Management Rate Staios so far

Rate Staios as GM so far.

• 5 stars, perfect, immaculate performance.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 4 stars, very good.

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • 3 stars good but could have done better.

Votes: 42 38.2%
  • 2 stars, acceptable but had higher expectations.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • 1 star, fire Staios, unacceptable performance.

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I understand the rational behind every single move thus far, so that is already better than the previous GM we had.

In the end, I like this roster more than last years. Remains to be seen if it is good enough to fight for a wildcard spot. A lot is weighing on continued improvement/maturing of our young players.
I totally agree that how this plays out depends on the core which is why I believe SS wanted to surround them with vets who know what it takes to be competitive and win. It's sink or swim time for this core.

The true measure will be whether (or not) the Senators sit in a Playoff spot, at some point between the 1st of December, and the Christmas break.
I'll be happy with not being out of the playoff race in November.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Andlauer is building a brand. He needed to move past Dorian and did so when the time accorded a reason to do so. That allowed for Staios to step in and build that brand. These first two steps should not be marginalized as they have set the tone.

After allowing time to study what was in the basket left by Dorion, DJSmith and company were replaced by JMartin, Alfie and company to install some systems and to give feedback on the viability of the players. Their observations as well should not be marginalized.

After that time elapsed, a new coach and staff was assembled. We need to assume that both sets of coaches (Alfie being on both lists) would have impact into the decision-making tree as to what the specific issues were and the potential solutions to solve them. Now the clock is really ticking.

I think Staios has handled the whole story in a very professional manner. He was able to make the Ullmark trade on a level no-one though would be possible. And getting out from under the Korpisalo debacle was a huge plus.

He was trapped in a system he did not create with long-term core contracts eating up CAP space and an injury situation (NOrris) that is still playing out. Add to that the need to change the chemistry and get the brand established and its easy to see how difficult the whole package was shaping up.

He obviously wanted an experienced RD player now for Chychrun, instead of future draft capital. He made that happen the best way be could. Not the flashiest, but better than the LD/RD mix that existed.

He understood that certain players, while still playing a small part, were not the players he wanted for the Senators brand as they were not improving and often hurting the team as a whole. These are really tough decisions to understand. And he needed the cap space to improve the total group. He understood that they were just not achieving their potential or impacting the team positively and let them go or traded them away for minimal return. I wish Brannstrom, Joseph, and those guys well. Too bad it didn't work out here for whatever reason, but that was on them, not Staios.

He brought in veteran and complementary players to add to the team chemistry. He did this on a shoestring budget that still allowed him to spend appropriately, not splashy. They can be positioned to make a difference.

He handled the Draft and we will see what the fallout is over the next years, but at least we drafted new talent. Yakemchuk should be fun to watch.

He signed Pinto to a reasonable bridge deal. Pinto could very well be our No1 centre. He has become a core producer in the top 6. He makes the possibility of a 1A / 1B scenario as to top lines.

He signed some good talent for Belleville and who knows if any of the Belleville Sens will actually make the Ottawa Sens (Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Jarventie, Gaudette, Guenette, others?).

I am reasonably impressed with the list of accomplishments to date and all accomplished within the quick time-frame that was the last few months. I am sure there is still more to come (Andonovski today). Nice job. Impressive.

Great post, thx for sharing.

Reactions: Blotto71

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The framing of this is pretty dishonest.

- He traded a first round pick (which was a late first) to acquire Ullmark AND dump Korpisalo - a bad contract he had nothing to do with.
People keep saying we paid to dump Korpisalo and I just don't see the evidence from Boston's perspective. We had Forsberg, so if the Bruins were willing to facilitate the trade by taking on a little cap in return AND getting a backup goalie at the same time, it would have made a lot more sense for them to take Forsberg with 1 year to expiry vs. Korpisalo with 4 years. Korpisalo might not have had much trade value but some of you keep talking about this trade like the Bruins are abject morons instead of one of the best performing and best managed organizations of the last 15 years.

At the end of the day, we still offloaded a 1RP for a guy who could walk within a year. No? There were other avenues to get rid of Korpisalo, including a buyout or retaining a little bit more on him to pay a little less in draft currency. We're already retaining $4M of his $16M owed. A buyout would have cost $10.67M spread out over 8 years. The opportunity cost of that 1RP was around $6.7M, if we had pulled the trigger on a buyout this year.
- We were never going to recoup an asset for Joseph, we tried to move him all last summer and again this year. Nobody wanted him. Again, not Staios’ contract.
We traded him for no money coming back. There's a big difference. So why did we do that? And how did it come to be that we even got to that position? This is a money out, money in league. So why are we trying to move the money out without taking any money back in? And wasting draft capital to do it? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing you guys complained about all the time with the last ownership group?
- The biggest problem with the Chychrun trade is what we gave up for him. Again, not Staios’ doing. He did what he had to in order to cover our actual needs, which is what we should have done in the first place rather than throwing three picks down the drain.
So you give up a lot to get the guy and the solution is to make a bad deal to get rid of him? How the f*** does that make sense?
- Do Jensen and Ullmark not count as veterans? Amadio might not be a “vet” I guess but has a lot more playoff experience than our roster does, including a Stanley Cup.
By this logic, if Ullmark is a veteran, then what's Korpisalo? He's played in more games than Ullmark. Amadio is a 1:1 replacement for a guy with almost exactly the same career pedigree. Roughly the same amount of regular season and playoff GP, championship teams, etc.

Jensen is definitely a veteran. Is he the right kind of fit, from an on-ice perspective? I guess we're gonna find out if he's going to keep up with the pace of the game or not. To be honest, I have him a lot closer to Hamonic, relatively speaking, than I do as a Top4 D solution. But I'm willing (more likely, praying) that he can get it done.
If Staios is giving up picks to dump Amadio in 2 years and buying out Jensen next summer, he will get the same flack Dorion got. Can’t blame him because undoing the mess doesn’t look perfect.
This is where we differ. I don't want 2 more years of "let's see how these moves work out". You know how I know some of these moves aren't that good? Because you can already start asking the hard questions. Is Jensen washed? Will Amadio be good enough to justify that contract? Will Perron provide full value for his contract as a 36 year old? Is Ullmark going to be a 1 and done? Will Green be a good head coach or will his results look like the ones he had in Vancouver? From my perspective, we added a whole lot of question marks to this roster and we need almost every single one of these transactions to go right for us to have any hope of success. What's the odds on that parlay bet if you were going to place it?

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just awful

That Perron signing mixed with paying to get rid of Joseph

That Chychrun situation and the trade...

I had hopes that he could salvage this rebuild but now it's going to take miracles, like a Norris going back to 2021-22 level and stay healthy going forward

Note : read a part in a post talking about the "Senators brand", so is Perron part of that? Crosschecked Zub in the head when he had NOTHING to do with Larkin injury? lol not a good start for the new brand

Reactions: SENStastic

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Staios paid a 3rd to get rid of Joseph and his 6.6M remaining.

Yzerman paid a 4th to get rid of Fabbri and his 4.2M remaining.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Just awful

I had hopes that he could salvage this rebuild but now it's going to take miracles, like a Norris going back to 2021-22 level and stay healthy going forward

Note : read a part in a post talking about the "Senators brand", so is Perron part of that? Crosschecked Zub in the head when he had NOTHING to do with Larkin injury? lol not a good start for the new brand
"miracle" you're being a bit dramatic...

Reactions: Masked

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"miracle" you're being a bit dramatic...

Well, this is our present AND future :

Stützle (22)
Tkachuk (25)
Batherson (26)
Norris (25)
Pinto (23)
Greig (22)
Sanderson (22)
Chabot (27)
Zub (29)
Kleven (22)

With Norris being a huge question mark

Maybe Yakemchuk will be added to that group, maybe another guy or two from all the other guys (Ostapchuk, Halliday, Jarventie, etc)

It's getting kinda "limited" upside

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
People keep saying we paid to dump Korpisalo and I just don't see the evidence from Boston's perspective. We had Forsberg, so if the Bruins were willing to facilitate the trade by taking on a little cap in return AND getting a backup goalie at the same time, it would have made a lot more sense for them to take Forsberg with 1 year to expiry vs. Korpisalo with 4 years. Korpisalo might not have had much trade value but some of you keep talking about this trade like the Bruins are abject morons instead of one of the best performing and best managed organizations of the last 15 years.

At the end of the day, we still offloaded a 1RP for a guy who could walk within a year. No? There were other avenues to get rid of Korpisalo, including a buyout or retaining a little bit more on him to pay a little less in draft currency. We're already retaining $4M of his $16M owed. A buyout would have cost $10.67M spread out over 8 years. The opportunity cost of that 1RP was around $6.7M, if we had pulled the trigger on a buyout this year.

By this logic, if Ullmark is a veteran, then what's Korpisalo? He's played in more games than Ullmark. Amadio is a 1:1 replacement for a guy with almost exactly the same career pedigree. Roughly the same amount of regular season and playoff GP, championship teams, etc.
Saying this deal was good for Ottawa isn’t the equivalent of saying Boston is stupid. I think if anyone’s going to get the most out of Korpisalo, it’s them. And I think if the value of the deal went up by taking him on, they likely decided to take 1st round pick with the confidence that they could turn him into a decent back up.

Doesn’t really matter though. We’re not the Bruins and we don’t have Jeremy Swayman. I can appreciate why they did it just as much as I can recognize it was essential for us to move on.

Let’s not pretend Korpisalo had any sort of positive value. The pick would be lower without him, it’s common sense that the Bruins were not sitting there begging us to include him in the deal.

We traded him for no money coming back. There's a big difference. So why did we do that? And how did it come to be that we even got to that position? This is a money out, money in league. So why are we trying to move the money out without taking any money back in? And wasting draft capital to do it? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing you guys complained about all the time with the last ownership group?
The previous ownership group would have traded Joseph and then not replaced him. We just spent his money elsewhere.

Obviously if Staios had a player he liked that could be moved for Joseph, he would have done that.

So you give up a lot to get the guy and the solution is to make a bad deal to get rid of him? How the f*** does that make sense?
Nope, but Chychrun came here and clearly wasn’t worth what we gave up for him. Now he’s a rental coming off a bad year. The fact that his value is low right now isn’t Staios’ fault.

We got a useful player out of it. It’s been made pretty clear by Dreger, Garrioch etc that we tried to get a 1st and 2nd round pick for him. We couldn’t, so I’m not sure why getting a solid RD which we’ve needed for years is a knock on Staios because Dorion paid a crazy price for him.

Jensen is definitely a veteran. Is he the right kind of fit, from an on-ice perspective? I guess we're gonna find out if he's going to keep up with the pace of the game or not. To be honest, I have him a lot closer to Hamonic, relatively speaking, than I do as a Top4 D solution. But I'm willing (more likely, praying) that he can get it done.
Ullmark seems a lot more vocal than Korpisalo and his leadership as a goalie was specifically brought up.

And Amadio played 16 games on Vegas’ cup run and put up 10 points. Joseph was a healthy scratch for most of Tampa’s run. Let’s not act like Staios didn’t consider personality, performance in important games etc in his acquisitions of what he was looking for from his vets.

Ok, feel free to be skeptical about Jensen’s quality of play. He’s still a vet.

This is where we differ. I don't want 2 more years of "let's see how these moves work out". You know how I know some of these moves aren't that good? Because you can already start asking the hard questions. Is Jensen washed? Will Amadio be good enough to justify that contract? Will Perron provide full value for his contract as a 36 year old? Is Ullmark going to be a 1 and done? Will Green be a good head coach or will his results look like the ones he had in Vancouver? From my perspective, we added a whole lot of question marks to this roster and we need almost every single one of these transactions to go right for us to have any hope of success. What's the odds on that parlay bet if you were going to place it?
I can play this game with any team in the league. Did Toronto give Domi too much term? Is Tanev going to regress at his age with all the hard miles? Did Nashville commit too long to Brady Skeij? Was Stamkos benefiting largely from Kucherov last season? Will Dubois suck in Washington like he sucked in LA? What about Chychrun? Will Lindholm play in Boston like he played in the playoffs or regular season? Did Zadorov’s playoff performance lead to an overpayment?

This is just silly, no one is getting players without question marks in free agency.

The point is at least there seems to be logic applied to the moves made. Every player acquired actually fits a need we had in some capacity. How it all works out remains to be seen.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
The make up of the team, and the culture badly needed changing after years of god awful starts and performance being way under what the team on paper looked like it could do.

Part of that is writing off bad deals and underperformers, regardless of the cost to acquire them. And changing the mix of what you have.

It is what successful teams do because all teams have bad deals. Actually make hard decisions and have an overall view of what you want, and get players that fit.

Some folks are looking at the moves with player specific tunnel vision, and some are upset that this player or that is moved out. I don't see anything horrific that has gone on here, and some nice upside.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
2 stars: Passable but needs improvement/progression.

This will be Staios' second year at top. First year he got a complete pass and passed the buck to Dorion, fine. Now he's really in charge though and it looks decent. Ullmark is a good add, Joseph addition by subtraction and Perron...his interview on TSN1200 this morning was baffling; don't blame him but who cares about his play with the Red Wings. The Red Wings have not won anything in ages.
If Perron can live to expectations and carry the team on his back to a Cup win, it's a fantastic signing.

The concern with Staios though, is that he goes full Public Service (and I say this as a barnacle-level public servant) that he'll get to year 3 and go:

"Well, we made progression and the team has good chemistry and let's see in another three years."
Thus giving himself a job for life, Media will be forbidden from criticizing him but how many years without playoffs or even playoff success (3rd round or Finals bare minimum acceptable standard) do we have to put up with before he puts the foot on the gas pedal and goes for it?

That said, this team should be expected to content for a WC spot or 3rd in Atlantic. Another missed year...it's on Staios and his buddy Andlauer.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Everything's going to hinge on coaching and Norris. If we can't get back to playing full effort D game, we're out. Green has a lot of work to do to get our forwards more engaged in our own zone and fix Chabot after DJ ruined him.

If Norris returns to 60% of his self, it gives us another weapon. If he's out for the year again, we have an 8M hole to plug and nobody to plug it.

I'm surprised at the chychrun value. I thought it would be somewhere between what we paid and what we got, but if that's the market, there's nothing we can do. Retaining a little on him for pure futures seems like it would have made more sense. I'd imagine the market for him at 3M at any point in the season would have been high.

For Joseph, I'd have rather kept him and the 3rd and not signed one of Amadio/Perron. It's obvious that nobody valued Joseph for whatever reason, but surprising how much it took to get rid of him.

I think keeping these two guys for a few more months in a new system would have increased their values.

Not going to comment on the draft because I have no clue. He needs to evaluate his scouts over the next little while.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Just awful

Hey X. I'd rather Perron be with us than against us. He's a stop gap until someone like a Boucher arrives or a future trade returns a younger version. I think he'll do in a pinch.

Chychrun trade is about taking the best on the table I think. Staios wanted a return of an RD player in the package and that's the best he could get. Not my first choice either, but we are better sliding Washington's No2 RD into our No2 RD spot than running Chychrun or Kleven on their off side. Would have liked better for sure but I think Staios wanted the asset moved to keep distraction away. This is want he got. There seemed to be a lot of drama around Chychrun as well. Phoenix would also not have let him go unless there was a reason.

For Joseph, I have to think moving him comes from their observation of the player and Martinb's/Alfie's comment on him. He is not a goal scorer despite the speed. Penalty kill should be replaceable. IF the party guy mantra is true, its possible Staios is sending that message as well. Plus he did re-up Pinto quickly with the cash saved, while still keeping a small reserve for another forward at a cheaper cost or a RD3 to push JBD or Hamonic (who I think is Belleville bound this year). The 3rd? Stings, but seems to validate Staios (and the coaches?) wanted him gone asap.

Always appreciate your insights though, keeps me thinking.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
C+

Besides the Ullmark trade, it's clear he's trying to focus on locker room dynamics with the moves he's made. Since none of us are in the locker room, it's really difficult to tell how it will play out.

But from the outside looking in, the asset management has been poor. But if it creates a good culture of winning, it will be worth it.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I'm rating Staios early work as a 3 / 4. I think some of what he's done has been pretty fantastic given the problems he was faced with. While, perhaps other decisions have been a little more questionable. I actually like the roster moving forward and my expectation is that we'll be pushing for a playoff spot this season.

Hey X. I'd rather Perron be with us than against us. He's a stop gap until someone like a Boucher arrives or a future trade returns a younger version. I think he'll do in a pinch.

Chychrun trade is about taking the best on the table I think. Staios wanted a return of an RD player in the package and that's the best he could get. Not my first choice either, but we are better sliding Washington's No2 RD into our No2 RD spot than running Chychrun or Kleven on their off side. Would have liked better for sure but I think Staios wanted the asset moved to keep distraction away. This is want he got. There seemed to be a lot of drama around Chychrun as well. Phoenix would also not have let him go unless there was a reason.

For Joseph, I have to think moving him comes from their observation of the player and Martinb's/Alfie's comment on him. He is not a goal scorer despite the speed. Penalty kill should be replaceable. IF the party guy mantra is true, its possible Staios is sending that message as well. Plus he did re-up Pinto quickly with the cash saved, while still keeping a small reserve for another forward at a cheaper cost or a RD3 to push JBD or Hamonic (who I think is Belleville bound this year). The 3rd? Stings, but seems to validate Staios (and the coaches?) wanted him gone asap.

Always appreciate your insights though, keeps me thinking.
I don't think JBD gets waived. Maybe Hamonic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad