheless.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Florida isn't thinking in terms of what value we got head per head. Florida's core at best now 26 years in average.

Weager has been rumored to be in the trade mill for a while. They been wanting to move from him now for long time.

They saved money long term and they got younger. That first round? 2025. They have plenty of time to recover that

It's ok sometimes to move on from players. Not get emotionally attached because you drafted him, because he got 100 points. It's ok to try a different look

I know, I know. As a Leafs fans, that must be so foreign to us.

Lundell is untouchable. He's not going anywhere
He's one of the reason why they were able to make this move

.. I’m confused?

So it’s ok to overpay because changes are necessary?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I just see the league differently from others. If you have the superstars, you are among the elite at least for the regular season.

I don't like Florida odds for the stanley cup but I see zero risk for them missing the playoffs. Barkov-Tkachuk leading the way for your team with Ekblad on the backend guarantees you at least playoffs. They're on their own from there.
I am not saying they miss the playoffs this year...I am just saying they appear to be getting worse not better.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
For me the entire thing about the Flames trade is that if they sign Hubs to a massive contract it's a huge L because he doesn't drive play, is bad defensively, and although has put up massive production recently, he's done it in cushy minutes while Barkov's line has done all the hard work. If I'm the Flames you trade him while his value is insanely high and get absurd value because you have no idea what he'll play like in a Sutter coached system that demands responsible two-way play.

To be honest if I'm the Flames you scorch earth like the Blackhawks, but you actually have legit pieces to move. Hubs, Lindholm, Andersson, Weegar, Markstrom, Mangiapane, Hanifin. Get incredible value as you dont *HAVE* to trade them, take on bad contracts for assets, be bad enough this year for Bedard/Michkov or pretend to be sad getting Fantilli and quickly re-tool back to being a contender in -3 years. Letting Hubs and/or Weegar leave for nothing is even worse asset management than signing them long-term.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
For me the entire thing about the Flames trade is that if they sign Hubs to a massive contract it's a huge L because he doesn't drive play, is bad defensively, and although has put up massive production recently, he's done it in cushy minutes while Barkov's line has done all the hard work. If I'm the Flames you trade him while his value is insanely high and get absurd value because you have no idea what he'll play like in a Sutter coached system that demands responsible two-way play.

To be honest if I'm the Flames you scorch earth like the Blackhawks, but you actually have legit pieces to move. Hubs, Lindholm, Andersson, Weegar, Markstrom, Mangiapane, Hanifin. Get incredible value as you dont *HAVE* to trade them, take on bad contracts for assets, be bad enough this year for Bedard/Michkov or pretend to be sad getting Fantilli and quickly re-tool back to being a contender in -3 years. Letting Hubs and/or Weegar leave for nothing is even worse asset management than signing them long-term.

Calgary has put themselves in a great position to rebuild with many players that can garner big assets. Whether they take the chance or not is another thing.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I am not saying they miss the playoffs this year...I am just saying they appear to be getting worse not better.
I don't think so. Maybe temporarily. They just converted almost 30 Huberdeau into a 24 year old Matthew Tkachuk who now gets Barkov as his center. Everything they did prior to gut their draft capital is in the past. Using this trade as a new day 0 and moving forward, they got better.

I stand by securing your superstar foundation and worrying about the rest after. Wasting time worrying about a team with barkov at 26, tkachuk at 24 and Ekblad on the backend just because they lost Weegar.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
True but Jets have never had Barkov and Matthew Tkachuk level talent. If Barkov can play at least 70 games assume Florida is in the playoffs.

My homerism for our own dynamic duo is my foundation for feeling this way, I'm not supporting Florida to put us down. Just putting that out there. Remove Rielly and Brodie from our backend and I still have full confidence matthews-marner make the playoffs.
1 player doesnt make or break the playoffs

Single players and duos dont make the playoffs. They will be the most important part of the said team but that sounds like an NBA statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad