GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Drury's best move of the offseason has been not signing Patrick Kane but that might have all been luck

patrick_kane.gif

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Age and cap sealing make a big difference, as does timing and playoff performance. Only one of those two has shown that they can really perform in the playoffs

You can't bomb out of the playoffs if you're not in the playoffs. What are you talking about. What we just watched this year was the same exact thing that happened in the conference finals against the lightning when they didn't have any reason to be carrying a series lead and they dropped the ball and gave the opposition A sniff and then the opposition just absolutely dismantled them.

If you watch that series and even the second half of the Carolina series and thought to yourself that they looked like a team that could actually win the Stanley cup then I have absolutely no idea what you were watching, because without the goalie that everybody here wants to run out of town for apparently being overpaid on his next contract they would have been embarrassed nationally in those games. The same thing is happening with Igor that happened when Henke was at his top, people start to lose perspective of just how f***ing good these guys are and how much they're actually keeping teams in games against superior opponents and then people can't wait to run these guys out of town bc they apparently cost too much
You said the team bombed out. That’s not a bomb out season. Now you’re trying to rephrase it. The Sharks bombed out. Columbus bombed out. The NYR have some retooling to do, but your characterization of them as having a disaster year is ridiculous. It’s just raw emotion and no common sense.

… and you are aware that Igor is a member of this team? He’ll soon probably be the highest paid member of this team? This whole - they are bad except for Igor idea is pointless.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't have a problem trading for a rental if they were legitimate top line players, like they could have done with Guentzel, but the direction the rangers are taking just makes no sense. If you aren't all in on this group or you are worried about the future, why the f*** are you trading all of these picks. Just re-sign Blake Wheeler or Roslovic and hope you get lucky. Should have just let Brodzinski center the 3rd line.
Or perhaps there's like 10 months before the playoffs start and 9 months before the trade deadline. Did I miss something or do the playoffs begin tomorrow?

The team on paper today isn't at all the one we will go to war with in April. Instead of panicking, why not just be happy that we didn't pay for someone that we'll be begging to get rid of by whatever means necessary in 2-3 years.

Were there a few reasonable contracts given out today, sure. But not many. And even less so for wingers. Maybe there are better options on D via trade or will come available during the year.

Reactions: mike14

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
we have no options, so we left signing cheap 1yr stop gap players that don't fit out team, but make it look like we're doing something.
How have both adds not fit the team?

Smith is a strong 2 way player that can play on any of the top 3 lines. He also is someone that can PK.

Carrick is a 4th liner that can easily be scratched if he is surpassed by internal depth. Gives them someone that can C or W for cheap for 3 seasons

I'm not saying we haven't made moves we need to address (defense), but unless Trouba is out, where was it going? I'd hope he'd move Lindgren out

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I wouldn't care if they went in like this @Machinehead. A crash and burn season would not upset me if it accelerates a teardown.
Rolling the dice until you *know for damned sure* you have a real cup contender, which is basically only a few teams per ERA/generation is not something casual NYR fans will tolerate

Because the overwhelming odds are your team is not good enough. It would not shock me if the Rangers or any particular team for that matter, doesn't win a cup in my lifetime again

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers were 2 wins from the cup. This team was damn good. I really don't understand how people think we suck because we didn't overpay some bum today.
2 wins from the Cup but 2 very big, very real wins against a team that's clearly better than us.

People are going to be rightfully annoyed if the team doesn't improve. If we don't, what are we doing?

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
2 wins from the Cup but 2 very big, very real wins against a team that's clearly better than us.

People are going to be rightfully annoyed if the team doesn't improve. If we don't, what are we doing?
I'll also be annoyed, but we have 9 months to improve. Overpaying on July 1st doesn't signify we're doomed to having Trouba and Lindgren play gigantic minutes down the stretch for us again. There's a lot that can happen and with all the smoke around Trouba, it seems highly likely something will happen.

Reactions: lilphildub

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think the Rangers make at least one, but probably two hockey trades this offseason. In the end, without having Trouba moved by today, it was going to be really difficult to go big game hunting. In the end, I think most of the players we liked were signed for more than we’d feel comfortable spending anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad