GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Lol I'm sorry I know it's been a lot of doom and gloom but I can't believe the Rangers found a way to trade away a second round pick on the first day of free agency when players only cost cap space. If Riley Smith could be traded for a second then why wouldn't the Rangers just sign a free agent and not give them treats protection and trade that player for pics when they need the cap space

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Lol I'm sorry I know it's been a lot of doom and gloom but I can't believe the Rangers found a way to trade away a second round pick on the first day of free agency when players only cost cap space. If Riley Smith could be traded for a second then why wouldn't the Rangers just sign a free agent and not give them treats protection and trade that player for pics when they need the cap space
id assume the 2nd was for the retention and the 5th was for smith.

Were handcuffed because of Trouba and my guess is he’s giving his list at 5pm because he wants to make it clear he doesn’t want to be moved, and he’s hoping all the dust settles and the rangers need a rhd.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Based on this autocorrect, I'm guessing you have a dog.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But doesn’t he know he has that in his back pocket as last resort? If it’s truly done with Trouba here, and say he has to buy him out the worst case is 4 million saved.

The second buyout window can be used as long as Lindgren just files for arbitration, they don’t even need to go to arbitration to get the second buyout window open.
If you want to make moves in free agency the second buyout period is too late. 90% of worthwhile players are gone by then.

That no trade happened, that Trouba hasn't been waived, and that he wasn't bought out, all reinforce my belief that the team had no real interest in going big this off-season. They'll see what happens this year and then retool or rebuild.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Have you seen the contracts being handed out? Smith is a pretty good acquisition considering that. And given that his contract expires after next season, we can flip him at the deadline if he doesn't work out or if we wanna upgrade.

Reactions: egelband

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I just think they're getting ahead of themselves a bit on that front. If NYR bombs out again next season you need to strongly consider a retool or rebuild.

If Drury is trying to create a team that competes for the next decade, not just the nest 2 years, we should probably stop trading away half of our draft selections from rounds 2-4 rather than just limit long term contracts for veteran players.
That's just it isn't it. Sort of like half in half out. This core really shouldn't even get another opportunity but because of the contracts they really can't do much. And with Lafreniere, Miller, and Shesterkin needing contracts Drury is forced to go for bandaid fixes instead of trying to push this group over the top. It's a bad place to be in. On the one hand planning for the future but on the other wasting tons of assets on short term fixes who aren't going to move the needle enough.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wonder if the want to kick the tires on PO Joseph as an opton in a depth role.

Plenty of options on the left side if they want to build some depth there.

If they really want a top 9 level forward, we're probably looking at Skinner or Henrique

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
id assume the 2nd was for the retention and the 5th was for smith.

Were handcuffed because of Trouba and my guess is he’s giving his list at 5pm because he wants to make it clear he doesn’t want to be moved, and he’s hoping all the dust settles and the rangers need a rhd.
where are you getting any of that from? you're just inventing shit.

if Drury is confident he will shed at least 4mm from troubas cap hit via trade buyout or waiver, he can operate within the 9mm over the cap that is allowed under CBA.

We had cap room to allocate this year. Why we chose to trade a 2nd is a complete mystery. it's how you shorten competitive windows.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
because chris drury is woefully overrated. hes been to 2 ecf's on the back of gorton's and jd's players. he gave away buch for free. he signed goodrow to an embarrassing contract. he decided to bridge miller and not give igor a long term contract. hes reportedly had issues with multiple players (lias, panarin, goodrow, trouba to just name a few). his team have collapsed during the playoffs and have been able to stop the bleeding in 3 straight series. they lost 3 straight to both florida and tampa and 3 out of 4 to nj. the guy has failed miserably to add to the core he was given.

i am usually very positive when it comes to the rangers, especially after following perennial losers in the carolina panthers, charlotte hornets, and new york mets, but i am out on drury. to me he never earned this job with how the whole jd and gorton thing went down and has proven hes not up to the task in my opinion.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
If you want to make moves in free agency the second buyout period is too late. 90% of worthwhile players are gone by then.

That no trade happened, that Trouba hasn't been waived, and that he wasn't bought out, all reinforce my belief that the team had no real interest in going big this off-season. They'll see what happens this year and then retool or rebuild.

But you can go 10% over the cap this summer is what I meant, they could have signed someone if they wanted, as well as just not signing Lindgren and Schneider officially until after the Trouba second buyout window.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
You say Drury was asleep at the wheel, I say he was sleeping in the trunk with the keys still inside the bar while most of the other GMs went drunk driving.
So he saved himself in the short term but long term he will suffocate because he closed the trunk on himself and doesn’t have the keys

Classic Chris

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
These prices... Wennberg 5M? Stamkos 8M x 4? Patrick Kane 6.5M with bonuses added? Holy crap.

No wonder Drury is doing nothing.
Wennberg got 5M because he's playing for the Sharks. Stamkos, agreed. Too much. Kane is 6.5M with all the bonuses. The base salary is 4M.

I'm disappointed we did nothing on defence.

Reactions: Atax

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
because chris drury is woefully overrated. hes been to 2 ecf's on the back of gorton's and jd's players. he gave away buch for free. he signed goodrow to an embarrassing contract. he decided to bridge miller and not give igor a long term contract. hes reportedly had issues with multiple players (lias, panarin, goodrow, trouba to just name a few). his team have collapsed during the playoffs and have been able to stop the bleeding in 3 straight series. they lost 3 straight to both florida and tampa and 3 out of 4 to nj. the guy has failed miserably to add to the core he was given.

i am usually very positive when it comes to the rangers, especially after following perennial losers in the carolina panthers, charlotte hornets, and new york mets, but i am out on drury. to me he never earned this job with how the whole jd and gorton thing went down and has proven hes not up to the task in my opinion.
The only good thing I'll give Drury credit on is swapping out Strome for Trocheck. That was his one golden move so far.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
So what's the explanation?

Set the Trouba situation aside, it still doesn't appear they had any interest in making a splash.

I honestly don’t know, he sees Trouba is a huge issue, but they desperately need a top 4 dman. Going back to the well with Fox and Lindgren and Schneider and Miller is not good at all.

I also think Jones is more of a 7 than a 6, but fine starting the season with him on the third pair. At minimum they need a 5-6 dman, and that’s just going back to the gross Lindgren Fox well.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Have you seen the contracts being handed out? Smith is a pretty good acquisition considering that. And given that his contract expires after next season, we can flip him at the deadline if he doesn't work out or if we wanna upgrade.
plenty of 2year value contracts given out today. they also could be moved down the line and they didn't cost draft capital. You really think Smith is the answer??

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Still time to sign Kylington and get creative with a hockey trade to improve the wing situation.

When everyone realizes that our first pair is very set with Miller-Fox, you can stop sweating a bit.

Miller-Fox
Kylington-Schneider
Jones-Lindgren/whatever

Go find a winger with one or two years left and go get him. Next year’s first. Kakko. Any prospect other than Othmann.

The answer was NOT in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad