GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The fact that Drury is talking to the media suggests to me nothing is close with Trouba. No way he’d talk to them if there was something bubbling
I think it's extremely possible trouba is here opening night and this is in part Drury walking this whole mess back.

He talked to him, told him that he wanted to move him, it got blocked, and now jury has to go into damage control mode. It's not as far-fetched as some people might want to think

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I wouldn't have a problem trading for a rental if they were legitimate top line players, like they could have done with Guentzel, but the direction the rangers are taking just makes no sense. If you aren't all in on this group or you are worried about the future, why the f*** are you trading all of these picks. Just re-sign Blake Wheeler or Roslovic and hope you get lucky. Should have just let Brodzinski center the 3rd line.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
They bombed out. Up 2 0 on a series they were being outplayed in and then they were dominated for 4 straight losses that they had no business even sniffing wins in except their goalie went into God mode...
That’s BS. That’s just pure emotion.

You’re one of the last 4 teams left, you won the Presidents Trophy, then you didn’t “bomb out.” Bombing out would be missing the playoffs entirely or getting dropped by the Devils in the 1st round like they did the year before.

I do agree that they need to retool to a degree, but if you think a complete rebuild or roster breakdown is coming, then you’re wrong.

Last edited:

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
There are no guarantees unless you’re built like the 80s Oilers. With the guys moving around it’s just a lot of shuffling then the Lu start dealing cards in Oct. who knows what will happen. Just entertain me
It’s just not true that you can’t make intelligent, targeted moves that sacrifice now to greatly, greatly improve your odds later. Even when you are already a playoff team.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think it's extremely possible trouba is here opening night and this is in part Drury walking this whole mess back.

He talked to him, told him that he wanted to move him, it got blocked, and now jury has to go into damage control mode. It's not as far-fetched as some people might want to think
They also don't really have anyone to replace him or spend his cap space on so might as well keep him at this point.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It'll be a wild world if RFA Laf is getting more than UFA Reinhart.
Age and cap ceilling make a big difference, as does timing and playoff performance. Only one of those two has shown that they can really perform in the playoffs

That’s BS. Thays just pure emotion.

You’re one of the last 4 teams left, you won the Oresidents Trophy, then you didn’t “bomb out.” Bombing out would be missing the playoffs entirely or getting dropped by the Devils in the 1st round like they did the year before.

I do agree that they need to retool to a degree, but if you think a complete rebuild or roster breakdown is coming, then you’re wrong.
You can't bomb out of the playoffs if you're not in the playoffs. What are you talking about. What we just watched this year was the same exact thing that happened in the conference finals against the lightning when they didn't have any reason to be carrying a series lead and they dropped the ball and gave the opposition A sniff and then the opposition just absolutely dismantled them.

If you watch that series and even the second half of the Carolina series and thought to yourself that they looked like a team that could actually win the Stanley cup then I have absolutely no idea what you were watching, because without the goalie that everybody here wants to run out of town for apparently being overpaid on his next contract they would have been embarrassed nationally in those games. The same thing is happening with Igor that happened when Henke was at his top, people start to lose perspective of just how f***ing good these guys are and how much they're actually keeping teams in games against superior opponents and then people can't wait to run these guys out of town bc they apparently cost too much

Last edited:

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
At this point they might just be best serve to keep him on the 3rd pair to play with Jones this year. Let Jones basically run every single breakout and Jake can be the physical presence out there.
Given how they were not able to sign any impactful 1 year deals to take up that cap space, whiffed in the trade market, haven’t been able to get cost certainty on any extensions yet, and of course cannot add any term with said extensions looming… why the hell not?

It’s a wasted year anyway. They will tread water until they can move out more salary and then actually target free agents or trade acquisitions when they know what they have to spend.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
And very nearly did against the Hurricanes.

All im saying is that we are doing a lot of damage to our pipeline for half measures. There have been no Yandle, Nash, MSL acquisitions with term and yet we’ve lost a 1st to Copp and about a half dozen second round picks squandered
If they dealt two first rounders for a guy like Kane as they did MSL then this board would’ve had a meltdown.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
They also don't really have anyone to replace him or spend his cap space on so might as well keep him at this point.
That's exactly what I was saying the other day, who's going to replace him? I've said that about Jake and lindgren. Unless people have a realistic replacement then you can't just piss these guys away as if they're ECHL players. I think everybody knows that Jake is limited at this point and it'd probably be better for the team if he moves on, but at this point what the hell are you going to do? You don't have assets to trade for anything, the free agent market is dead, and you need to find a defenseman to fill out your top six.

I mean if somehow this Detroit trade is resurrected I've seriously got to wonder if instead of buying out Justin Holl they end up keeping them on the third pair at this point because they need an NHL defenseman of some sort to put with Jones

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
And the loser is Adam Fox who is going to go another 4-5 years with an anchor.
I think an intelligent coach will rightfully try new defensive combinations especially if our turnover is modest.

Reactions: Atax

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
What Drury is saying here is "hey, Laf, Igor and Miller are going to cost 23 million next summer, what else am I supposed to do"
the answer is "sign good players and deal with the consequences when we need to?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad