GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Wennberg got 5M because he's playing for the Sharks. Stamkos, agreed. Too much. Kane is 6.5M with all the bonuses. The base salary is 4M.

I'm disappointed we did nothing on defence.

Wennberg is an overpayment.
Stamkos is going to be 38 at the end of that, so yes on both term and $
Kane is exactly what I said, too, and yikes.

I don't think the D is done with yet. I think Trouba is out and someone is in. Hard to walk all that back at this point.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
More underwhelming moves from Drury. Carrick and Smith remind me of the Wennberg Roslovic trade deadline. Players that won't really move the needle much. The defense is still trash. He better have something up his sleeve.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
The only good thing I'll give Drury credit on is swapping out Strome for Trocheck. That was his one golden move so far.
that really is his only good move so far, other than drafting.

Drury is not a good GM. He never should have been given the keys to car. The entire front office should have been swept out not leave the little weasel in.

Hopefully we hirer a new president who fires his ass. There are few people in rangers history who i disdain more than Drury.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I honestly don’t know, he sees Trouba is a huge issue, but they desperately need a top 4 dman. Going back to the well with Fox and Lindgren and Schneider and Miller is not good at all.

I also think Jones is more of a 7 than a 6, but fine starting the season with him on the third pair. At minimum they need a 5-6 dman, and that’s just going back to the gross Lindgren Fox well.
Replace Lindgren with someone capable of playing top 4, and running with miller Schneider for the year seems like a big upgrade.
You then have to just make sure you’re getting some value/production out of the bottom pair and we’re a lot better than last year.

Reactions: Atax

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Right now really am curious about Trouba’s fate. All the big names are gone, it’s really trades now, and Trouba’s fate.

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
this has been a thoroughly underwhelming first day of free agency. i mean yeah in a vacuum swapping 3 years of Goodrow for 1 of Smith is an upgrade but like...okay? The 3 biggest problems with the team are all still sitting there in Ranger blue, and we're not winning shit with any of them here

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
Right now really am curious about Trouba’s fate. All the big names are gone, it’s really trades now, and Trouba’s fate.
gotta imagine trouba is going nowhere. even if they were to trade him, no one to allocate the money to as you said. running it back with the same team that was completely mismatched against florida.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
And that to me is absolutely not any sort of step forward or improvement.
It's July 1st. Lots of time to figure out where everything fits, maybe training camp comes and a couple guys bust out. Sign someone out of college, overseas, someone doesn't fit into another teams plans, lots of time and worst case scenario we run this out and save cap space for the deadline and add players there.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
There were a few cheaper players that I wish we could have gotten, specifically Sean Walker. But it didn't happen.

The circumstances of our cap were such that taking on a long term deal beyond this season was really tough without a plan and ability to jettison other contracts.

That said, we'll never know the impact of publicly divorcing two big team players just as Free Agency began (and who were essentially brought in as essentially free agents). It must have rubbed some agents and players the wrong way beyond Goody and Trouba. Like, if I'm a role/complimentary player with tons of options am I picking the Rangers after seeing how neither Goody and Troubs didn't like how their situations were handled? I dunno. There's a reality to being a pro athlete, but that reality still means you might consider how a team is perceived as treating their non-stars.

Rangers likely are taking a step back this season if this is the team. I get the constraints. I'm a little bummed. And I hate constantly trading away our picks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
gotta imagine trouba is going nowhere. even if they were to trade him, no one to allocate the money to as you said. running it back with the same team that was completely mismatched against florida.

LB saying he is as good as gone, yet having a hard time believing that.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What can Drury really do until they dump Trouba's contract? If we sign someone, any GM can start twisting the screws on us because they we'll have gone from "We'd like to trade Jacob Trouba" to "We have to trade Jacob Trouba."
Bingo. I was waiting for someone to mention this.

Going over the cap removes any leverage you have.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Idk im not really sure what else people wanted the Rangers to do today? Would you feel better if we overpaid Stamkos/DeBrusk/Toffoli types? I wouldnt, and I liked those guys going into the day. Drury also may feel like Berard and Othmann are near ready. We are probably going to have 2 rookies on the opening night roster, and Cuylle is in his second year.

The defense is what is concerning right now. The forward group is stale to ranger fans, but still close to the best in the league.
This post is not consistent with the previous post you made. You defended today as if they are already as good as they can be. There are worse today than they were at the end of the season. Talking about internal options is kind of silly, you think they were trying to clear out salary just to give internal options an opportunity? They wanted to buy a certain player or players and they completely whiffed. They don't have assets to add good players in trades bc they pissed away their assets on rentals unless you're dipping into 1st or otter or Gabe. People talk about Berard like he's something significant in the trade, but he's not.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
Idk im not really sure what else people wanted the Rangers to do today? Would you feel better if we overpaid Stamkos/DeBrusk/Toffoli types? I wouldnt, and I liked those guys going into the day. Drury also may feel like Berard and Othmann are near ready. We are probably going to have 2 rookies on the opening night roster, and Cuylle is in his second year.

The defense is what is concerning right now. The forward group is stale to ranger fans, but still close to the best in the league.
the march, arvidsson, walker, an roy deals all would have been great deals here in my opinion.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
btw it’s obvious the team is the one that been leaking the Trouba news to Brooks

who else is giving Larry the info that Trouba is done here one way or the other. Trouba wants to stay so his side isn’t telling anyone that

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I just think they're getting ahead of themselves a bit on that front. If NYR bombs out again next season you need to strongly consider a retool or rebuild.

If Drury is trying to create a team that competes for the next decade, not just the nest 2 years, we should probably stop trading away half of our draft selections from rounds 2-4 rather than just limit long term contracts for veteran players.
Going to the ECF isn’t “bombing out.”

Although I do want to see some changes.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
The rangers are worse today and with less assets while other teams like the canes, devils, caps, and so on have all gotten better. We’ll make the playoffs but we are done in the first round easily. Can’t roll out the same team and yet, that’s what we are doing.

Reactions: mas0764

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's July 1st. Lots of time to figure out where everything fits, maybe training camp comes and a couple guys bust out. Sign someone out of college, overseas, someone doesn't fit into another teams plans, lots of time and worst case scenario we run this out and save cap space for the deadline and add players there.
These are all minor things that you're bringing up, they're nothing too significantly improve a team. Aside from getting a gift at this point I don't think this team's going to look much better than it does today because the organization really just does not have very many assets left to trade unless you're going to dip into otter, Gabe, or first round pics which will just decimate the depth chart

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Reading this thread, I'm swinging like a pendulum between Drury being Stephen Hawking-level intelligent without the wheelchair limitations or is a bum who thinks those women profiled on "Snapped" on Oxygen are geniuses for trying to kill their spouses and collect their life insurances.

Make up your mind, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad