GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
You could trade one of your top 9 for a better player. Include other assets, take on salary, etc, etc. None of that is possible until Trouba's salary is gone.
Which one of the top-9 is being traded outside of Kakko? And what are you going to get for him? Not a huge upgrade unless you are trading him+1st for another rental.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
What do you mean that doesn't work? Every team that wins the cup fills gaps at the deadline. Are you looking to be unrealistic and replace Mika or are you talking about filling a winger here or a D there? I mean when we went to the cup we literally traded our captain for one of the biggest stars in the league on deadline day. It happens all the time.
Correct they are filling gaps at the deadline. Such as a bottom 6 guy or third pairing

What team has won recently that has traded at the deadline for their 1D or top line RW?
These teams build their team in the summer and fill in the less important edges later.

As opposed to Drury who goes into the season with a partially built team and build it on the fly in March.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
they werent competitive against florida. they won 2 OT games they had no business winning. they were 2 games away, but realistically it wasnt that close.

In what world did they have no business winning the first OT game. Completely even game. You could argue the Panthers weren't particularly good in game 1 got some bounces and Igor softies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
2 wins from the Cup but 2 very big, very real wins against a team that's clearly better than us.

People are going to be rightfully annoyed if the team doesn't improve. If we don't, what are we doing?
I know this is HFNYR, but what has Florida done to stay on top? They lost Montour and OEL. Montour is a massive loss for them, even if he wasn't as productive as he was in the past. Some of that is no summer to train after a bad injury.

They kept Reinhart, which is massive, but what is that defense going to look like? Who is taking a top 4 role for them? They've got to pay Lundell too.

Then we look at the teams that lost in R2. Boston improved down the middle, but lost wingers. Marchand is getting old. Don't even start on Carolina. They lost tons of guys without replacements coming and haven't even addressed their goaltending.

The West teams might be different, but if we get to face a west team next June, I'll take my chances.

So my question to everyone is who surpassed the Rangers in the East today or over the past week? Was there a 1st round team that improved so much they are better than the current Rangers? Are we worried about the Devils moves? Washington is better, but we smoked that team operating around 75%. Tampa lost their best defenseman. Toronto is Toronto.

All these teams throwing money around were either outside the playoffs or 1st round exits.

I'm down to move on from Trouba and Lindgren, but we did a couple things today that make this team better. We lost Gus and rentals. There is still a chance to add to the roster over the summer, but if we did an East power rankings right now, the Rangers would be 1.

Reactions: mike14

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have no problem with what came in or didn't come in today.

They didn't waste assets on something unhelpful because it's a big name like Kane or Stamkos.

I like Reilly Smith.

Carrick sucks but 4th liners suck. I'm not tearing my hair out over it.

I'm concerned about what didn't go out. I was hoping more of the trash would be gone today.

It would be absolutely heartbreaking if they went in with the same defense.

I don't wanna hear they tried. They tried to maximize value for Trouba and the trade they wanted didn't materialize, and they're ok with it because they can get the cap space next year.

They didn't waste assets on something unhelpful because it's a big name like Kane or Stamkos.

I like Reilly Smith.

I'm concerned about what didn't go out. I was hoping more of the trash would be gone today.

I don't wanna hear they tried. They tried to maximize value for Trouba and the trade they wanted didn't materialize yet. They're ok with it because they can get the cap space next year.

If they see it as cap space, they already don't get it. It's not about cap space. It's about a player that can't be on the ice for a serious contender.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know this is HFNYR, but what has Florida done to stay on top? They lost Montour and OEL. Montour is a massive loss for them, even if he wasn't as productive as he was in the past. Some of that is no summer to train after a bad injury.

They kept Reinhart, which is massive, but what is that defense going to look like? Who is taking a top 4 role for them? They've got to pay Lundell too.

Then we look at the teams that lost in R2. Boston improved down the middle, but lost wingers. Marchand is getting old. Don't even start on Carolina. They lost tons of guys without replacements coming and haven't even addressed their goaltending.

The West teams might be different, but if we get to face a west team next June, I'll take my chances.

So my question to everyone is who surpassed the Rangers in the East today or over the past week? Was there a 1st round team that improved so much they are better than the current Rangers? Are we worried about the Devils moves? Washington is better, but we smoked that team operating around 75%. Tampa lost their best defenseman. Toronto is Toronto.

All these teams throwing money around were either outside the playoffs or 1st round exits.

I'm down to move on from Trouba and Lindgren, but we did a couple things today that make this team better. We lost Gus and rentals. There is still a chance to add to the roster over the summer, but if we did an East power rankings right now, the Rangers would be 1.
I trust the Panthers to fill holes whereas I don't trust this team.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Unless they make another major move, we are once again hoping for help from young kids (Othmann, Jones, Berard) and assessing at the deadline once more.

But my issue is we aren’t recouping any picks. Not one player has been moved for futures in years. It’s good that we have some nice looking role guys from rounds 3-5 that might hit, but they need to keep being active trying to bring in young UDFAs from Europe and the NCAA to provide depth to a roster that as of today has zero. Say what you want about the top 6 or top 4 but we have exactly zero quality depth right now.

Kind of wild that we traded Buch for the kind of 2nd rounders that we fart out every time Drury forgets his daily Gas-X now
They’ve kept some of their first rounders which is what matters. They’ve had enough difficulty turning them into players.

Who did this organization select in the 2nd round in the last 10 years who’s made a notably impact for us? Lindbom, Henrikssen, Robertson? Not saying we can’t use more picks, but let’s not overstate it either. The only good thing we’ve gotten from our 2’s is trading them away.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I trust the Panthers to fill holes whereas I don't trust this team.
With what space? They want to move Knight to create room, but is someone taking a goalie at 4M that hasn't played?

Maybe if they dump Ekblad, but that's just another top 4 D spot to fill.

I think they're a great organization on finding players to fill roles, but it's going to be very difficult for that to happen this time around.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Florida has proven to be great at pro scouting

Reactions: noncents

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
They’ve kept some of their first rounders which is what matters. They’ve had enough difficulty turning them into players.

Who did this organization select in the 2nd round in the last 10 years who’s made a notably impact for us? Lindbom, Henrikssen, Robertson? Not saying we can’t use more picks, but let’s not overstate it either. The only good thing we’ve gotten from our 2’s is trading them away.
In the last 4 years we've picked in the 2nd round twice. Cuylle and Sykora. Even if Adam busts, we're still at 50%

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I like Reilly Smith.

I don't wanna hear they tried. They tried to maximize value for Trouba and the trade they wanted didn't materialize, and they're ok with it because they can get the cap space next year.

I like Reilly Smith.

I don't wanna hear they tried. They tried to maximize value for Trouba and the trade they wanted didn't materialize yet. They're ok with it because they can get the cap space next year.

If they see it as cap space, they already don't get it. It's not about cap space. It's about a player that can't be on the ice for a serious contender.

Can you imagine if we did something like sign Skjei or Kane for the contracts they got? The board would explode.

People would literally die.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Rangers were 2 wins from the cup. This team was damn good. I really don't understand how people think we suck because we didn't overpay some bum today.
They were not 2 wins from the cup, they were 6 wins from the cup.

And they got dominated by the panthers.

And the reason for that have not been addressed at all, except maybe very minorly by the Smith addition

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
With what space? They want to move Knight to create room, but is someone taking a goalie at 4M that hasn't played?

I think they're a great organization on finding players to fill roles, but it's going to be very difficult for that to happen this time around.
Even so, I don't think we're automatically the best team in the East if Florida takes a step back.

They're much better than us. They probably still beat us without Montour. Carolina is still right there. The Devils might have goaltending now.

All we did was sweep the worst playoff team of the modern era and they still had the puck more than we did.

This Rangers team is not serious rolling out the defense corps they have.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This is the biggest thing for me I think. Drury has proven that he can identify some of these players are not good fits based on the cap hit.

But he’s yet to show that these guys need to go because they’re not that good. Lindgren being the biggest offender

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

The players left are good enough to remain an elite team with whoever fills those holes. Florida's top players aren't ours or Carolina's, they are a cut above. The rangers core is pretty good, it just not cup winning good. Not many teams have barkov, reinhart et al.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I don’t find this argument wholly convincing because while NYR are below league average at drafting in the cap era I don’t have any theoretical reason to believe that we are uniquely bad with second round picks, with the exception of stupid goalies.

Stepan, Cuylle, Anisimov, Tyutin, Sauer, Dubinsky were hits. There was a solid stretch from 2003-2009. We’ve foregone too many of them of late like they’re candy- it adds up. They need to get some of these 2nd and 3rd round lotteries back in the game.

My overreaching point- I’m glad NYR didn’t give out dumb contracts today. The salary retention took the Smith deal to “okay” in my book. But everything I’ve seen points to yet another deadline where we are going to have to give up good assets for rentals. We are running out of second round selections, and that’s going to limit us to dumpster diving garbage or paying the real thing.

The team as assembled doesn’t give me much optimism. At least if you waive Trouba, sign a Teravainen, and get a cheaper veteran right D I feel like they’ve got some sort of goal. Right now they’re playing like last years team was just not quite fortunate enough and that hopefully with 1-2 more playoffs of the same thing we are more fortunate. It’s not very proactive.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad